Do I need to replace all four tires??? - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

//-->
RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 12-21-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
Vector1
ROC Rank: Freshman

Do I need to replace all four tires???

Well... Unfortunately I walked out to my Ridgeline this morning and found that both drivers side tires had been slashed and were flat . I have just over 35,000 miles on these tires which are the OEM Michelin LTX M/S P245/65 R17's. Would anyone know if I would need to replace all four tires at this point or if it is OK to have two new tires on one side of the vehicle?

2007 Ridgeline RTS -
Aberdeen Green w/Hood Air Deflector, Running Boards, Front/Rear Splash Guards and a Roof Rack.
Vector1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
shovelhd
ROC Rank: Comma Club HOF 10,000+
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Re: Do I need to replace all four tires???

I would put the new ones up front, move the other ones to the back, and don't rotate them. These GM owners must have been celebrating their bailout.
Kenwood DDX8019*Garmin KNA-G510 Nav 2009 Maps*KCA-BT200 Bluetooth*KTC-HR100 HD Radio Tuner*KTC-V500N TV Tuner (RIP)*KCA-iP200 iPod Adapter*SIR-KEN1 Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner with Lifetime Subscription*Webb OEM XM Antenna Conversion*PPI DCX-730 DSP*Eclipse XA4000 Mains Amp*Rockford-Fosgate T1500bd Sub Amp*Rainbow SLC 265 Front Components*Rainbow 165 SL Rear Coaxials*(2) Diamond Audio D610D4 Subs in Custom Subthump Box*KP Technologies Rollup Modules
shovelhd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 08:38 AM   #3
northernlights
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2006 RTS
Steel Blue / Gray

If the NOT slashed tires are showing cracks or dry rot I'd see if I could get them rated at a tire store. Get a police report on the slashed ones and call your insurance. You might be able to get four news ones pretty cheap depending on your deductable.
northernlights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
hwycycle
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

It depends... At least, you'll have to put the remaining tires on the same axle. Try replacing the slashed tires and see if the computer likes the new tires. From what I understand if the overall circumference of the tires and rims are drastically different from the new ones... you might have a problem...

In my Department, we use Ford Explorer which require the replacement of all 4tires if just one tire is damaged... amazing but true. I recently sent our 2008 Explorer (5 months in service) to the shop with one cut tire... and it came back with 4 new tires... The Explorer is driven by supervisors and had only 22k miles on it...
Silver RTL, moonroof, OEM Brushguard, OEM Tube steps, OEM Fog Lights, OEM Rear Mud Guards, OEM Chrome Rims, 2011 RTL rims & tires, OEM Grill Upgrade, OEM Bed Extender, Hidden Hitch, Pioneer AVIC-F90BT, ScanGuage II, Softopper, Viper 5904 alarm/auto start, Interior LED's, LED lightbar.
hwycycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
larryr
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2009 *Former Ridgeline Owner
White / Beige

1. Radial tires from one side should never be used on the other side of the car. Radial tires rotate front to rear and vice veras.

2. Radial tires should be replaced by Axle - Both front or both rear at the same time.

That being said:

Since both tires slashed are on the same side. you need to replace all 4 at the same time.

How good is your local Honda Dealer. I picked up 4 ridgeline OEM tires from a dealer in NC for $250 for all 4 with 10 miles on them. The dealer put 20" custom wheels on a new Ridgeline and sold the wheel rims on ebay and had the tires left. Your local Honda Dealer may do the same thing.

Also try ebay if you can wait a few days for tires .

The 199 fill ups on my 2009 Ridgeline - I just had 8 wonderful years in the Ridgeline but the Electronics are too many generations behind.

larryr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 09:21 AM   #6
TraumaTruck1
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RTX
Dark Cherry Pearl

I would replace all 4. The way the 4x4 system works, the truck is in 4x4 everytime you drive. Not just when it's slippery when you would usually put a truck into 4x4. Any difference in tire circumference can cause major problems because the front and back will turn at different speeds. If you had 10,000 miles I would get 2, but since you are almost half worn I would go with all 4.
TraumaTruck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
franc944
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Send a message via AIM to franc944

Call me captain obvious but would't the lowest cost solution be to buy 2 used Micheline LTX tires from a local tire place or the internet.

I got one locally for $35 otd recently when I had sidewall damage on one with 30,000 miles on it.

I made about 15 calls out of the yellow pages to dismatlers and used tire shops.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
northernlights
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2006 RTS
Steel Blue / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryr View Post
1. Radial tires from one side should never be used on the other side of the car. Radial tires rotate front to rear and vice veras.

Only if a directional tire?
northernlights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #9
TraumaTruck1
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RTX
Dark Cherry Pearl

Captain Obvious has the best idea if you can find them. I had a similar situation and found one. I forgot about that earlier. I think I paid $45.
TraumaTruck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #10
Webwader
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 RTS
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
Radial tires from one side should never be used on the other side of the car. Radial tires rotate front to rear and vice veras.
It's too bad Honda has it all wrong as they recommend rotating the fronts straight back to the rears and CROSS rotating the rears to the front as long as they are non-directional tires.
2008 Ranger 1860 Angler w/150 Yamaha - 3,950 lb

"Things will get better as they improve."
Webwader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.