Check engine light on w/P0420 and freeze frame data. - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 12-10-2008, 06:02 AM   #1
atikovi
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Check engine light on w/P0420 and freeze frame data.

I recently bought this 88,000 mile '06 truck and the check engine light came on soon after with code P0420 for Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1). That is the only code stored. I then drove it home 1000 miles and it ran fine, getting 20 mpg at 70-75mph. Once I got it home I erased the code but it came back within 20 miles. It had freeze frame data as follows:

Fuel system 1: closed loop
Fuel system 2: closed loop
Load value: 64.3%
Short term trim1: 1.5%
Long term trim 1: 5.4%
Short term trim 2: 3.1%
Long term trim 2: 4.6%
Map sensor: 19 in Hg
RPM: 1880
Speed: 42 mph
Ign. Advance: 27.5
Intake temp: 84F
Throttle pos: 23%

Any ideas what to check first? I'm going to do a complete service on it including new plugs, new air, oil and fuel filters, throttle body and MAF sensor cleaning etc. but I'm not sure if I should address that code problem first.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
dsmmace
ROC Rank: Freshman
2007 RTL
Other

Send a message via MSN to dsmmace
Re: Check engine light on w/P0420 and freeze frame data.

You probably need a new cat on bank 1.
-92 Talon TSi AWD 11.88@119mph - sold
-00 Bayliner Capri 20.6ft 4.3L 300+ hp?
dsmmace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2008, 04:39 AM   #3
atikovi

Would that be the front or rear?
Old 12-12-2008, 05:30 AM   #4
ericrwalker
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Redrock Pearl / Gray

That would be the front....my RL tripped that code at 82,000 miles they did a 50/50 warranty repair for me but they changed the rear cat.

I brought it back last week and complained and they just changed the bank 1 cat for free since they made a mistake.

Now I have been driving for the last month with no inpection sticker...I hope this fixes my issue so I can get my RL inspected.

2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL With Navi Red
www.sakurawalker.com
ericrwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2008, 05:59 AM   #5
ChrisM
2006 RTL
Redrock Pearl / Beige

P0420 is the rear bank which is considered Bank 1. (pg 11-10 of the 06' shop manual.)

P0430 is the front bank.

The gist of the diagnostic procedure is to reset the MIL when the engine is cold and then start up the truck. Hold down the accelerator at 3k rpms until the radiator fan comes on and then let the truck idle. Then drive the truck at 55 mph for 5 minutes.

This is supposed to be done with the HDS attached to the truck but no one here has one. I would say that the MIL (check engine light) is a decent substitute. The description basically says that if you get a fault code during any of this process that you should replace the WU-TWC.

What is the WU-TWC? It is the catalytic converter. In this case, it is the back one which is about a $350 part.

PS. I'm curious if you have any exhaust mods. Honda usually has a reason why they do everything. The exhaust header for the rear bank has a bizarre curly queue in it that would exhaserbate the cooking of the rear cat if the back pressure is changed from stock.

I would imagine that any exhaust modifications would throw off the air balance in the pipe and cause heat soak in the rear bank converter which would cause premature failure.

ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2008, 06:36 AM   #6
atikovi

The truck has no exhaust mods, it's bone stock. I thought I would check or replace the O2 sensors first since they are the only way the computer can monitor the cat and if they are bad or lazy they may simulate the results of a bad cat.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:00 PM   #7
ChrisM
2006 RTL
Redrock Pearl / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
The truck has no exhaust mods, it's bone stock. I thought I would check or replace the O2 sensors first since they are the only way the computer can monitor the cat and if they are bad or lazy they may simulate the results of a bad cat.
If the O2 sensors are the same, swap them so you don't have to spend any money on parts. If the engine throws a P0430 code, you know it has a bad sensor. (P0430 is the front bank)

You can look up the part numbers on Majestic Honda's website.

ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
dougwtx
2006 RTS
Amazon Green / Olive

I had that error on my '06. A person mentioned switching brands of gas and after a couple of tanks, it went away. If I use 'cheap' gas, it comes back on.
dougwtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
TeamRidgeline
2007 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

I lost bank 1/rear at 82k and bank 2/front at 120k

both the bricks were all busted up when we removed them for replacement
2007 RTL Steel Blue Metallic/Gray, Leer Topper with e-lock rear hatch, Dynolock e-lock for rear gate, Centric semi-metallic brake pads, Belltech/KW V3 double-adjustable coilover suspension kit modified with 10k front and 14k rear springs, SPC adjustable front camber bolts, SPC adjustable rear camber upper control arms, 245/65-17 Bridgestone Blizzak DZ-M3 winter tires or 245/65-17 General Grabber HTS summer tires

Last edited by TeamRidgeline; 05-10-2010 at 06:10 PM.
TeamRidgeline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
clemley21
2006 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

I was just searching through and found this thread because i just got this code as well. I changed the plugs and then a few days later i got this code. I through one of the fuel cleaner things in and by a half tank the light was gone. Here 2 or 3 weeks later it came back yesterday and last night it went off when i drove home from the movies. When i woke up it came back on lol. So i wonder if it is just a bad tank of gas too? weird i hope i don't need to replace any parts? Any ideas what they may sound like?
clemley21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.