Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Custom Ridgeline Vehicle for Garmin Nav Units

55K views 168 replies 75 participants last post by  speedlever 
#1 · (Edited)
Figured I'd share. I made this custom vehicle last night for my Nuvi.

Here's a screenshot:

Here's the file you need:
http://www.somethingmusing.com/ridge2.zip

Here are instructions on how to use it:
http://www8.garmin.com/vehicles/howtoinstall/

I make no promise this wont mess up your nav unit. It's only been tested on a nuvi 500 but should work with them all. If you aren't comfortable using this custom vehicle then don't.

Enjoy!
Redisant

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice offer of you. But the link is "the bridge to nowhere". :confused:

How can I change the color to steel blue?

#6 · (Edited)
#9 ·
Can you make one in Steel Blue? I might have something your Ridgeline can use in return.

#10 · (Edited)
#15 · (Edited)
#13 ·
Haha! now you are hosed, Trav. Please make one in all available 06-08 colors. Oh, and you might as well make an 09 Ridge for each 09 color too, since you'll be upgrading soon. You know you want to! :p

#21 · (Edited)
#14 ·
Well done! That's to funny!

Finally someone has come up with a reason that makes me regret buying the factory Navigation system. I sure wish I could use your graphic.:)

#19 ·
Bruce,

If I understand correctly, the file may work with portable Garmin units too. Let's see if McRidgeline has any luck! (and you may have saved yourself $1,750 or so).

:)

#34 ·
The download works on the Nuvi 350. :D

Thank you, redisant.

Pizza man, can you not take screenshots with your Nuvi? There should be an option under Tools -> Settings -> Display to enable screenshots which turns on a button in the upper right corner of the screen. When clicked, it saves a bmp file to your \garmin\screenshots folder with whatever is on the screen at the time (excluding the button for taking the screenshot of course).

Attachments

#32 ·
As I promised, I wanted to get back w/you all about downloading the file.

I easily extracted the file, put it in the 'vehicle' directory of my Garmin Nuvi 250w. And it works GREAT! Almost like Garmin did it themselves. Once again, thanks Redisant for a cool contribution to the ROC!! Very cool! :D

#33 ·
You are all quite welcome. When I have some time I'm going to try to clean up some of the fuzzy whiteness that shows up around the edges of the truck, most evident at night. I'm preparing for a trip to Alaska and leave Saturday so I don't know how much time I'll actually have unfortunately.

#41 ·
I need to figure out how to get this into my Kenwood/Garmin unit. The SD slot is taken up with the 2009 maps. Maybe I can remove it, load this onto a blank SD card, save it to the internal memory, and replace the map card.

#43 ·
The garmin srf file format has been reverse engineered by a fellow that goes by the name of ezran on some gps forums. He posted a tool to convert specially designed PNG files to the srf format and back again. In order to make this I used the 3D viewer on the honda website and took screen shots at intervals of 10 degrees all the way around the truck from a elevated perspective to get a set of 36 perspective images and 36 top down images all with proper lighting effects. I then positioned those images in the appropriate place in the PNG file, used the conversion tool to render a srf file and viola! The color variations were done using Photoshop CS3 and the resulting PNG file was resaved in paint.Net to preserve 32 bit PNG file format constraints required by the srf format.

#44 ·
VERY cool way to project the Ridgeline into the Garmin Navi unit! But I do have one question.....can you make Yosemite Sam hang out the window?? :D Regardless, you've done a great job with the Garmin. Thanks for sharing the instruction.

#47 ·
The red question mark means that you do not have any satellites picking up. So you are probably inside of the house, right?

Jon

#49 ·
...and I'm low on Mt. Dew.......
Well, that right there's yer problem. (in my best Jamie Hyneman voice) ;)

One must always keep an adequate amount of Dew on hand. :D

#50 ·
How do you think I knew the answer?

Maybe it has happened to me once before:D

Jon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.