how I can reset TPMS? - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 12-03-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
keane33
ROC Rank: Freshman
2007 RTS
Formal Black

Post how I can reset TPMS?

well, what happend was, last saturday, it was bit cold in here, Michigan, (around mid 20's when I start up my ridgeline) and the TPMS'light was up.
I thought, I need to put some air, and I did put some.
it was 2psi lower than it supposed to be, but light did not go off.

I thought, maybe the TPMS is dead... and took to the dealer this morning... and what they told me, because of severe weather, the TPMS hanged up, and all it need is RESET. Actually, that guy did that less than 3 min...
Later, I thought, this winter is just started, if same thing happened, I want to do that by myself.
but I checked the owner manual, I do not see how to reset it.
does anyone know how I can do it? if I require the tool, I guess, I just bring the car every time but.. if I just can do by myself, I want to do it.

-R

YeahBaby, Yeah!
keane33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2007, 07:40 PM   #2
Lingered_I
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Re: how I can reset TPMS?

There is no reset for the TPMS (at least not without hooking up Hondas diagnostic system). Sounds like your pressure's are too high, or still too low or you have a faulty unit. In addition to the TPMS indicator, are any of the wheels indicated? If not, it could be a faulty unit.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
keane33
2007 RTS
Formal Black

well, I thought I did not put enough and actually checked couple of times when I put the air.
But I did put 32PSI and , actually at that time, I found out that, the back, left side tire pressure was 29PSI. I did not put any air for that one, I thought that that tire status get displayed on the monitor but it did not.
Acutally, that is why I guessed that TPMS is dead and took the ridgeline to the shop.

YeahBaby, Yeah!
Old 12-03-2007, 08:00 PM   #4
Lingered_I
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

For info, the tire warning comes on at 24psi and will stay on until the pressure goes above 29psi. Are you sure you have a good gauge?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
keane33
2007 RTS
Formal Black

yeah, I actually used one, I own and also the other one at the gas station.
I was not sure if mine is OK or not..
so as far as I see your comment, that TPMS is really hanged up or something..
maybe that dealer guy just took the battery cable out?? I should have seen what he did..

YeahBaby, Yeah!
Old 12-04-2007, 03:20 AM   #6
X-Brawn
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 *Not a Ridgeline owner

I've had intermittent TPMS issues, but it is ALWAYS associated with cold weather changes. If you get in during cold weather, and TPMS comes on, check pressure on ALL tires. It also PAYS in FOLDS to invest in a portable air compressor to fill up in case the pressure is to low. It may take time during the day to clear (as it hopefully warms up), but keep an eye on the air pressure during the day to make sure you don't have a LEAK.

If the problem persists, take your truck to any good tire shop ASAP. Have them check the tires for any nails, etc, to ensure you can safely operate on the road without the risk of an even worse blowout. If you are close enough, take your truck into your original dealership.

What I'd LOVE to do is to reprogram the TPMS system as to the trigger point on PSI. I'd set it for 28 PSI overall, and at a different loss rate.
The OTHER Car - 1998 Antique Sage Toyota Camry XE
X-Brawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2007, 04:13 AM   #7
ChrisM
2006 RTL
Redrock Pearl / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by keane33 View Post
yeah, I actually used one, I own and also the other one at the gas station.
I was not sure if mine is OK or not..
so as far as I see your comment, that TPMS is really hanged up or something..
maybe that dealer guy just took the battery cable out?? I should have seen what he did..
I have found that the pencil style tire gauges are very inaccurate. I had one that was off by 7 psi to the low side and another that was 5 psi off on the high side. I have a $12 digital guage that I purchased at KMart that has been reliable for the last couple of years. Gas station gauges that are attached to the hose should not be trusted either. A lot of people throw or drop the end of the hose after they are done with it which does not add to it's accuracy.

ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2007, 04:37 AM   #8
ridged
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2006 RTL
White / Olive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
I have found that the pencil style tire gauges are very inaccurate. I had one that was off by 7 psi to the low side and another that was 5 psi off on the high side. I have a $12 digital guage that I purchased at KMart that has been reliable for the last couple of years. Gas station gauges that are attached to the hose should not be trusted either. A lot of people throw or drop the end of the hose after they are done with it which does not add to it's accuracy.
Chris, how did you determine which gauges were accurate/inaccurate?
ridged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2007, 05:26 AM   #9
ChrisM
2006 RTL
Redrock Pearl / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridged View Post
Chris, how did you determine which gauges were accurate/inaccurate?
I had tire that appeared low after it got cold one year. I used the pencil gauge that I had in my car to measure the tires. It read that the tires were just fine but they looked very low. I then pulled the pencil gauge out of my other car and measured the same tires which read that the tires were damn near flat. I lived right around the corner from a gas station where my buddy worked as a mechanic. I used his $50 Mac Tools digital gauge and got a 3rd reading. I trusted that the one that he had was the right and inflated the tires to the correct pressure. I then went to the local KMart and bought a digital gauge that measured within .5 psi of his when the tires were cold.

The easiest way to find out if your gauge is wrong is to go to a tire shop and have them measure your tires with their gauge. If yours is the same, you have a good one. If it doesn't it's time to replace it.

PS. Please be aware that if you drive any more than a couple of miles, your tire pressure will change drastically. Tires that are heated up by driving on them in the winter will measure up to 5 psi higher after being driven down the highway. You should always measure tire pressure when the tires are cold. The TPMS on my Nissan Quest has the ability to actually display the tire pressures. When I start out on a cold morning, the tire pressures read around 31 psi. When I get to work, they sometimes read as high as 36 psi.

ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2007, 05:36 AM   #10
shovelhd
ROC Rank: Comma Club HOF 10,000+
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

I use a high quality pre-calibrated racing gauge. They are not cheap but worth every penny to me.

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...d=1118&catid=8
Attached Images

Kenwood DDX8019*Garmin KNA-G510 Nav 2009 Maps*KCA-BT200 Bluetooth*KTC-HR100 HD Radio Tuner*KTC-V500N TV Tuner (RIP)*KCA-iP200 iPod Adapter*SIR-KEN1 Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner with Lifetime Subscription*Webb OEM XM Antenna Conversion*PPI DCX-730 DSP*Eclipse XA4000 Mains Amp*Rockford-Fosgate T1500bd Sub Amp*Rainbow SLC 265 Front Components*Rainbow 165 SL Rear Coaxials*(2) Diamond Audio D610D4 Subs in Custom Subthump Box*KP Technologies Rollup Modules
shovelhd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.