A12 maintenance at 26,500 miles - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 01-16-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
blockzilla
ROC Rank: Freshman

A12 maintenance at 26,500 miles

My maintenance minder flashed the A12 at me this morning so I plan to take it to the dealership next week to perform the service. My question is I purchased the 06 Ridgeline in April of 2005 so I'm coming up on the 3 year mark for the suggested brake fluid replacement.

Should I go ahead and throw that in now as well? Anyone have any idea what kind of price tag I'll be looking at for:

Oil Change
Rotate Tires
Replace air cleaner element
Replace Dust and Pollen filter
Inspect Drive Belt
Change Brake Fluid

?? I'd just like to prepare myself for how much this all might be and make sure they are not trying to take advantage of me. Thanks!
blockzilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
thooks
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

Re: A12 maintenance at 26,500 miles

yeah- most dealerhips get you for:

$25 Oil Change
$25 Rotate Tires
$50 Replace air cleaner element
$105 Replace Dust and Pollen filter
$15 Inspect Drive Belt
$100+ Change Brake Fluid

$320+.

I can do that for

$25 Oil Change & filter with synthetic oil
$0 Rotate Tires
$22 Replace air cleaner element
$22 Replace Dust and Pollen filter
$0 Inspect Drive Belt
$5+ Change Brake Fluid

$74

It starts paying to "change your own oil" and poke around and learn how to do BASIC maintenance. Least it does for me.
thooks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #3
CUinaRidge
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockzilla View Post
....and make sure they are not trying to take advantage of me. Thanks!

That one is easy....
try this...

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ht=Replace+air

CUinaRidge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
mossyoak20
*Not a Ridgeline owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockzilla View Post
My maintenance minder flashed the A12 at me this morning so I plan to take it to the dealership next week to perform the service. My question is I purchased the 06 Ridgeline in April of 2005 so I'm coming up on the 3 year mark for the suggested brake fluid replacement.

Should I go ahead and throw that in now as well? Anyone have any idea what kind of price tag I'll be looking at for:

Oil Change
Rotate Tires
Replace air cleaner element
Inspect Drive Belt
Change Brake Fluid

?? I'd just like to prepare myself for how much this all might be and make sure they are not trying to take advantage of me. Thanks!

hey Honda Tech here, Brake fluid is a turd if you dont have the right stuff, though in my opinion as being a Tech it deff isn't worth 100 bucks, it only takes 15mins tops if you know your sh!t. air and pollen filters are sinple and i would learn to change your own oil! Honda Dealers use the cheapest oil on the market, if i named the brand you would shrug shoulders cause you haven't ever heard of it!
mossyoak20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
northernlights
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2006 RTS
Steel Blue / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossyoak20 View Post
Honda Dealers use the cheapest oil on the market, if i named the brand you would shrug shoulders cause you haven't ever heard of it!
I change my own oil but I have heard of Mobil.
northernlights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
csimo
Administrator
2014 SE
White/Black

I think what he means is that most Honda dealers do not use Honda oil. They buy bulk oil from the cheapest supplier.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:51 AM   #7
HondaTech
ROC Rank: Senior
2007 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

We buy bulk oil here as well - however you need to remember that there are only a few companies that manufacture engine oil. The "bulk oil" is still purchased from a major supplier. In actuality, the oil we use here is conventional ExxonMobil oil.

Years ago consumer reports did a huge test of engine oils. They found that synthetics are slightly better than conventional oils, but that is not to say that conventional oil is bad. They used everything from valvoline and castrol to the wal-mart brand of engine oil. Their test vehicles were NYC taxi's. After extended use and testing they came to this conclusion. Oil is oil. As long as the bottle has the API(American petroleum institute) starburst that says "for gasoline engines" it will function perfectly - regardless of the branding. Regular change intervals are crucial, however. Those are the facts.

My opinion - I have no problem using bulk oil - but I choose to pay more and use Mobil 1.

HT
HondaTech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
Heli ATP
ROC Rank: Junior
2011 RTS
Crystal Black Pearl

Got the A12 service due at 27,000. The cabin filter behind the glovebox was pretty clean so I cleaned it out and reused it. I replaced the engine air filter and wonder if the black patch in the center looks normal. This is my first time replacing that one and it's pretty oily.
Attached Images

Peragon Cover, 2012 Grille, OEM Fog Lights, Romik Running Board SideSteps, AVS Hood & Window Deflectors, WeatherTech Mats, Wetokole Seat Covers, Pilot Conversation Mirror, Gentex Autodimming Mirror W/ Homelink & Compass, Audiovox ASH300 back-up warning system. JBL GTO18T Tweeters. JBL GT6-6 Door Speakers. DIY Tailgate Lock. Kenwood DNX9990HD with CMOS-310 Camera and dual 7" headrest monitors, Bazooka 6" amplified Bass Tube.

Heli ATP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: Comma Club HOF 10,000+
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

What they charge for 'inspections' is really the biggest ripoff. If nothing else, it does not take much education to inspect fluid levels, belt condition, CV joint covers, tire pressures and even brake or tire wear and making sure all your lighting is functional. You will be charged for every minute the tech spends doing these things (whether he actually does them ALL or not!)

Honda North, ClovisCA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
Tuscani922
2010 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

Funny you mention this, I just replaced my air cleaner today which looked very similar to yours! Mine was also oily, which I attributed to a krown oil undercoating treatment. Did you get this or something similar done? If not then there goes my krown theory! Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli ATP View Post
Got the A12 service due at 27,000. The cabin filter behind the glovebox was pretty clean so I cleaned it out and reused it. I replaced the engine air filter and wonder if the black patch in the center looks normal. This is my first time replacing that one and it's pretty oily.
Tuscani922 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.