Michelin LTX 105T M/S or LTX AT/2 105S ? - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

//-->
RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 08-03-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

Smile Michelin LTX 105T M/S or LTX AT/2 105S ?

Need new Tires.

The LTX AT/2 claims to be quieter, has 14/32 of tread, better off road traction (I do not drive on dirt or mud, only if I have to) and longer life. It has a tread wear grade of 500. Claims to also be less noisy.

The LTX M/S claims better traction in snow ( I don't go to the snow often, I am in California) for all season has 11/32 of tread. It has a 420 wear grade meaning about 16% shorter life than the LTX AT/2 but this one wears even and I believe about 4 less revolutions per mile. I believe they made some improvements on the MS since the it is a 105T and not an 105S meaning it can be driving a bit faster but no big deal.

I bought the truck used with about 68K, I put about 10k miles in one year. I noticed cracks on the tires, still have 6/32 of tread life left, I will have to pay for the difference and need to decide which tire will be better. I was thinking about sticking with the M/S but maybe the LTX AT/2 is better. Price is the same, vendor says it is the same tire.

Here is the link I hope it comes up OK. http://www.michelinman.com/tires/lig...specifications

Any comments will be appreciated, thanks in advance and it is great to be part of this site, search and post questions.
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
spitfisher
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2006 RTX
Steel Blue / Gray

Re: Michelin LTX 105T M/S or LTX AT/2 105S ?

are the cracks on all four tires, if so replace all four. My guess your prorated amount could be less than $80-100 for all four. and that credit might only be used at a michelin dealer where you'll be likely to pay a higher price than the LTX found at costco for example.

see how much they give you , keep in mind that 2/32 the tire is spent, so if your are currently at 6/32 left, you really only have 4/32 of usable tread.

If you don't go off road- hard core. I would stay with the LTX rather than the AT2-deeper tread design and it's quiet when compared to it's competition of other deep lugged tires.

LTX is a super tire, especially suited for roads
spitfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
laserguy
2006 RTL
Other

Smile Re: Michelin LTX 105T M/S or LTX AT/2 105S ?

Hey thanks so much! Yes all four had cracks, 45% credit, deal at Sears for $182.00 each and $81.00 credit per tire. Costco's prices are similar and you get $70.00 discount buying 4. I am better off with Sears getting the $81 credit per tire I will stick with the M/S, the descriptions are confusing and you are right the AT 2 is more of an off road tire.

Thanks again! Have great week everybody!
Old 08-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
iambwfox
ROC Rank: Freshman
2008 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

I have an 08 with stock tires. I have had flats from rock breaks using them on gravel roads. I would like to go to an LT tire to avoid the flats. So far, everything is a slightly different profile and sounds like they might rub. I don't want to do a lift or any trimming. Is there a good LT tire with a higher ply rating that might work better than the stock tires?
iambwfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
ohiochap
2006 RTL
Sterling Gray Metallic

I just purchased a 2006 with 38000 and has original Michelin's on them and they too have cracks on all 4 tires. I emailed Micheline and they said it is normal for a tire to do this, especially if it sits outside, which may be true but that wasn't listed on the sticker when I purchased the vehilce. I asked the dealer and they assured me it was no issue. However, I do have a small buldge on the side of one, didn't notice when I purchased, I guess that is my fault. However, in reading your posts I noticed that you took your truck to a couple of dealerships and they are giving credit towards new tires. Is this something I can do to anyone who sells Michelin's or is there someone specific you would recommend taking them to? I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Patrick
ohiochap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
laserguy
2006 RTL
Other

Just do what I did, dude, call michelin, their website is michelinman.com call the number there explain the situation, they will ask you questions and tell you to go to a michelin tire dealer they inspect them and will determine if it is factory defect, measure the wear etc they will call michelin and give you credit for what you got left and charge you for the difference, make sure you pay no disposal fee because michelin wants those faulty tires.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
BigEZ
2008 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

Thumbs up Re: Michelin LTX 105T M/S or LTX AT/2 105S ?

just noticed my 08 garage queen w/21k has dry rot cracks on all 4. Thanks for the advice regarding taking it to a Michelin dealer. It's too bad b/c I actually really love the tires overall ride/performance in rain, snow, or dry.
BigEZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 06:05 AM   #8
Redridercr250r
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

Send a message via AIM to Redridercr250r

I'll say this again. I have 86k miles with dry rot all over and it never caused a problem. My question is, how does replacing the stock tires with stock tires avoid getting dry rot again?
Redridercr250r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 06:12 AM   #9
Cold.2
ROC Rank: Senior
2008 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridercr250r View Post
I'll say this again. I have 86k miles with dry rot all over and it never caused a problem. My question is, how does replacing the stock tires with stock tires avoid getting dry rot again?
Because the date of manufacture will be different, the issue with the compounds used in the construction will be addressed.
Cold.2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
Ridge Gator
2008 RTL
White / Beige

Just purchased an 08 and all tires have cracks. Went to Michelin dealer who called Michelin and they stated since I was not the origional purchaser of tires the warranty will not apply! Have not tried Honda dealer yet but am not hopeful. Any iedas?

Thanks

2012 Accord

1970 Boss 302
Ridge Gator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.