Pop & Lock Installation - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Accessories

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 08-02-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
Tcape
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2008 RTL
Formal Black

Pop & Lock Installation

First thing I want to say is a big THANK YOU to Joe (Pizza Man) for making the P&L group buy possible. He got us a great price, and did all the hard work....getting our orders, getting the locks shipped from the manufacturer, then mailing them out to us. Standing ovation to you, Joe! (I'm standing as I type this. )

I'm starting this separate thread for the Pop & Lock installation so it won't get lost in the "P&L Ordering" thread. Hopefully, folks will post their ideas and tips for the P&L install. Here are some things I encountered that might be helpful to others as they do their own installation.

1. The instructions which come with the lock (and Joe helped write) are very good. The instructions AND a very good picture of the installation are here.... http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...17-post12.html and I've also included the pic with this post.

I printed the pic of the installed lock (the one showing the workings of the lock system inside the tailgate), and it was tremendously helpful to look at when I was installing the lock. Nice to see exactly what it's supposed to look like.

2. This post by edarnoldnet was also very helpful with the installation..... http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...tructions.html Very good tips to aid with installation and supplement the instructions.

3. In step #2, be sure you read the part about exchanging the bolts holding the bracket. Be sure to note that you can exchange the bolts you take out with the bolts you'll also take out in step #6. This is clearly covered in the instructions, but I almost overlooked it. If you don't exchange the bolts, the washers on the ones you initially take out won't let the bolts fit when the new bracket is installed.

4. The drill bits recommended for the installation are unusual sizes, and I didn't have either size recommended. However, you can easily substitute drill bits that are close to the sizes recommended. Just use the holes in the bracket as your guide, and pick bits that will fit OK through those holes.

5. Biggest problem I had was re-installing the tailgate cap. Took me almost 30 minutes to get the d*mn thing back on right!! In fact, that took longer than installing the lock. Be sure to look at how the plastic cap is made, and how it fits on the white clips. It has to be positioned just to the right of the clips...so the openings in the cap fit over the clips, then it slides to the left to lock into the clips. You may need to push your hip against the middle of the cap to make sure it doesn't bow in the middle.

If anyone has any additional tips for re-installing the tailgate cap, I'm sure they'd be appreciated. I was unprepared for how big a hassle that was. At least for me.

The entire install took me about an hour and fifteen minutes, but I took my time and went slowly. And a big part of my time (20-25 minutes) was spent trying to get the tailgate cap back on. Installing the lock is actually pretty simple. It all fits together very easily. Again, having the picture (mentioned above) was very helpful. Even if you're not too mechanically inclined, you should be able to do this installation yourself.

If I can provide further info, please post on this thread or PM me. Good luck with your installation!
Tom
Attached Images

Advertisement

Old 08-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
xridgelinex
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Other

Re: Pop & Lock Installation

Caution on the directions: Look at the lower left hand corner for the date code... In the "Silver" set, the instructions are from "11-20-07"... The set that came with with the black is current, "6-08"...
xridgelinex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
Pizza Man
ROC Rank: 7k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

With either set of directions and the photo Tom pasted into this thread you should be able to do the install with no problem. It's pretty self explanatory.

Do be afraid of the instructions. If I could figure it out anyone can.
Pizza Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
cdepuydt
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Thanks for the helpful hints guys. This thread will really come in handy when I go to install mine. Yeah, I got the silver, and I noticed it has the "11-20-07" instructions and noticed it there are only 8 steps in the older instructions, as opposed to 10 in the new.

Thanks again guys.

RTL w/Nav and Sunroof, Running boards, Bug deflector, Leer Cap, OEM Hitch, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Weathertech Floor Mats, OEM Foglights w/Painted Bezels, OEM Side Door Protectors, '10 Pilot Touring Wheels, Kumho Road Venture KL61 Tires (New in Oct. 2012 and New Again in May of 2014), new Monroe OE Spectrum Struts (New in May 2013), RTX/Accessory Grill, and Figs Hood Prop Kit.
cdepuydt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2008, 07:10 AM   #5
ChrisM
2006 RTL
Redrock Pearl / Beige

I would appreciate it if someone could take a picture of the mechanism when it is locked so I can see what it is doing when it locks. I'm also curious, can you move both handles when the lock is engaged?

