Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Drivers door speaker stopped working, where do I start?

6K views 35 replies 7 participants last post by  DaveG55 
#1 ·
I have a 07 RL and the speakers just stopped working. I think both the door and little round one stopped working. I have no experience in fixing that type of thing but am willing to try. Are there things I should try or test before taking the panel off? Should I even attempt it? I don't really have anyone to help me but most of the time I can figure things out with direction. IF there is a thread please direct me I could not find one. Thanks.

Beth

#6 ·
They are all working except the front two. What does that mean? I took off the rubber thing? that covers the wires connecting to the door. I don't see any loose or disconnected. I was looking at the instructions for taking off the door panel and that might be out of my league. What if I get the door handle off and can't get it back on?

beth

#7 ·
When you checked the balance, did you also make sure the fader was also on the center? If its the fader great if not,
I am Sorry to give you the bad news, it is not going to be wiring when both went out, and it is very rare that 2 speakers go bad at the same time also. I hope it was not the receivers amplifier. You are going to have to install a different one to test each side or test the Honda speakers with a different home receiver or computer. You may have to cut or slice the wire since those are Honda connectors.

Good luck and Check the fader and keep us posted

#8 ·
I put the fader and balance on the front right and it is dead. Laserguy, I am not sure what you are talking about. This audio stuff is new to me. I know how to change the oil, diff fluid and now the light bulbs. Oh, and I put the air filter back on right. How much is it going to cost to take it in somewhere? How do I know if I am getting ripped off or not?

Beth

#9 ·
If you take it to a reputable small local car a audio shop, I doubt they will charge more than $80 to trouble shoot and tell you speakers or radio are faulty, in fact if it's speakers and you buy a set from them the money can go towards the installation and new speakers, depending on the speakers maybe $120 - 150 installed.

Did you try to turn it to near 40 volume and try to hear the small speakers on the dash near the window ? There are 4 speakers basically dash and doors make sure all of them are out, iafter either confirming or not stil take it to a local car audio shop, and tell them your findings

#11 ·
Beth, I would put my money on one of the connections on the actual door speaker itself has worked itself loose. I say that because the tweeter is wired directly to the door speaker. If both don't work, it's because the door driver isn't getting signal.

Taking the door panel off is nowhere near as difficult as you might think, even though it does seem scary. It's just a few bolts and screws here and there and then you just pull the thing off. If you can change your oil, you can do this. Check out this thread:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28170

Pictures and step-by-step instructions. Passenger door is nearly identical in removal method as the driver's door - only with less electrical connections.

Once you have the panel off, you will see the door speaker. There is a little tab on the top of it that you need to push on and it will come out. Check the connection. If it is loose or not making contact, you've found your problem. If the connection is fine and it still doesn't work, you have a blown speaker. You can easily upgrade the door speakers for not much money if this is the case.

#12 ·
It is possible except that the only issue is that both front speakers are out, that means 2 door panel removals, she could try one door and if it is connected properly, then just stop and bring it to the shop for evaluation.

#13 ·
If it is just the passenger front, I would suggest physically swapping the left & right speaker to see if it is the speaker or the wiring!

Then you have it narrowed it down to wiring or speaker!

#14 · (Edited)
If there is continuity between the speaker terminals, cable off, chances are the speaker is fine. Speaker usually will also make some clicking sounds when attaching test leads from a meter, continuity tester, or small penlight battery, etc.

#15 ·
When 2 speakers go bad at the same time and the fader or balance is set correctly, wiring may not be the case. Many ways to find out but removing a door panel is just too much for Beth. Even the dash can be hard with those tricky and sometimes difficult connectors in tight areas.

We will have to wait and find out, a good shop should not charge much to figure it out.

#16 ·
I think she meant that the passenger door speaker and the tweeter are out - not both front door speakers. Beth, is that right?

#17 ·
after reading both fronts, sounds like you are right Ian.

In any case I do not think she felt good taking the door panel out. I hopping a good shop will just fix the problem for a fair fee and if it is bad, maybe replace both with a better than oem set for under $150.00

#18 ·
Sorry guys if I was not clear. The two speakers on the front drivers door are not working. All other door speakers and the sub in the back work.

