B 1-6 Service...rip off?? - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 06-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
Tcape
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2008 RTL
Formal Black

B 1-6 Service...rip off??

Took my RL in today for the B 1-6 (shows up on the MM as B16) service. The dealership quoted me a price of $280 for the entire service. I checked the owner's manual and saw that the only significant thing I couldn't do was change the differential fluid. So I told the guy to do only that. Cost was $87. I came back home and changed the oil myself, using Mobil 1 synthetic oil. Got a Honda filter at the dealership and installed that, too. I also rotated my tires in my driveway....total cost = 0. Everything else on the B 1-6 service was "check this, check that." I saved about $200 by doing this stuff myself. REALLY hard to pay a dealership for all the stuff they say "has" to be done. Thank goodness for DIY.
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
Rodek
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RTX
Dark Cherry Pearl

Re: B 1-6 Service...rip off??

Wow.... Saving 200.00 is enough incentive for me to DIY.
Rodek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
Jet Pack
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2006 *Not a Ridgeline Owner
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcape View Post
Took my RL in today for the B 1-6 (shows up on the MM as B16) service. The dealership quoted me a price of $280 for the entire service. I checked the owner's manual and saw that the only significant thing I couldn't do was change the differential fluid. So I told the guy to do only that. Cost was $87. I came back home and changed the oil myself, using Mobil 1 synthetic oil. Got a Honda filter at the dealership and installed that, too. I also rotated my tires in my driveway....total cost = 0. Everything else on the B 1-6 service was "check this, check that." I saved about $200 by doing this stuff myself. REALLY hard to pay a dealership for all the stuff they say "has" to be done. Thank goodness for DIY.
If you can change engine oil, why can't you change the diff. oil?
Jet Pack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009, 11:21 PM   #4
Jack
ROC Rank: Senior
2008 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Tcape,

I had the same issue on the B 1 6 service. Fairfax Honda in Virginia quaoted me a price of 380$ for the full service! I went to Fairfax in Alexandria and they did the same job without an appointment for 160$. Yeah 160 can be beat but i wanted Honda to do it so if I have problems I have weapons! As soon as I get at the end of the warranty I may do the whole thing myself. Don;t forget they also get you for tire rotation in thos deals!
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 01:38 AM   #5
Cajun Country Ridgeline
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

It is the $85.00per hour that eats the cost. Parts cost is small compared to the whole cost.
I am out of warrenty now but the only people who have ever worked on my Ridgeline are Honda dealers. Who can your trust not to make a mistake and ruin something. It is my understanding that some of the Ridgeline maintainence requires special tools.
Moonroof, XM, Foglights, Roof Rack, Bed Extender, Running Boards, Trailer Hitch Package,Rear Splash Guards, Hood Air Deflector, Dark Floor Carpets, PinStriping, Full Size Spare,G E Nighthawk headlights 9003/HB2 Honda Door Visors. RAMPAGE 49" L.E.D. Brake Light w/indicators. Boss 318 Chrome 17x8 wheels on P245/65R17 Firestone Destination LE2
Cajun Country Ridgeline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 06:13 AM   #6
ToyTruck
2013 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

My Honda dealer now charges $100 per hour and they scratch your car for free too. Outrageous!
ToyTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 07:13 AM   #7
Ahab
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RT
Steel Blue / Gray

Had my B16 done earlier this week. Total cost, $168.23.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 07:41 AM   #8
MarkF
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

The tranny on my 03 Accord went at 65,000 miles. 03 Accords are known for tranny problems and mine was recalled once already. I had to pay $900 for a new tranny, Honda "paid" the difference, around $2700. Needless to say I am not happy with this. In my dealings with them, at the national and local level, I confronted them with the fact that ALL work on the vehicle was performed at the dealership. This is not right and Honda should have paid for the entire cost but I'm glad I had at least that on my side.

Build 06/05
MarkF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
NJ RTL
2009 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Tom, at what mileage is the B16 service?
NJ RTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #10
MainelyRidgeLine
ROC Rank: Freshman
2007 RTS
Nimbus Gray Metallic

My B16 Service reminder just popped up too. I am currrently a little over 38K. The range of pricing is a little scary... I'll OK it for anything $225 and under and see if they will play ball on a quote that is higher. I DIY little things like air filter and cabin filter - and I am "able" to do a rotation on my own, so maybe I can save a little. Bottom line for me, is I have an extended warranty and I don't want any "fine print BS" if I have a major issue later. BTW, I just rewarded my hard work over that last few months with some additional window tinting... I think it looks great! I highly recommend it for anyone that thinks the tinted/non-tinted is a little unbalanced!
Drop Down DVD, XM Radio
Silver Turn Signal Bulbs
TruXedo Tonneau Cover
OEM Hitch (self installed)
Tinted DR/PASS windows
Stone Deflector
Painted Grille
MainelyRidgeLine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.