LEER truck cap warning - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Accessories

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 03-02-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
WHAT?
ROC Rank: Freshman

LEER truck cap warning

Attached are some pictures of my leaking LEER cap. It looks good from the outside on the passenger side (the driver side sticks about about 1.5" too far) but there are several things you should know before dropping $1800.

1. They leak.
2. They are evidently hard to install. Took Anchor in Salem, VA almost 4 hours and they still couldn't get it on straight (they also accidentally drilled an extra set of holes and couldn't figure out how to adjust the tailgate glass).
3. LEER has been unresponsive to any of the questions I have asked about how to adjust the cap.
4. Huge blindspot on the sides, those big windows acutally cover about 3" of fiberglass so you're only left with a 3-4" strip of window when looking out from inside.

I probably would have bought the Pilot or a Tacoma had I known all this going in, it's just been a huge hassle.

My particular cap has a poor fit on the drivers side and the dealer (Anchor) says they can't fix b/c it's a LEER mold issue. However, it leaks from both sides and a little from the top near the brake light. Not a huge deal as my dogs are always sloppy/muddy but it's nice to know.

I have more high quality pictures but they're a pain to upload. Any specific requests or angles?
Attached Images

WHAT? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
Rick Walker
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RTL
Amazon Green / Olive

Re: LEER truck cap warning

Did you buy it directly from Leer or from Anchor?
If you bought it from Anchor make them reorder a new one that fits. Especially since they are saying it has a manufacturing defect.
If you bought it from Leer you should still go after them for a replacement. Problem is that Anchor's not going to want to install a replacement for free so you'd need to work out some allowance from Leer.

Don't just accept it when it looks like that.

There should be a warranty, right???
  • OEM Roof Rack
  • OEM Splash Guards
  • Hidden Hitch
  • Clear Wade Hood Deflector - Painted Amazon Green on backside
  • Basickoncepts Dress Bars
Rick Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
Jay Cee
ROC Rank: Junior
2007 RTX
Formal Black

Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Cee

Thanks for the heads up. That's one of the real advantages to reading the threads on this site. Much appreciated.

When you say unresponsive, are you emailing them? Maybe you can call someone and if you don't get any help ask for a supervisor or second level support. Let us know how you make out.
  • '07 Formal Black Ridgeline RTX - - Hood deflector, dvd head unit w/rear camera/ipod/sirius, splash gaurds, GE Nighthawks, seat extension.Wishlist: Clear bra, tinted windows, gold emblems, door visors, roof rack, billet grill, zmax brush gaurd, molded stepboard, fog lights, side protectors, front/rear chrome trim, tailgate pad, rear window graphic, woodgrain dash kit, remote starter/alarm, 5 ch amp, component speakers, sub.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2007, 09:22 AM   #4
oldcoastie
ROC Rank: Senior
2007 RTS
Dark Cherry Pearl

I saw a Leer installed on a Ridge at the dealer's showroom. It looked nothing like the fit on yours. Something's not right with yours, or so it seems.

A salesman at the dealer has one on his demo, and it does not leak.

I also noted that the view was very restricted. The cap looks good but the drawbacks (for me) overrode the good things.
oldcoastie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #5
WHAT?

Yes, I bought from Anchor (LEER only sells through dealers). I've been back several times, but Anchor keeps saying that's the way they are, a new one would be just as bad (they said they've installed several with poor fits). I'll ask them to reorder a new one and see what they say. I'd be glad to hear of other good stories where the cap did fit properly, as this might bolster my argument to have Anchor order a new one.

I've been emailing LEER. I can't find their phone number on their website (need to do some research, I'm sure I can find it). I'm going to write LEER a detailed letter and in addition to the problems with my cap I'll point out all the public web forums where they can find my opinion of their product (and see what everyone else has said).

In the end, Anchor is a small town dealer and I don't think they're afraid of losing 2 Ridgeline cap installs a year. I probably could flame them on other truck websites (there's an idea).
Old 03-02-2007, 10:10 AM   #6
Jhawker23
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RTL
Formal Black

I had the leer cap installed a month ago and love it. I have not experienced any leaks. The visibility is cut down significantly! But, overall I love it and would recommend it to anyone! My install only took just under two hours with one guy doing it. I carpeted the bed and it's like a little home in there now.

Jhawker23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2007, 10:26 AM   #7
e_piph_a_ny
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHAT? View Post
I've been emailing LEER. I can't find their phone number on their website (need to do some research, I'm sure I can find it). I'm going to write LEER a detailed letter and in addition to the problems with my cap I'll point out all the public web forums where they can find my opinion of their product (and see what everyone else has said).
I yahoo map'd the city and then searched for the directory listing for Leer.

Leer Inc
Address: 58288 Ventura Dr, Elkhart, IN 46517
Phone: (574) 522-5337

Good Luck !

Last edited by e_piph_a_ny; 03-02-2007 at 10:33 AM.
e_piph_a_ny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2007, 11:20 AM   #8
davisjmj
2006 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHAT? View Post
Attached are some pictures of my leaking LEER cap. It looks good from the outside on the passenger side (the driver side sticks about about 1.5" too far) but there are several things you should know before dropping $1800.

1. They leak.
2. They are evidently hard to install. Took Anchor in Salem, VA almost 4 hours and they still couldn't get it on straight (they also accidentally drilled an extra set of holes and couldn't figure out how to adjust the tailgate glass).
3. LEER has been unresponsive to any of the questions I have asked about how to adjust the cap.
4. Huge blindspot on the sides, those big windows acutally cover about 3" of fiberglass so you're only left with a 3-4" strip of window when looking out from inside.

I probably would have bought the Pilot or a Tacoma had I known all this going in, it's just been a huge hassle.

My particular cap has a poor fit on the drivers side and the dealer (Anchor) says they can't fix b/c it's a LEER mold issue. However, it leaks from both sides and a little from the top near the brake light. Not a huge deal as my dogs are always sloppy/muddy but it's nice to know.

I have more high quality pictures but they're a pain to upload. Any specific requests or angles?
i have a leer and no problems. i feel it's the installer. mine was installed by all american in portland,or. nice people. jim
davisjmj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #9
davisjmj
2006 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

i have a leer and no problems. i feel it is your installer. all american ,in portland or. installed mine . when they did they lifted the roof ( ridgeline roof ) trim strips in the rear,sealed the water drain area with puddy, centered the cap, the cap had a slight overhang in the rear when installed , then they tightened the rear hold downs first,then the front.

has a even clearence on both sides,and the cap door hits the tail gate about 3 quarters of the way forward. i have no wind noise ,nor leaks.

they also added more gasket material across the front of the cap.

the hold downs can be over torqued, i belived mine are torqued to 15 INCH pounds.

i feel my leer fits well, doesn't leak and i had a great install.

wish you luck. jim :-)
davisjmj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2007, 12:05 PM   #10
WHAT?

Thanks for the all the feedback, I'm tempted to re-adjust myself, but I'll wait to see if LEER as any input (thanks for the phone #).

Here are two more picutres for comparison (passenger side then driver side, both from ground level looking up).
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Accessories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.