check engine and VTM-4 light on - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 02-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
miroslavp
ROC Rank: Freshman
2007 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

check engine and VTM-4 light on

I have a Honda Ridgeline 2007 with 45K miles on it.Occasionally I get check engine and VTM-4 lamp,on. I ran a diagnosis and the computer showed two error codes. P0172 and P0175 (system too rich on both banks).
Possible causes:
-intake blocked
-evaporation canister purge valve
-fuel pressure
-EGR system
-injector(s)
-HO2S
Before anyone suggests I take my car to the dealership,my car is in Europe.
Does anyone know which one of these might be the problem?
The engine runs a bit rough when idle and sometimes turns off.
Otherwise the car runs well.
miroslavp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
chisoxjim
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RT
Other

Re: check engine and VTM-4 light on

I had this issue a while back. There are a few threads on the topic I believe. My problem was from a tank of bad fuel. Fried the fuel injectors.

good luck
Old 02-28-2009, 05:53 AM   #3
Some Mook
*Not a Ridgeline owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroslavp View Post
P0172 and P0175 (system too rich on both banks)....

-EGR system

...The engine runs a bit rough when idle and sometimes turns off.
What does the freeze data show for TPS and MAP when the DTC's set?

If the TPS was at 0.47 - 0.50 volts (meaning closed throttle) and MAP was greater than 1 volt (meaning higher than normal intake pressure), the odds are very good that the EGR valve was sticking open.

The EGR VLS parameter should be less than 1.2 volts at idle (ideally you'd see it at 1.13 - 1.15 volts.

An EGR valve that is sticking open can cause stalling at idle, and fuel system rich DTCs for both banks.

Take a look at the EGR VLS at idle with the engine warmed up, and also look at your MAP value - if both values are high, tap (lightly) on the side of the EGR valve with a screw-driver handle or small (2 oz) ball peen hammer. If both values drop when you do this (the idle will smooth out too), the valve pintle was sticking open, and you would be advised to replace the EGR valve.

BTW, you can ignore the VTM DTC (which was probably a 77-1 Powertrain System Failure) if the MIL was illuminated - the VTM code would have set simply because the PCM had set an MIL-request fault.

Last edited by Some Mook; 02-28-2009 at 05:56 AM.
Some Mook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
Silver 3.5
2008 RTX
Billet Silver Metallic

Bad gas could be the cause. I would check the air filter to make sure it's ok and that nothing found a home in the airbox or intake. I would be looking at the air mass sensor. Had a problem with a bad MAF on a different car that threw the same codes. Car ran ok but the light would come and go, then finally stayed on.
Silver 3.5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.