Powering Sirius unit by splicing into 12V outlet - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mods, Installs and How-To's

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 02-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
MF'r
ROC Rank: Freshman

Powering Sirius unit by splicing into 12V outlet

Hey all,

I'd like to place my Sirius Starmate in "not an ashtray". I'd also like to not have that big ugly power adapter on one of those the 12V outlets on either side. I'm not electrician, so this may be a crazy idea, but here's what I'm thinking:

1. Take the Sirius cable and cut the end that plugs into the outlet off of it.
2. Cut into one of the cords that runs into one of the power outlets.
3. Splice that cable so there are now two outputs
4. Reconnect with one cord into the 12v power outlet and then attach the other to the starmate cable.

Will this work without frying my truck?

Thanks guys!
MF'r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
MF'r

Re: Powering Sirius unit by splicing into 12V outlet

OK...I thought I searched all over, but after I posted I found this:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ead.php?t=2371

Exactly the info I was looking for.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
e_piph_a_ny
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Why not use Add-A-Circuit fuseholder tap, add a cigarette lighter adapter and then plug in the Sirius ac adapter and tuck everything under the dashboard with tie strips?

e_piph_a_ny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
bigdogrod
ROC Rank: Junior
2007 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

depending on what unit you have, it might run on 5 volts not 12, cutting the wires and connecting them straight to the trucks wiring will fry your unit (sirius, that is)!

i put my starmate 3 in the not an ashtray and did just what e_piph_a_ny suggests, works like a charm.

a wird from the wise, signal level and sound quality from the fm transmitter isn't that loud or clear, i got the antenna adapter and the sound quality improved but the volume level isn't that great (sirius all the way up, and the radio at about 17 is adequate), i'd suggest an aux input adapter like the isimple if you have an ipod. that way you can have the ipod hooked up, plus another input for sirius.

bdr

What? they're not?
bigdogrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
MF'r

Ok....good thing I asked. I have the starmate 3 also.

So are you guys saying there are unused spots in the fuse box where I can attach one of these?

Also...where do you suggest getting the parts?

I have the USA Spec, so I will be plugging direct into that...no FM transmitter for me!
Old 02-03-2009, 08:16 AM   #6
MF'r

Oh man...found the answer again!

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ad.php?t=20550

Thanks, e_piph_a_ny!
Old 02-03-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
e_piph_a_ny
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

MF'r,

glad to share the wealth...

e_piph_a_ny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
bigdogrod
ROC Rank: Junior
2007 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

yup i did the same with the outlet, and wrapped a couple turns of electrical tape around so the plug won't pop out and kill the sirius and then i have to take the dash apart again..

What? they're not?
bigdogrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
blueridge33
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Might check to make sure your unit is being fed 12 VDC from the adapter. I did the same thing your doing, cut the end of the plug and directly wired into the radio harness to power my XM roady unit. I lost power to the unit and was trouble shooting and noticed that the power female receptable on the XM unit said 6 VDC. It will run on 12 VDC, but much warmer as a result. Went back the the adapter and all is well again. From looking at the supplied adapter I would have never suspected that there was a voltage conversion going on - but it measured 6 VDC.
blueridge33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #10
firefighter3666
ROC Rank: Senior
2007 RT
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Assuming that the power conversion for your Sirius radio is done in the auto kit and not the cord, you can tap power off the 12v outlet without hacking the stock wiring.

If you pull the lower center console and look at the back of one of the power outlets, you'll see that they use a standard spade connection that is built into the stock connector. Take the outlet to autozone, and you can find the right size connectors. I can't find the photos I took, but it was a simple job making a short jumper to place between the truck's connector and the outlet. This jumper has a tie in for the power to my gps.
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mods, Installs and How-To's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.