Fiberglass snow plows - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Accessories

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 02-16-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
VRidgeline
ROC Rank: Freshman
2007 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

Fiberglass snow plows

Has anyone heard or have such a thing, if so please give me give feedback.
VRidgeline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
qlake
ROC Rank: Junior
2007 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Re: Fiberglass snow plows

I have not heard of fiberglass but I have used a lexan plow and liked it.
qlake is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2007, 07:15 AM   #3
VRidgeline
ROC Rank: Freshman
2007 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlake
I have not heard of fiberglass but I have used a lexan plow and liked it.
Whats Lexan? and any pics
VRidgeline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2007, 07:52 AM   #4
oldcoastie
ROC Rank: Senior
2007 RTS
Dark Cherry Pearl

A neighbor uses a lexan, and it's just as heavy as the steel plow.
oldcoastie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
Pug
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRidgeline
Whats Lexan? and any pics
"Lexan" is General Electric's brand name for polycarbonate (PC) - a clear (in it's "natural state") thermoplastic resin that can be heated/molded into a wide variety of products. Polycarbonate sheets are available for glazing (windows) and sunglass/safety lenses are made of PC because of the high impact properties inherent in the resin.
I've used injection and blowmolding grade PC's to make parts for electronics industries, for medical devices, containers, and just about anything you can think of that requires a part designed to be structurally and chemically tough.

Heck! I've even made snow-shovel blades from the stuff! (in a "sampling" scenario).
I've been using one of the discolored "rejects" from that sample run for over twenty years! Had to replace the wooden handle once, but the Lexan "scoop" is as tough as the day I first used it.
The plastic snow-shovels you usually see have polypropylene blades that are much lighter and more flexible than PC. More "cost-effective" to produce, as well.

There are various "fillers" that can be added to the resin to increase certain properties, too. Glassfiber-filled PC's, in my opinion, are some of the toughest materials known, that can be easily molded into any shape.

A fiberglas plow? Seems plausible, but it would probably need reinforcement of some kind to give it added rigidity. And it would require some type of filler to allow it to remain a bit flexible at the low temps encountered while using it.

Personally, I'd stick with the metal plow. Other than the reduction in weight, what advantages would you expect from a plastic plow?
Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Accessories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.