Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Front Door speaker Upgrade How-To (pt 1)

38K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  Desert Ridge 
#1 · (Edited)
Part 1, Door Disassembly:
The following is the procedure I used to upgrade my front door speakers. I installed infinity 6012si 6.5” 2-way speakers using supplied mounting adapter rings and wiring harness adapters from Crutchfield. The disassembly steps are from Crutchfield’s tech and my interjections in this part are in blue. The speaker installation steps were not documented so I explained below how I performed the install. If you are inclined, this is not a very tough job. Leave yourself plenty of time so you don’t have to rush and break anything. Be careful to pull the harness connections apart by the connector, NOT the wires. Make sure when reassembling, you start the screws straight in the threaded areas so you don’t cross thread. Don’t run a screwdriver through a speaker (OUCH!)…

1) Pry sail panel out at top edge to release clip. Lift out to remove.

2) Pry out screw cover plate behind door handle (Very small notch at bottom of cover. I used a very small flat head screwdriver, which fit in the slot, lifted up slightly and popped the panel right out) and remove two 7mm screws (I would recommend pulling out the door open handle and unscrewing the one behind that first). Pull door release assembly out as shown in the picture and disconnect cable to remove assembly. Remove 3 Philips screws behind release assembly (silver screws in gold).

3) Pry out rubber mat in door pull cap and remove 1 Philips screw (I used tweezers in a corner and it came out very easily).

4) Pry out on bottom and side of door panel to release clips. Lift up and hold out panel to disconnect harnesses to remove (Used my hands at the bottom of the panel, pulled out and the clips started popping. No tools needed. The harness connectors were more of a challenge until I pulled the door panel out enough to see how to release them by pushing in on the release tab on the clip). NOTE: the passenger door has a blue clip holding the door light wire. I popped this off by pushing the long piece that sticks out towards the center of the clip (like a zip-tie release). The driver’s door panel has a few more harnesses connected to the various controls than the passenger side. In fact, I only disconnected what I needed to in order to move the panel to the side and set it on a stepstool and leaned it against the door.

See Speaker Installation in "Front Door speaker Upgrade How-To (pt 2)"

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I guess I would have to say i don't have very sensitive ears. I thought my sound system sounded pretty good. Now i am feeling kind of cheated. Will adding speakers like these really make that noticeable a difference?
Thanks

#5 ·
JulesK said:
...Will adding speakers like these really make that noticeable a difference?
Thanks
Please read the section under "My Sound Opinion" on Front Door speaker Upgrade How-To (pt 2). I have seen a few other posters of the same opinion on several other threads.

#8 ·
Thanks for the positive responses. I really think this forum is an outstanding resource and I wanted to try to give back for the great things I have learned form it…YOU! ;)

#11 ·
Got this and part II subscribed, the amp came yesterday and the Morels are enroute... gotta figure what sub to get now... :D

#15 ·
Many thanks for this posting. I went to the local Best Buy 'cause I chickened out on trying to do this myself. Couldn't bring myself to drilling holes in my truck :D I got the Infinity 6022i's in the front door panel. Crutchfield's site said it wouldn't fit, but the Best Buys site & Tech. said it would. Well....he never did a Ridgeline before. I had read these instructions so many times trying to get up the nerve to do it myself. When I saw he wasn't doing it 'correctly,' I pulled up the this thread on my Data Phone and the tech read the instructions and viewed the pics. The install went smooth after that!! Thanks again.

While the speakers do fit, if the tweaters are rotated to the 12 o'clock position the door panel rattles pretty good. I put the Dynamax with the speakers, but it sounds like the door panel itself is the culprit. Turning the tweaters to the 10 o'clock position took care of this.

BIG improvement in sound.....may not even do the rear door or HU replacement.

Leon

#17 ·
I'm running 125 watts to my door speakers and they don't rattle. Have your install tech figure out what's wrong.

#21 ·
You should subscribe to this thread then. It will be linked to your profile (UserCP/Subscribed Threads/List Subscriptions)

#24 ·
nope.. go to the first page

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.