Bleach spilled in back carpet - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Interior

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 09-15-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
scutchins
ROC Rank: Freshman

Angry Bleach spilled in back carpet

While in the process of moving into our new house, a gallon jug of Clorox II "color safe" bleach spilled in the back carpet. The bleach worked its way under the carpets and is puddled underneath. The carpets are fading (I guess they are not color safe) so I am going to have them replaced, but the dealer wants $600 labor which seems unusually high. The carpet is about $320.

Is this a fair price, is it really that detailed or should I tackle this myself (very good mechanically but also very busy.)

On a side note, should I be concerned about the metal under the carpets? I am considering cutting the carpet out and cleaning really well underneath before dropping the truck off at the dealer since I seriously doubt they will clean under them.
scutchins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
shovelhd
ROC Rank: Comma Club HOF 10,000+
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Re: Bleach spilled in back carpet

You'll need basic mechanic's tools plus a good set of panel pullers like the KTC set. Every seat and both consoles will have to come out. It's a big, ugly job. make sure you buy some spare panel fasteners to replace the ones you'll inevitably break.

Good luck.
Kenwood DDX8019*Garmin KNA-G510 Nav 2009 Maps*KCA-BT200 Bluetooth*KTC-HR100 HD Radio Tuner*KTC-V500N TV Tuner (RIP)*KCA-iP200 iPod Adapter*SIR-KEN1 Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner with Lifetime Subscription*Webb OEM XM Antenna Conversion*PPI DCX-730 DSP*Eclipse XA4000 Mains Amp*Rockford-Fosgate T1500bd Sub Amp*Rainbow SLC 265 Front Components*Rainbow 165 SL Rear Coaxials*(2) Diamond Audio D610D4 Subs in Custom Subthump Box*KP Technologies Rollup Modules
shovelhd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
csimo
2014 SE
White/Black

Yes, I'd want the metal underneath cleaned and probably some primer sprayed on it.

According to the MSDS Clorox color safe bleach contains triethanolamine, hydrogen peroxide, and benzenesulfonic acid. Not too bad, but I'd want it cleaned up pretty well.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
Andy-Montreal
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by csimo View Post
According to the MSDS Clorox color safe bleach contains triethanolamine, hydrogen peroxide, and benzenesulfonic acid.
That's all? Geez, sounds like the recipe from the Alien movie.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2008, 02:58 AM   #5
IFLY Ridge
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scutchins View Post
On a side note, should I be concerned about the metal under the carpets? I am considering cutting the carpet out and cleaning really well underneath before dropping the truck off at the dealer since I seriously doubt they will clean under them.
You should be very concerned about the metal. While I don't know the acidic properties of the bleach, you can be assured that the paint/primer coat of the metal has been breached. It will take quite a bit of cleaning (including lots of fresh water) to remove all of the bleach residue. Without proper treatment, this area is likely to corrode very quickly. This could be further exacerbated if you live in an area where other contaminants such as road salt etc may be introduced into the area as well.

Good luck.
2006 RTL/NAVI Steel Blue Retired
Honda Acc: Grill, Fog lights, Chrome Bumper Trim, Auto Mirror, Metallic Int. Trim, Under Seat Tray, Sunroof Shade, Running Bds, Mud Flaps, Bed Ext., Tail Light Garnish, Carpeted Floor Mats, Tow Pack, Flip Key.

Non-Honda Accessories: Bedmat, 20% Tint, Sunshield, IPOD

Last edited by IFLY Ridge; 09-17-2008 at 03:01 AM. Reason: correction
IFLY Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2008, 03:27 AM   #6
ChrisM
2006 RTL
Redrock Pearl / Beige

I will guarantee that they won't fix it right for $600 including labor. I'd bet that it would be closer to $2600.

ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2008, 06:10 AM   #7
franc944
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Send a message via AIM to franc944

It sounds like you have a comprehensive insurance claim "falling objects" (in this case bleach) should be covered.

You should have work done by a bodyshop so they have knowledge to repair metal if needed.

I have seen insurance cover rain damage to interiors when sunroofs get stuck open.

This should be covered.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:52 AM   #8
RustyH
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Check some of your local auto upholstery shops. I got a bid from a local shop in Phoenix to replace my carpet (whcih had been cut up when the boom box was installed), with a nice looking, dark gray (almost black) carpet for $275 complete. I've checked out some of his other jobs and it looks pretty good.
06 RTL, 2011 ROTY billet cubby cover, door sills and license plate frame. Polished Billet Grills, Custom paint, 275/45R/20 Yokohama tires on Rozzi Octane wheels. caliper covers, custom airbag suspension. Kenwood DVD Player, Rockford Power T15004 Amplifier, Six Rockford Power 6.5" speakers and 2 10" downfiring subs. Custom 3 color Wet Okle seat covers. Airraid CAI, throttle body spacer, Magnaflow muffler, Truxedo Pro Tonneau Cover, Hidden Hitch, smoked head and taillights.
RustyH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2008, 08:58 AM   #9
scutchins
ROC Rank: Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyH View Post
Check some of your local auto upholstery shops. I got a bid from a local shop in Phoenix to replace my carpet (whcih had been cut up when the boom box was installed), with a nice looking, dark gray (almost black) carpet for $275 complete. I've checked out some of his other jobs and it looks pretty good.
Ouch, I wish I would have thought of that before droppping the truck off at the dealer for my $850 worth of carpets!

I ended up pouring lots and lots of water in the back and sucking it up with a shop vac then just running a fan to dry the water out. There doesn't seem to be any residue left, although I spoke with the guy who will be replacing the carpets and he said he would feel around and clean up any he happens to find. I think it won't be a problem in the future. The carpets did start fading all around the edges where the Clorox II was sucked up and puddled, so I'm glad I got this stuff up before it did any more damage.
scutchins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Interior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.