Make Your Own Rivet Nut (RIV-NUT) Tool! - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mods, Installs and How-To's

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 06-18-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
ictjester
ROC Rank: Freshman
2009 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Make a rivet nut / rivnut / riv-nut tool to install your running boards.

Make Your Own Rivet Nut Tool

The first thing I wanted to do after picking up my new Ridgeline was install a set of side bars - but I didn't want to pay the hefty dealer price. So I found some cheap on Ebay with the intent to install myself. As many of you have found, it requires the installation of two 8MM rivet nuts. I didn't want to pay the dealer to put these in for me and I didn't want to rent the tool either - so I headed over to my local Ace Hardware and made a tool of my own. . .

Disclaimer: Though this home made tool worked great for me, I am in no way implying any kind of guarantee here. In short, if something goes wrong, it's not my fault. . .

Here is all you need to install the rivet nuts:
- A small piece of aluminum (to use as a handle)
- A Long bolt that will thread into the rivnut (will be your mandrel)
- A nut for the bolt (for compression)
- A large washer (just to ease the operation)

Drill a hole in the piece of metal the same diameter as the mounting bolt. This piece of metal will serve as the "anvil" against which the rivet nut will be compressed. The length will allow you to hold onto it with a wrench or socket to keep it from turning during installation.

The bolt will serve as the mandrel.

The nut will be used to compress the rivet nut. Mark the nut with a reference point so you can keep track of how many rotations you will turn it during installation (I went three, seems to be just right).

I squirted the washer with a bit of WD40. This lubrication will allow the tightening nut to spin a bit easier.

Assemble the tool for installation. . . The parts and assembled tool look like this:

To install the rivet nut, assemble the tool as shown. Make sure your bolt is completely threaded into the rivet nut. (The bolt I have here is probably too long, harder to keep a hold of, but I wanted plenty of room to tighten the compression bolt.) Hand tighten and place the rivet nut into the mounting hole.

When tightening, you will want to keep the bolt and anvil from turning. I positioned the anvil in a spot against the frame to keep it from turning and placed a wrench on the bolt (a socket would work too).

Making note of the reference mark you placed on the bolt, use a wrench to turn the nut clockwise to tighten the rivet nut. I went with 3 complete revolutions. Sorry I don't have a picture here - needed both hands to tighten the compression bolt.

To remove the tool, simply turn the bolt counter-clockwise to unthread it from the rivet nut.

That's it! It worked great and best of all, it only set me back $2.82!

Before posting, I searched to see if anybody else had this idea. I came across another tool on the forum that only used a washer - works too. I prefer the piece of aluminum because it is soft enough to not cause any damage to the rivet nut during compression. As you can see from the pictures above, it turned out very clean - no damage at all to the rivet nut.

Kevin

Last edited by ictjester; 11-17-2010 at 03:52 PM. Reason: moved files to new address
ictjester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
e_piph_a_ny
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Re: Make Your Own Rivet Nut (RIV-NUT) Tool!

Nicely done!!

I was thinking about running boards on my RL. One less reason to say no...

e_piph_a_ny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
blue600rr
ROC Rank: Freshman
2007 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

Hey..cool website... about the rust thing... It's the same under my car too. I have the same rust... Anybody else?
blue600rr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2007, 02:50 PM   #4
ChrisM
2006 RTL
Redrock Pearl / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue600rr View Post
Hey..cool website... about the rust thing... It's the same under my car too. I have the same rust... Anybody else?
I think every RL has the same rust spots. Iron rusts. Honda could have put an extra coat of paint on the parts to avoid this but they figured that no one would ever have a reason to go under there. The rust won't hurt the parts any it's just on the surface.

ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2007, 05:19 PM   #5
xridgelinex
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Other

Kevin,

Welcome to the ROC.....

The heavily rusted items are cast iron.... Do not worry for you will be long gone before it would have a rusted apart. The rust coating actually will protect it from getting worse.
xridgelinex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2007, 05:23 PM   #6
ROTORRAY
ROC Rank: Junior

Here's a link to the making your own tool. Should still cost less than $2.

Let us know how it goes.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...running+boards
ROTORRAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
ROTORRAY
ROC Rank: Junior

Finally found your link. Great job and photos. Amazing what a little ingenuity can create!
ROTORRAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mods, Installs and How-To's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.