A/C cycling on/off at idle - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 08-08-2007, 08:26 PM   #1
TheRidgester
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2007 *Not a Ridgeline owner
Other

A/C cycling on/off at idle

As the title I noticed the the compressor cycles on/off non stop while sitting at stop lights or idling.. this just started...my not so popular dealer told me thats normal, not to worry.
I do not recall my 1st ridge doing this... I'm anal and woulda remembered (I think)
Does anyone else notice this? Thanks!
TheRidgester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
KUDZU
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Re: A/C cycling on/off at idle

1st thing to check. Coolent level might be low.
I had the same problem on my Ford Explorer. I brought a can of R-134 with a fill guage & top it off.
It fixed the on/off of the compressor & made the A/C blow cooler.
Only a thought....
Old 08-09-2007, 05:16 AM   #3
larryr
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2009 *Former Ridgeline Owner
White / Beige

I agree with Kudzu - you probably are getting low on freon. The safety switch will cut the compressor off when it is low to keep the core from freezing solid and to keep the compressor from burning up from a lack of lubricant ( contained in the freon ).

The Chevy silverado I traded in did that, the dealer added freon and all would be good for 3 weeks and wham, it would do it again. They found a pinhole leak in the evaporator on the 8th trip for the problem. 2 months after that the compressor failed, the new one was 4 months old when I traded it. ( owned it 23 months - 25 dealers visits ).

The 199 fill ups on my 2009 Ridgeline - I just had 8 wonderful years in the Ridgeline but the Electronics are too many generations behind.

larryr is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2007, 05:38 AM   #4
Andy-Montreal
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Nighthawk Black / Beige

...or, it could be simply cycling normally on the thermostat. What you probably hear is the condenser fan cycling on and off in order to maintain head pressure in the system.

There are so many varying factors to study prior to filling the system with refrigerant (outdoor temperature, cabin temperature, system setting,etc...)
Old 08-09-2007, 07:00 AM   #5
mdwalls
2012 RTS
Dark Cherry Pearl

Are you sure it's not your electric fan coming on ?
Old 08-09-2007, 08:57 AM   #6
xridgelinex
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
Other

(When did they start using Freon again???)

As others have pointed out, there are so many variables. Literally nonstop cycling?... does not seem correct. Even on the hottest days stopped in heavy traffic, where the cabin has reached the set temperature, I will hear it go on and off but within a few minutes of time.
xridgelinex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2007, 09:03 AM   #7
TheRidgester
2007 *Not a Ridgeline owner
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwalls View Post
Are you sure it's not your electric fan coming on ?
It puts a load on the engine, so I assumed it's the A/C... I'll have to pop the hood and look... again the Honda Dealer said it is normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by xridgelinex View Post
(When did they start using Freon again???)

As others have pointed out, there are so many variables. Literally nonstop cycling?...
It cycles on for about 10-15 seconds, then off... non stop. I only hear it at idle, and am not sure if it happens while I drive..

I'm going to stop by another dealer in my area and have them take a peak at it. The dealer that said it's fine is still trying to make good on what now has about the whole front end of the truck with new paint... several times now I bring it to fix one blunder and they scratch it somewhere else!
TheRidgester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #8
xridgelinex
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRidgester View Post
It puts a load on the engine, so I assumed it's the A/C... I'll have to pop the hood and look... again the Honda Dealer said it is normal

It cycles on for about 10-15 seconds, then off... non stop. I only hear it at idle, and am not sure if it happens while I drive..

I'm going to stop by another dealer in my area and have them take a peak at it. The dealer that said it's fine is still trying to make good on what now has about the whole front end of the truck with new paint... several times now I bring it to fix one blunder and they scratch it somewhere else!
When the compressor turns one, there is a slight "bang, clank, or thud" type noise... (I think there’s a thread around somewhere with the customer noise translation guide...)

With the fan you should just here it "zip' on...
xridgelinex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2007, 11:57 AM   #9
HondaTech
ROC Rank: Senior
2007 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

As stated before, there are too many variables to determine if it is indeed an issue or just a normal characteristic. The compressor will run to increase high side a/c pressure. It will run and run unless it reaches a shut off point. There is a switch, two actually. One will shut the system down if there is too much pressure on the high side and one will shut it down if there is not enough. Pressure varies with temperature.... meaning at 65 degrees the a/c pressures will be lower than they will be at 95 degrees. Basically, the correct procedure to address this is to have the dealer do an A/C Performance check. It basically measures the pressures and vent temperatures and compares them to a chart. If they all fall within the normal range, there is no problem.

You have to think of it like this - the A/C system is a climate control system. It tries to maintain a set temp. Like the heater or A/C system in your home, the outside temperature will make it run more or less.... so there is no sure way to say it's running "too often" or "not enough" You need to gauge the performance from the systems ability to maintain a preferred temperature.

HT
HondaTech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2007, 12:21 PM   #10
ChrisM
2006 RTL
Redrock Pearl / Beige

Try this. Let the truck sit in the 90 degree sun for about a half an hour until the cabin gets plenty warm. Turn the thermostat knob until it reads "Lo." Then go drive it around the block. It should go into recirculate mode when you turn it on and the fan should be running full blast. If it starts to cycle at a stop before the recirculate light goes out, you have a problem.

In theory, the climate control should try make the interior of the truck reach at least 68 degrees before the compressor starts to cycle. The climate control should switch to outside air way before it reaches the optimum interior temperature.

Let us know what happens.

ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.