Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Front brakes make grinding sound when stopping.

16K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  IanRTL 
#1 ·
Every time I come to a stop, my front brakes make a grinding sound as if the rivets in the pads are rubbing against the disks! The pads are only 8 months old and just 10% worn. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Stop driving immediately, pull both tires off and do a complete inspection of the pads, rotors, mounting brackets and calipers. Report back what you find. I'm guessing either a separated brake pad or loose caliper bracket bolts.

#5 ·
My initial post may come across a bit exaggerated. The brakes work fine. When coming to a slow stop (2-5mph) there is a faint grinding sound when pressing pedal.

Its definitely coming from the front (both sides) and is constant when brakes are applied in forward or reverse. Sounds like metal to metal rub!

The sound is NOT present while driving down the road or braking from higher speeds, just when coming to a complete stop. Disks appear smooth and pads pretty new.

I gotta get a jack that will lift this beast in order to check caliper bolts and if slides are lubed good. I just bought this 06 RTL 4 months ago with 90k miles.
Sorry for not completely explaining.

#7 ·
I have a long frame floor jack that I use on the central jack points to lift the RL high enough to put jackstands under the side jackpoints. Once I have all 4 corners on jackstands, it's time to get down to business!

Sitting on two jackstands:

#8 ·
That looks so much easier than doing one wheel at a time. I have a 2 1/4 ton jack, though. I don't think it's heavy-duty enough to lift the entire front or back of the truck at the same time. One wheel at a time might be the only method I'll be able to follow. The one I have works just fine for our Accord, but I have yet to have to jack up the Ridge. I'm planning on doing it over the next few weeks to replace the pads and do a brake fluid change.

Anyways, Tnridgeliner, does this grinding noise still happen even after you've been driving for a while? Usually, if the truck sits overnight and there is any moisture in the air, you'll get some oxidation on the rotors that will rub off after the first few applications of the brakes. Has this just started happening, or has it been going on since you first put the brakes on? As was asked before, did you make sure the slide pins were lubed? That seems to be a commonly overlooked thing that can affect braking performance/sound. I'm not quite sure if it would cause the grinding sound like you're describing though...

#10 ·
That looks so much easier than doing one wheel at a time. I have a 2 1/4 ton jack, though. I don't think it's heavy-duty enough to lift the entire front or back of the truck at the same time. One wheel at a time might be the only method I'll be able to follow. The one I have works just fine for our Accord, but I have yet to have to jack up the Ridge. I'm planning on doing it over the next few weeks to replace the pads and do a brake fluid change.
Why not? You're only picking up half the truck, that's almost exactly half of your jack's *working* capacity. Usually the only problem with the jack is if the handle angle is too low to pump effectively.

KeS

#12 ·
I keep forgetting that I need to pick up a long frame jack. Found out the hard way that the short jack I bought the day after getting my truck didn't cut it on its own...

- Chip

#13 ·
That's just it. My 2 1/4 ton jack is a short jack. Definitely nowhere near the size of the one in the picture above. I've had it for quite some time and it's served the purpose very well. I've just never lifted a vehicle quite this heavy with it. I think I may just stick to one wheel at a time.

#17 ·
Anyways, back to the OP's topic... have you taken the truck anywhere for a diagnosis? Any other updates?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.