changing spark plugs - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 02-13-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
flying butcher
ROC Rank: Sophomore

changing spark plugs

well I guess you all will be able to tell how darn OLD I am by this question. How do you change the spark plugs?? I race drag race my boat and work on the outboard but the only type plugs I am familiar with are the ones you just pull the rubber boot off and unscrew the plug. The ones on my Ridgeline are a mystery to me. Any help appreciated just rolled over 102000 and same plugs and no problems yet??
flying butcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
RustyH
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Re: changing spark plugs

Check you manual for the spark plug removal. Locate the "plug ejection" switch towards the rear of the firewall and set it to "autoeject" and stand back. You might want to have a catchers mitt handy for the front three plugs.

sorry, it's Friday and I'm ready for the weekend.
06 RTL, 2011 ROTY billet cubby cover, door sills and license plate frame. Polished Billet Grills, Custom paint, 275/45R/20 Yokohama tires on Rozzi Octane wheels. caliper covers, custom airbag suspension. Kenwood DVD Player, Rockford Power T15004 Amplifier, Six Rockford Power 6.5" speakers and 2 10" downfiring subs. Custom 3 color Wet Okle seat covers. Airraid CAI, throttle body spacer, Magnaflow muffler, Truxedo Pro Tonneau Cover, Hidden Hitch, smoked head and taillights.
RustyH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
kwoodman
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2007 RT
Aberdeen Green Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyH View Post
Check you manual for the spark plug removal. Locate the "plug ejection" switch towards the rear of the firewall and set it to "autoeject" and stand back. You might want to have a catchers mitt handy for the front three plugs.

sorry, it's Friday and I'm ready for the weekend.
I was unable to find the switch...
But I have an easier way... I change plugs with my cell phone.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
rstoomanyhobbies
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTL
Redrock Pearl / Gray

..Butcher, if the above tips don't help the Ridgie still uses plugs they are just under the ignition coils. Each cylinder has its own now so just take the engine cover off then it should be pretty clear. At 100K probably a good idea to replace them with some anti-sieze compound. Hope they come out ok.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
kermit777
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 *Not a Ridgeline owner
Billet Silver / Gray

that's one thing I miss on my ridgeline...6 spark plugs. replaced my ridge with a ram1500 quad cab w/5.7L hemi with MDS (uses 4 cylinders under light load) and surprisingly get almost exactly same gas mileage. back to the point though, it has 16 spark plugs and manual recommends replacement every 30,000 miles. dealer quoted ~$240 and I know why...took me 2.5 hours to change them. 2 plugs and one coil pack per cylinder w/2 bolts per coil pack and 2 of the coil packs were hidden under the master cylinder and firewall. funtastic!!

Last edited by kermit777; 02-13-2009 at 02:35 PM.
kermit777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
RustyH
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Changing the plugs on my supercharged Ford Expedition.....over $500.00 After walking out and attempting it myself, I realized why. It took my an entire weekend and about 25 bucks for bactine and bandaids before I was able to change all eight plugs. I didn't help that I had lifted the damn thing, so I had to stand on a stepladder half the time. I finally had to remove the supercharger, move the power steering resivour and both coil packs and then disconnect the water hoses to the heater core before I finally got all the plugs. This was the first time I'd every done a coil pack vehilce and it was a PITA. Hopefully, the Ridgeline looks a heck of a lot easier. I'll be pulling my plugs out at 36,000 for a quick cleaning and just to make sure they don't get welded to the head. I know the plugs are supposed to be good for 100,000, but better safe than sorry.
06 RTL, 2011 ROTY billet cubby cover, door sills and license plate frame. Polished Billet Grills, Custom paint, 275/45R/20 Yokohama tires on Rozzi Octane wheels. caliper covers, custom airbag suspension. Kenwood DVD Player, Rockford Power T15004 Amplifier, Six Rockford Power 6.5" speakers and 2 10" downfiring subs. Custom 3 color Wet Okle seat covers. Airraid CAI, throttle body spacer, Magnaflow muffler, Truxedo Pro Tonneau Cover, Hidden Hitch, smoked head and taillights.
RustyH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
Rich
ROC Rank: Senior
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying butcher View Post
well I guess you all will be able to tell how darn OLD I am by this question. How do you change the spark plugs?? I race drag race my boat and work on the outboard but the only type plugs I am familiar with are the ones you just pull the rubber boot off and unscrew the plug. The ones on my Ridgeline are a mystery to me. Any help appreciated just rolled over 102000 and same plugs and no problems yet??
Butcher,
Think old hemi head.
Remove the bolt on each coil.Twist to unseat boot and pull.
You might have a connector at the boot to make removal easier.
A little air down the hole to remove debris.
Use a cheater for some toque.Those plugs have been in for a while.
Anti-sieze the plugs and install.
Hope this helps I am not a Ridge owner.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2009, 07:34 AM   #8
flying butcher

thanks for replys guys going to do soon
flying butcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #9
ace5000
2006 RTS
Billet Silver / Gray

Did you ever change those plugs? How do I get to the rear ones?
ace5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #10
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

I had a tough time changing the plugs on a ford exp 97. I put the grease recommended by auto zone, I had to replaced them 10k miles later because I put Bosch plugs, I learned to never put a German plug in domestic car, When I removed them it felt like the grease was glue and not grease, tight process all the way out perhaps the heat does that to the threads.
Is there any other grease you can use? high temp grease? white or black brake wheel bearing grease?
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.