How long did your cabin air filter last you? - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 09-30-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
DesertRidgeline
ROC Rank: Junior
2007 RT
White / Beige

How long did your cabin air filter last you?

I took the truck into the dealer last week because I thought that the A/C blower wasn't putting out enough flow of air. He pulled the ac cabin filter and it blew like new again.

The thing that REALLY bothers me about this is that the truck has all of 7200 miles on it, never been off road into the dirt and yet the filter is plugged up severely even though it doesn't look bad at all.

This then makes me wonder about the engine air filter, if the cabin filter is this plugged up, then the air filter for the engine must surely be plugged up worse, but no, it wasn't making me think that they are using a much finer filter for the AC then they are for the engine which doesn't make much sence to me other than to save costs on having to do warranty repairs on stinky air conditioners. Im definately not pleased that Im going to have to replace a $40.00 part every 5,000 miles (the air flow was greatly reduced at 5,000, and I lived with it another 2k miles until I took it in).
DesertRidgeline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
bobpres
ROC Rank: Senior
2007 RTS
Billet Silver / Gray

Re: How long did your cabin air filter last you?

It does seem weird that it would plug up at 5k miles. How long have you had the truck? In other words, did it take you a whole year to get that 5k miles, or only a couple of months?

I wouldn't pay the dealer for the cabin air filter. There are MUCH cheaper places online to get them (do a search here for guidance). Also, they are SUPER easy to replace yourself (once again, there is a GREAT write-up here for that).

Do you park underneath trees or other places where general junk is going to fall into the cowl area? It's amazing how much crud can be caught by the filter, and it's not just for people living and driving on dusty roads. Remember, too, you can remove the filter and blow it out with an air compressor.

Good luck!!
bobpres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
jtchambliss
ROC Rank: Freshman
2009 RTL
Sterling Gray Metallic

Great DIY thread for replacing the cabin air filter:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...t=cabin+filter

2009 RTL Sterling Gray Metallic w/ black leather and optional front grille
jtchambliss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 02:25 PM   #4
TexnNC
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

My wifes 05 Odyssey has the same filter. I usually blow it out at 5k, replaced twice at around 20k miles each.

Just bought my 07 RTL and the pollen filter was nasty!

Super easy to replace, though. Pop the two side pieces, lift up on the holding rod and you're there.
TexnNC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 03:08 PM   #5
Fett
ROC Rank: Sophomore

I have 5600 Miles on my truck maybe I will check the cabin filter this weekend and see how dirty it is since I live in a dusty region. I have not noticed any reduced air flow though.
Fett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
DesertRidgeline
2007 RT
White / Beige

I've had the truck just over 10 months now. I already declined buying the replacement filter from them since I don't care to spend $40.00 on it every year, or less. I'll have to re read that long filter changing thread to find a cheaper outlet for buying them if Im going to have to keep changing them every 6 to 10 months.

The only place the truck is parked is on the driveway which is open to the sun, no trees around, all we have are palm trees anyway, so no loose debris from them are getting down in there. To my eyes the filter looks clean, with little to none of any additional debris on it, just instead of being pristine white, it's a light gray color, I mean really really light gray, and tapping it upside down on the cement doesn't really knock anything out of it. I think the filter is too fine and catching spores or something extra small.

I havn't tried blowing it out yet as the compressor of ours is on one of the job sites but when it gets back home Im gonna try that and see if that helps any out or curiosity more than anything.

Last edited by DesertRidgeline; 09-30-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
DesertRidgeline
2007 RT
White / Beige

Well, I replaced it with an aftermarket filter from Napa aproximately 600 to 700 miles ago and theres already a noticible lowering in air flow.

The next one I will pay the dealer costs for a new filter and see if it last 5000 miles again as that would be better than the noticible lowering of air flow in the 700 miles that the napa one exhibits. It's certainly not as bad as the OEM filers airflow was stuffed up after 5000 miles but it's definitely noticible and really shouldn't be at only 800 miles on the napa filter.

Since the A.C. puts out that awful cat urine stink when first starting the vehicle, I may just do away with the filter all together, sure it's stopping big stuff from getting down into the blower box, but if it's not stopping everything then I see little point and will just have to clean out the blower box when it gets lower air flow I suppose. Heck most older cars didn't have cabin filters and the blower box wouldn't need to be cleaned out if not for the stink.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
AmazonRidge
2006 RTL
Amazon Green / Olive

it feels lonely in here....

hello?
AmazonRidge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
xridgelinex
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Other

I change it every year at the beginning of June which is at the end of the pollen explosion... Around November I check it and vacuum it quickly for the winter.

They are so inexpensive and easy to change there’s no need to let it get all caked up. I'm using the TCY this year... It works just as well as the Microair filter I used last year. At $7.08 each I purchased a few....

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1433166,parttype,6832

(There are always coupon codes for rockauto, just do a quick internet search for the most current one)
xridgelinex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
DesertRidgeline
2007 RT
White / Beige

I guess I wouldn't mind so much at $7.08, but at $23.11 it feels excessive that I would need one so soon after replacing it. I'll check out rock auto for my next one I think, or maybe I'll just deal a deal with one of the dealers that I contract to and try to get it at cost, which is only Woops, never mind that idea, Dealer Net is $21.61 almost as much as Napa retail price. No wonder the dealer wanted 45.00 for it, it costs them 21.00

I'll go to rock auto next time. Thanks for the heads up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.