If both are not working it sounds like the wiring somewhere between the door and the speakers? Sorry if this sounds elementary. Could both speakers have blown or gone bad? How would I test them? Never done that. I will try and take the panel off this weekend, probably Sunday so I have a whole day if there is an issue getting it back together.

Thanks for your advice, I will use it.

Beth

#20 ·
You will be amazed at how simple it is to take off the panel. I had never done it on the RL before, but was able to do so in under 5 minutes. If it takes you any longer than 15, I would be surprised. Just follow that thread I posted. Once you do the driver's door, you would be able to do the passenger door very easily. If you actually do have a bad door speaker, I'm sure there will be several members on here who would be willing to send you their old door speakers for just the price of shipping. I would give you mine, but I tossed them when I replaced them with aftermarket ones last spring.

#21 · (Edited)
These videos may help
The process is identical for this accord except for 3 Philips screws for the door handle attached to the door, and maybe the the 3 hex screws that attach the door lever after the plastic cover is removed and the other plastic cover that need to be remove to start the first step on this video.

Except the speaker

#22 ·
What's the update Liz?

I had my front driver door speaker sounding like a wet fart yesterday, I removed the panel played with the connections and it appeared to work fine. My guess is Humidity affects some connections and tape or shrink wrap may be a good idea to keep moisture out.

#25 · (Edited)
I removed the speaker and found where the wires are connected to a box?? I also found a loose wire and one empty connection in that box where the individual speaker wires are connected. Could that be the issue? I took pics with the iphone but the website won't load them. Said they are invalid. I even sent the smallest size. that wire seems to be cut flat, not stripped.

#28 ·
I fixed it but I broke it! The main speaker in the door worked after I connected the end of the wire into the polk audio box in the door. I think the speaker in the window was working but I heard static very clearly. However, it was on a FM station and it there was talking not music playing. I got the door back on and together but it is ripped at the top and I will order a new door panel and try to put it on myself. All the wire plugs seemed complicated. I did not try to take them off I just let the panel hang there, I mean it rested on my tool box and kept falling off and hitting me in the head. Also, I did not have a trim tool but used a cooking spatula instead. That seemed to work. Also, the cuticle cutters worked ok as a wire stripper. Finally, I used my hair dryer to heat up the glue/putty that adhered to the plastic on the door to make it stick. My dog was assisting, unfortunately the truck is disgustingly muddy on the bottom of it and he was underneath the truck doing something so he is a mess and will be going to bed wet! The end.

Thanks for your help,

Beth

#29 ·
Polk? Sounds like whoever had the truck before you replaced the stock speakers with an aftermarket component set. The "audio box" you refer to sounds like a crossover. You already have upgraded speakers in there. I'm sorry to hear about the ripped door panel. Typically, if the panel doesn't pry off easily, you've missed a screw. I would recommend getting a replacement from a junkyard. It will be a heck of a lot cheaper than buying new. Live any learn! Hope it all turns out for the best!

#30 ·
Can you tell me how difficult it will be to remove the electronic parts inside the panel and put them in the new panel when I get it? I saw 4 plugs that I would have had to unplug to completely remove the panel. I think the service guy said they were for the door lock and window. Is there a thread for that? No problem getting the panel off and on now!

Beth

#32 · (Edited)
The connectors unplug fairly easily. There is a clip/tab that you press and that releases the connector. Just press the tab and pull. Install is just push it in until the connectors "click", which indicates the two pieces have locked togeather. The connectors are all different sizes/shapes so you cannot get them mixed up on reinstall.
As for what holds the switches, etc to the door panel, I don't remember exactly but I think that they are just held on with phillips screws. In any case, it should be fairly obvious once you can get the panel off and can get a good look at it.

I second trying to find a door panel at a Junk Yard. Parts are much cheaper there than at a dealer. RL's can be a bit hard to find in JYs but most of the big yards are connected through a network and can locate parts at yards across the country.

Good Luck
Dave

Edit; Type into Google something like "Used honda ridgeline door panel" and you will get several search engines and other listings that may be useful in locating a part near you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.