Need Advice on How to Add DVD/MP3 Player - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 10-08-2005, 07:02 PM   #1
BluRidgeBrian
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Send a message via Yahoo to BluRidgeBrian
Need Advice on How to Add DVD/MP3 Player

I would like to update the stereo in my RTL w/ MR + XM - No Navigation. I find the factory system does not sound good on the highs and the bass isn't as full as I'd like. I do not want a bone-crushing, bass thumpin', eardrum destroying system. I just want it to sound good - real good.

Here's my goal:
  • Add auxillary input for an MP3 player
  • Add DVD player with screen
  • Improve speakers (including subwoofer)
  • Improve XM display

My Plan:
  • Connect new amplifier to factory head unit
  • Replace 4 main factory speakers
  • Add aftermarket powered subwoofer
  • Add Kenwood DVD/MP3 player below existing factory unit (in the same place the Honda MP3 player gets installed)
  • Connect Kenwood unit through the "AUX" button on factory unit
  • connect existing XM tuner to new DVD/MP3 player

Here's my questions:
  • Can you access a preamp signal on the back of the factory unit or are the only signals available at speaker-level?
  • Where is the factory XM radio tuner located in the car?
  • Who makes the factory XM radio tuner? Does anyone now how to interface it to another system?
  • Has anyone used a JL Audio CleanSweep? Do you think it's required to make a factory head unit sound good through aftermarket speakers?
  • Has anyone installed an aftermarket, powered subwoofer in their RL? Any comments on either the Kenwood KSC-SW1 or the Infinity BassLink T?
  • Has anyone used the "PIE X3-HON03 2003-Up Honda T-Harness for X3" and the PIE X3 to get 3 Aux inputs into there RL (and keep your XM Radio)?
  • Is anyone willing to share the appropriate sections in the service manual that describe how the factory 6-disc changer is connected?

Quick notes:
  • I do not want a custom subwoofer enclosure. While they work great, I would like an easy install and I would prefer to keep the space under the back seat (but I am open to custom enclosure ideas)
  • I choose a Kenwood head unit because I like the user-interface; it allows you to play MP3 files stored on DVD-R (4.7 GB of music); it can display XM Radio; and it can provide me an aux input to use my other MP3 player
  • I could live with the factory XM radio, but I would like a better display that will show the station name, group, and song title all at the same time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2005, 02:42 PM   #2
djdj
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Re: Need Advice on How to Add DVD/MP3 Player

• You will not be able to connect the factory XM tuner to your new DVD/MP3 player. It uses Honda's connectors and bus protocols and won't talk to a Kenwood.
  • As far as I can tell there is no 'pre-amp' output on the stereo at all. (according to service manual documentation)
  • The factory XM tuner is behind the back seat, right side of the vehicle, behind a noise dampener.
  • The factory XM tuner is made by Pioneer. It will not interface into another system.
  • The factory 6-disc changer is an integral part of the factory stereo.
  • Good luck with the Kenwood. I have tried Kenwood several times and have always been very seriously disappointed with the quality and resistance to skipping.
  • If you replace the factory XM with your own, you will also have to replace the XM antenna, which requires removing the headliner... Quite a chore.
  • If you use the PIE X3-HON03 2003-Up Honda T-Harness for X3" and "PIE X3" essentially all you are doing is replacing the XM tuner's audio with the audio from whatever devices you have connected. I believe the head unit's display will still show XM info no matter which audio source you are actually hearing. You will press the XM button to access the DVD/MP3 audio if you go this route.
Audio/Video System Installation / Center Console Triple Power Outlet Install
djdj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.