Thanks

ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2008, 07:39 AM   #6
Pizza Man
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
I would appreciate it if someone could take a picture of the mechanism when it is locked so I can see what it is doing when it locks. I'm also curious, can you move both handles when the lock is engaged?

Thanks
The P&L jams the handle mechanisms, Chris. The handles move slightly, up to the point where they contact the jam.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
xridgelinex
Other

Just finished... some of my observations and pics.... The lock is more for peace of mind... It should keep out the hitch hikers...

I used some gorilla glue to lock down the front half of the tumbler assembly to the back half. I wanted to make sure that if some wants to break in they can take the whole tumbler assembly and not just the front half; leaving the main shaft still attached to the locking mechanism and operational with some pliers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcape View Post

3. In step #2, be sure you read the part about exchanging the bolts holding the bracket. Be sure to note that you can exchange the bolts you take out with the bolts you'll also take out in step #6. This is clearly covered in the instructions, but I almost overlooked it. If you don't exchange the bolts, the washers on the ones you initially take out won't let the bolts fit when the new bracket is installed.... No need for mine. All bolts are identaical... all contained the washer and locking washer... Fit without any issues.

5. Biggest problem I had was re-installing the tailgate cap. Took me almost 30 minutes to get the d*mn thing back on right!! In fact, that took longer than installing the lock. Be sure to look at how the plastic cap is made, and how it fits on the white clips. It has to be positioned just to the right of the clips...so the openings in the cap fit over the clips, then it slides to the left to lock into the clips.

I lined the tailgate cap up with the tailgate down. Position the screw holes of the cap just right of the holes on tailgate backing... The cap then slides right onto the tailgate.
You may need to push your hip against the middle of the cap to make sure it doesn't bow in the middle....
If anyone has any additional tips for re-installing the tailgate cap, I'm sure they'd be appreciated. I was unprepared for how big a hassle that was. At least for me.

I had to turn the driverís side inside clip 90 degrees as it would not catch but would come out and wedge in, making the cap not completely fit. I also did not use a rubber mallet to take it off, just used muscles and my weight..... ... I also did not require a rubber mallet to put the cap back on. It slides with a bit of effort. To make things even easier, donít clean the torx screw holes; use the dirt to realign the back panel.

Last edited by xridgelinex; 08-27-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #8
xridgelinex
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post

Thanks
Slightly.... Since the sideways handle operates via cable, I could see myself forgetting it is locked and overtime stretching the cable to the point of it not working...

From an engineering perspective .... I think the slight play is purposeful due to the tailgate mechanism being a conglomerate of metal and plastic. I would hate for the locking mechanism to be so tight with no handle movement to the point where temperature fluctuations would crack the plastic parts....
Old 08-03-2008, 11:30 AM   #9
Pizza Man
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by xridgelinex View Post
I used some gorilla glue to lock down the front half of the tumbler assembly to the back half. I wanted to make sure that if some wants to break in they can take the whole tumbler assembly and not just the front half; leaving the main shaft still attached to the locking mechanism and operational with some pliers.
Assuming that it would break the way you describe.

The main shaft is plastic, my guess would be the screw securing the Crank Link to the Tumbler shaft would strip out under that kind of stress before the lock would split apart. This would leave nothing for the pliers to grab. I'm not into destructive testing, so I'll leave those assumptions up to you. I'm satisfied knowing this lock offers more security than the lock on my Tonneau.

I agree the lock is for piece of mind, as is every other lock I own. As I said on a previous post in another Thread, a properly placed crowbar will open a Tonneau in seconds. This lock offers an additional level of security and hassle to anyone trying to get into it. It wasn't designed to replace anything at Ft. Knox.

Last edited by Pizza Man; 08-03-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #10
ridgeline08_4me
ROC Rank: Freshman
2008 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

PIZZA MAN,

I'm sorry to ask, I'm just wondering if I can still join the group buy for pop & lock? I posted on your ordering thread and asked the same question. Please let me know and the method of payment. I want a black color.

Thank you and appreciate your reply.
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Accessories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.