Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Making Donut and slide with my ridgeline

10K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  Baja Adventurer 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I love the first video, but couldn't get the 2nd to work. Them some great donuts.

I don't get my Ridge until Tuesday, the forcast is for warming, so I may have to wait until next winter to have that much fun!

#5 ·
They both worked for me. Pretty ballsy slidin' with the tail hung out down that back row of cars. Not something I would do without the aid of Sam Adams.

How did you do that anyway? How do you get an AWD to do donies?

#8 ·
You are a braver man than me. I would never try that in a parking lot full of cars.

The way that you can do donuts like that is to turn of your VSA and to nail the accelerator. Just don't try it in a parking lot that has my car in it please.

#9 ·
Hi,

to be able to do the donut, you turn the traction control off and you must be in L1 gear. If you are not in L1, you won't have enough power to get going and to keep it going. This is the same with the slide. The best and longest slide that i have made is by starting in L1 until I hit the rev shif in L2 until I hit the rev and then shif in Drive. By that time it stop sliding because you are going to fast.

I will make other video to show the beauty of the Ridgeline. This is the best truck on the market.

#12 ·
The BIG question is, of course, WHY????????????????

:confused: Why risk damaging your veh or anyone else's in that parking lot. Why abuse a perfectly good vehicle by whipping into doing something that is not in its normal regimen? Why risk your safety or anyone else's with this juvenile stunt. Maybe I'm just getting old but if something went wrong kiss the warranty and your future financial security out the window. Those videos would make it VERY easy for the jury to make a 12/0 decision. Now that you've posted them on the internet you have created a document that might come back to haunt you BIG TIME.

Just my .02, and maybe it will save someone else a supreme migrane.

#14 ·
People,

ok it seem crazy, for sure we have different point of view. For the slide it seem close, don't forget that the video is filmed at 150 feets, with a small camera video. I was at least 3 feets from the cars. I was doing that in the parking lot of my company and no one was there. So it was not like i didn't knew to whom the cars belong to. That does not excuse the act, but i still have a juvenile hurge one in a will in me.

As for beating the truck, i love my truck to the full satisfaction that it gives me will riding gently or not. A lot of Ridge owner would never to that for the love of the truck or other personnal conviction, and i respect that. This is a 2 way street.

Thanks for sharing your .02 added with mine we are up to .04 :)

#16 ·
Portogetin.

NICE! I did the same a few weeks back in an EMPTY parking lot where the only obstacles were cement curbs. My kids had never done donuts (Doughnuts, Roadies, whatever) before, and they were laughing hysterically. I may regret that action when my son turns 16, but the "juvenile" in me had a blast!

SNOW RULES! And the Ridge handles it just fine.
VSA on = SAFE and in control
VSA off= FUN!
Choose your own adventure.

#18 ·
Portogetin said:
People,

I was doing that in the parking lot of my company and no one was there. So it was not like i didn't knew to whom the cars belong to. That does not excuse the act, but i still have a juvenile hurge one in a will in me.
There was a guy in high school who was doing the very same thing. He was doing donuts in an empty parking lot with his Monte Carlo until he lost control and entered a not so empty parking lot and pinned a girl against the wall of a 7-11. Needless to say, she didn't survive and he went to prison.

It was all done in innocent fun but he was negligent because he was screwing around. Since he was screwing around, they added the word aggrevated to the beginning of his vehicular homicide charge which in turn added a couple of extra years on to his prison sentence.

#19 ·
It is crazy, but in an empty parking lot it would be fun. I have actually been able to do this in the normal D mode, did not have to put it in L1.

Wish I had a video of it.

I work the night shift at a Hospital, So when I get off there are like 10 cars in the parking lot. Due to the cold they all like to park as close to the building as possible so it leaves me the rest of the lot.

Lot's of fun but it could be dangerous with other cars so close.

Besides the point............ The video was cool to watch..

#20 ·
Portogetin,

Thanks for the video... Unlike most of the "fathers" on the ROC I appreciate your demonstration of the RL capabilities.

I purposely sought out help to test the limits of the RL for I felt my driving experience in inclement weather was lacking and I wanted to know what it was like to slide and learn to regain and maintain control of my vehicle. Knowing the "paper based" features and abilities of the RL, does not equate to having the experience first hand.

I purposely "abused" my RL for the safety of myself, family and other drivers. I have not attempted the donuts yet, but have completed the slide.

My venue was a parking lot with the "permission" from my "teachers" some state police officers.

They were actually happy about my request for help because there are no schools that allow you to "push" your vehicle to learn how to safely drive it...

Before those select few of you start in on your nonsense about how the RL has the VSA and that the best way to be safe is to keep it on and not to drive faster then you should.. blah blah blah...

Portogetin… Welcome to the ROC… Lost of great members and lots of great information here. Thanks once again for your contribution.

#21 · (Edited)
Portogetin…

Very nice driving. I never done donuts in my Ridge (or any other vehicle, for that matter), but appreciate you sharing it with us. I, too, believe that learning the limits of your vehicle AND your own skill level can really help us be better and *safer* drivers.

Having said that...

IN A PARKING LOT WITH CARS IN IT????? ARE YOU FRICKIN' CRAZY???????

:D Hey, I'm a parent with two kids! I can't help myself!!! :rolleyes:

thanks again!

#22 · (Edited)
Porto... there are a lot of AR's (anal retentives) on this board. I can sense them clenching up now :D . Yeah.., it was crazy and it was risky and if you f'ed up it would be you butt. But, you had fun and we had fun watching and I think you took reasonable care to not endanger lives. Good on ya, mate. :)

#23 ·
I grew up in northern Illinois where you had to learn to drive in the snow to survive. And yes we did donuts in empty parking lots to learn how our vehicles handled in the snow. We sometimes did donuts in the front yards of teachers we didn't like but I won't go into that as that was a juvinile behavior which stopped after high school.:D

Thanks for the video!!! Empty parking lots is much better than ones with cars and I would agree that three feet is too close but what the hell ... you didn't hit any of those cars and you really know how to drive your Ridgeline now!

#24 ·
1. That's friggin awsome, since no-one else's vehicle got slammed.

2. Bigger balls, more brave: no. That's the kind of stuff I used to do when I was (more of) an idiot (younger, less experienced, luckier, less respect for others). Like you couldn't find a lot with no cars? (or it's a great edit)

#25 ·
I knew i would create reaction, but not as much. I will make other videos but in a area where there will be no danger within 3 feet :). Then i will see if the reaction will be the same. This is said with respect to all the different opinion of the ROC family.

We all have something in common, the love of the Ridge. ;)

#26 ·
it sure looks like fun and many forget how it is to be young but you younger people must realize that ANYTHING that might damage other peoples property that you do 'just for kicks' is actually not that bright. I hope you have good insurance. I would never drive my truck like that with parked cars within 1000 feet or more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.