Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

AFter Market Performance Chips

9K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Roboto 
#1 ·
After reading so many posts about poor fuel economy, and seeing the many online ads for after market performance chips, for instance GForce, I'm anxious to hear the pro's & con's, real life experiences, from other Ridgeline owners. Mine is a 2010 White RTL-Navi with Gray Leather, & chrome side steps.

#2 ·
I just used the Search tool for any threads with "chip" in the title. This topic has come up dozens of times. In a nutshell: don't waste your time with chipping your Ridgeline. This platform doesn't leave much room for tweaking, and what room there was originally was taken up with the revision of the 2009 model year.

The Ridgeline gets good mileage for a vehicle of its size and weight. When broken in properly and fuelled with good gasoline, it will get 24+ MPG in good conditions on the highway. With a cold engine or around town, it's going to do worse -- pretty much around the 15 MPG that's on the window sticker.

I have used the trip computer to find that, in a typical errand or visit of 6-10 miles each way, even on the highway, mileage on the cold engine is as little as HALF of the return trip. Similar things happen with most piston engines, but it doesn't matter as much lighter vehicles. With other vehicles that are as heavy but less efficient overall, you never even see the better result on the return trip.

If you want better mileage, put your tires to higher pressure (maybe 36 PSI -- will give firmer ride), ease up on the accelerator, don't go above 60 MPH, plan your errands with the most distant stop first so that the rest are on a warm engine, don't install attachments that will add air drag (like a Back Rack)... this advice pertains to most vehicles. It's a truck, not a Prius.

So, break out the wallet for fuel. In a cheerier note, welcome to the ROC! :)

#10 ·
After reading so many posts about poor fuel economy, snip
Well lessee now. The sticker says 15/20. I'm averaging 17 mpg overall with a low in the 14s and a high over 21. Looks like I'm getting about what is advertised to me.

What I would like to complain about is the HIGH cost of gas.

#12 ·
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Our brave military faces that on a daily basis, only to find broken promises when returning home.

#14 ·
Including similar chips.. they are chips off the same block! Sorry, could not resist. Save your money, drive sensibly, and do the maintenance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.