Parking Brake Freezing? - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 12-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
heyload
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RT
Steel Blue Metallic

Parking Brake Freezing?

Has anyone had an issue with the parking brake freezing while engaged? My left rear wheel refused to roll this morning after releasing the parking brake. Roadside assistance got it towed to the dealer who just said they can't find a problem with it and everything seems to be working normally.
I know I never had the problem with my Prelude or my wife's Santa Fe. Anyone else?
heyload is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
shovelhd
ROC Rank: Comma Club HOF 10,000+
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Re: Parking Brake Freezing?

Do you use it daily? Most of these problems occur when the e-brake hasn't been used consistently. I use mine daily and have no problems with it.
Kenwood DDX8019*Garmin KNA-G510 Nav 2009 Maps*KCA-BT200 Bluetooth*KTC-HR100 HD Radio Tuner*KTC-V500N TV Tuner (RIP)*KCA-iP200 iPod Adapter*SIR-KEN1 Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner with Lifetime Subscription*Webb OEM XM Antenna Conversion*PPI DCX-730 DSP*Eclipse XA4000 Mains Amp*Rockford-Fosgate T1500bd Sub Amp*Rainbow SLC 265 Front Components*Rainbow 165 SL Rear Coaxials*(2) Diamond Audio D610D4 Subs in Custom Subthump Box*KP Technologies Rollup Modules
shovelhd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
codda
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2013 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyload View Post
Has anyone had an issue with the parking brake freezing while engaged? My left rear wheel refused to roll this morning after releasing the parking brake. Roadside assistance got it towed to the dealer who just said they can't find a problem with it and everything seems to be working normally.
I know I never had the problem with my Prelude or my wife's Santa Fe. Anyone else?
Had the exact same problem. I believe there is a TSB on it. I had mine replaced on warranty. ( After it was released at the dealership...they replaced the cable when I went in for another unrelated issue.) It happened about a week after I got my truck.

Shovel Head is right..use it or lose it. I never use mine and now I'm afraid to use it for any length of time because I fear it will stick again...
codda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
dk miller
ROC Rank: Senior
2007 RTX
Dark Cherry Pearl

Frozen, corroded, stuck parking brake cables and linkages have plagued most cars since Henry Ford reluctantly abandoned mechanical brakes back in the stone age.
I agree that those that are used daily usually work OK.
dk miller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #5
Jack
ROC Rank: Senior
2008 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Living in the nothern parts of the US while in the Air Force and overseas in cold areas, we never used the emergency brakes to park a vehicle if the tempurature was expected to go below freezing. We used wheel chocks instead. Parking brakes will freeze if there is any moisture on the drume/disks and pads or shoes. Also, the lubricants in the cables gets really stiff and can actually act like a frozen brake. Example: Offutt AFB, winter of 1983. 20 degress and 50 MPH wind. Young airman set the parking brake on the colonels staff car when closing down for the day. In the AM, the colonel is late getting to a briefing at SAC HQ because the car won't move.

I have seen it happen in Korea, Europe, and even here in Northern Virginia.

Watch Ice Road truckers on TV? They don't set the parking brakes.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2008, 06:27 AM   #6
shovelhd
ROC Rank: Comma Club HOF 10,000+
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

I live in Western Massachusetts. We get plenty of snow, ice, and salt. I use my parking brake daily and have never had a problem with it. The problem is not with the pads and rotors. Mine will freeze up just from rust due to rain. Once the wheels have broken free and the brakes applied to clear off the rust, no further problems. If the brakes are dragging it is most likely a cable issue. Cables freeze up when you don't use them.
Kenwood DDX8019*Garmin KNA-G510 Nav 2009 Maps*KCA-BT200 Bluetooth*KTC-HR100 HD Radio Tuner*KTC-V500N TV Tuner (RIP)*KCA-iP200 iPod Adapter*SIR-KEN1 Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner with Lifetime Subscription*Webb OEM XM Antenna Conversion*PPI DCX-730 DSP*Eclipse XA4000 Mains Amp*Rockford-Fosgate T1500bd Sub Amp*Rainbow SLC 265 Front Components*Rainbow 165 SL Rear Coaxials*(2) Diamond Audio D610D4 Subs in Custom Subthump Box*KP Technologies Rollup Modules
shovelhd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
heyload
2006 RT
Steel Blue Metallic

Thanks all. I did use it every time I parked it on my driveway since there's a slight incline. It was cold, our first freeze here in West Texas I believe, so maybe there was enough to freeze that brake in place. The dealership told me that they cleaned and lubed the cable and all, but couldn't find anything that caused it. I'll be happy as long as it doesn't do it again.
Thanks again.
heyload is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
BruceRTL
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyload View Post
Thanks all. I did use it every time I parked it on my driveway since there's a slight incline. It was cold, our first freeze here in West Texas I believe, so maybe there was enough to freeze that brake in place. The dealership told me that they cleaned and lubed the cable and all, but couldn't find anything that caused it. I'll be happy as long as it doesn't do it again.
Thanks again.
I tried flying a plane a few months ago and could not make it move. I could not believe it! I had instructor once tell me to never use the emergency brake and I always thought - yea right. Until now. I had full throttle on with 3 passengers on board and the plane would not move. The emergency brake was off but it was stuck on. The FBO later put me in a different plane and all was good. Later I found out that they had to connect that plane to a truck and pull it until the brakes released. This was a 2007 Cessna 172 SP with G1000 cockpit. A $250,000 aircraft. Yet the brakes got stuck. I'm now a believer that emergency brakes can stick and I will never use another one.

Meets attended: Sedona IV in AZ - 2008, Tempe, AZ -2008, Phoenix, AZ - 2008, Sedona V in AZ - 2009, San Diego, CA - 2009 - Phoenix, AZ - 2009, Sedona VI in AZ - 2010, Sedona VII in AZ - 2011

2008 RTL /Navi
Purchased Dec 2007
Bug Deflector, Trailor Hitch, Dash Mat, ScanGauge, Rear Splash Guards, Westin Bed Xtender, Pop & Lock, BakFlip G2
BruceRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #9
lorunner1213
ROC Rank: Junior
2008 RTS
Dark Cherry Pearl

It was actually a service news that Honda issued. It states that where the E-brake exits the cab trhough the floor is where the problem may be. They say that since its the lowest point on the floor water puddles up there and enters into the E-brake cable. Than it freezes in the colder weather.
lorunner1213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 09:44 PM   #10
irocracer89
2008 RTX
Steel Blue Metallic

Anyone have a TSB on this?? Mine is froze now and will not go.....
irocracer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.