Frozen windshield washer nozzles! anyone else? - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 01-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
hwycycle
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Frozen windshield washer nozzles! anyone else?

The last 2 days here in New York have been quite cold(25 degrees). Each morning, (approx 0600hrs) I left for work and attempted to clean the windsield. To my surprise..... NOTHING. Frozen solid.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

By 1400hrs..... they work properly......

None of my other cars have had this problem at the same parking location.
Silver RTL, moonroof, OEM Brushguard, OEM Tube steps, OEM Fog Lights, OEM Rear Mud Guards, OEM Chrome Rims, 2011 RTL rims & tires, OEM Grill Upgrade, OEM Bed Extender, Hidden Hitch, Pioneer AVIC-F90BT, ScanGuage II, Softopper, Viper 5904 alarm/auto start, Interior LED's, LED lightbar.

Last edited by hwycycle; 01-30-2007 at 05:50 PM.
hwycycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 05:59 PM   #2
xridgelinex
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Other

Re: Frozen windshield washer nozzles! anyone else?

If you have not refreshed your fluid since it was "warm" out, you may still have a "diluted" water based fluid....

Switch to any "deicer" type, (make sure its the type that is alcohol based) and use it straight up... Do not dilute (it is safe, the fine print on the bottle tells you in the winter to use it undiluted....)

And if this not the case, sorry I can't help you. I have not had this type of problem and live upstate from you where most days I am happy that it gets to double digits.........
xridgelinex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
hwycycle
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Thanks!!! I wasn't even thinking along those lines.... right away I was thinking design flaw....

Silly me.....winter windshield washer fluid....
Silver RTL, moonroof, OEM Brushguard, OEM Tube steps, OEM Fog Lights, OEM Rear Mud Guards, OEM Chrome Rims, 2011 RTL rims & tires, OEM Grill Upgrade, OEM Bed Extender, Hidden Hitch, Pioneer AVIC-F90BT, ScanGuage II, Softopper, Viper 5904 alarm/auto start, Interior LED's, LED lightbar.
hwycycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2007, 08:00 AM   #4
steveberger
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2014 SPORT
Alabaster Silver Metallic

Send a message via Yahoo to steveberger

Mine froze on a recent trip to Vermont. I got them loose by holding my hand over the nozzle and idleing the engine in the sun. They started to intermittently freeze and thaw as we drove through the moutains and valleys. I watched the outside tempreture. Was freezing up at 12 degrees and thawing out at 15. Ran all I could out of the tank when I could and added strait solution. Worked fine the next morning at 3 degrees!

The quick-change oil places fill you up with diluted solution.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:22 AM   #5
VT RAIDER
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2006 RTS
Steel Blue / Gray

I had that problem with my civic... and I used a different de-icer... took car of the problem...

I did have the nozzles partially block in my RL, but they cleared rather quicky when I engage the sprayer...

Luckily, it did not get too cold in Richmond, VA as compared to other areas I lived.
VT RAIDER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
Jay Cee
ROC Rank: Junior
2007 RTX
Formal Black

Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Cee

Same thing happened to me in Upstate New York with the factory washer fluid in there on the brand new Ridgeline. After the temperature warmed I added a lower temperature rated washer fluid and the problem disappeared never to recur. The bottles have a temperature rating on them - I think most are good to -20 degrees which is what I use. Incindentally, the washer jets seem to get covered with snow and ice easier than with my other vehicles. When cleaning the windshield off I make sure to brush the jets clean or else they're prone to freezing up or being blocked. On my other cars I don't have to worry about that as much.
  • '07 Formal Black Ridgeline RTX - - Hood deflector, dvd head unit w/rear camera/ipod/sirius, splash gaurds, GE Nighthawks, seat extension.Wishlist: Clear bra, tinted windows, gold emblems, door visors, roof rack, billet grill, zmax brush gaurd, molded stepboard, fog lights, side protectors, front/rear chrome trim, tailgate pad, rear window graphic, woodgrain dash kit, remote starter/alarm, 5 ch amp, component speakers, sub.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2007, 03:26 PM   #7
russiarulez
2006 RTS
Billet Silver / Gray

Yeah, I started a thread on the same issue a while back. For me it came out that the original Honda (whatever they put in at the factory) washer fluid was freezing somewhere inside the lines (it wasn't frozen in the bottle) or at nozzles themselves. I had to drain all the fluid out (just ran the washer for a while until nothing was coming out), and put in a -40 fluid (it was dipping to -30s here las month), never had that problem again.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
level0netrauma
2007 RTL
Formal Black

I live in Brooklyn, NY. I have an 07 RTL for about 3 months, and it just got cold here and they froze up on me too. So no your not alone.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:00 PM   #9
Andy-Montreal
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Unfortunately, the RL does not have heated washer jets.

However, the system uses a check valve which keeps the hoses between the jets and the check valve filled with washer fluid in order to avoid freezing. If you pull the hose off one of the jets and see no fluid spillover, replace the check valve.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:08 AM   #10
mrlizzzard

quart of rubbing alchohol,.79 should do it.Some people use straight alchohol.
mrlizzzard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.