Enhancements to future models wish list - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Dear Honda: (Feedback Forum)

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 10-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #1
jtunson
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2009 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Enhancements to future models wish list

Sorry if this is covered in other threads but I just couldn't resist writing my own. While this certainly could fall under the "10 complaint list for the Ridgeline", my hope is it will illicit less rancor and negative feedback from those members that feel there is nothing Honda can do to improve upon the ridgeline . I love my ridgeline and would not trade it for anything (I have only owned it for 3 weeks!) and these are meant as a wish list, not complaints.

In no particular order:

1. Auto up/down for all windows. Maybe this could be a high end feature for the RTL model?

2. After turning off the car, continuous power for the radio/accessories when the key is removed but shut off when the drivers door is open. Many other manufacturers have been doing this for years!

3. A more refined seat belt alert. I rented a Ford Edge prior to my purchase and it was intuitive enough to know that if I remove my selt belt, it would wait momentarily(approx 30 seconds) before it chimed. This was helpful when pulling over to retreive mail from the mail box, retreiving items from the passenger areas that I could not reach due to the restraint. Or just trying to expedite getting out of the vehicle as soon as it is parked.

4. Fog lights that remain on when the regular lights are turned on. Why do they have to shut off? Is this a safety requirement? I personally like the look of the fog lights always being on .

5. Remote starter that allows control of the heating/cooling unit. Again maybe an RTL option?

6. Aux input closer to the driver.

7. Pneumatic(sp?) hood hinges, come on a prop rod?

8. Thicker clear coat.

9. Off road package.

10. Disable that stupid back window alert or at least mute it. I like a little fresh air circulating when it is parked.
jtunson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
KrisRidge
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2009 RTL
Bali Blue Pearl

Send a message via Yahoo to KrisRidge
Re: Enhancements to future models wish list

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtunson View Post
1. Auto up/down for all windows. Maybe this could be a high end feature for the RTL model?
Including Auto Open/Close Moonroof would be a nice.

Quote:
6. Aux input closer to the driver.
Aux Input in the center console is ideal so your iPod/MP3 Player stays hidden from possible thieves. There's a good thread on how to do that. It was one of my first Mods. Only cost was a long Stereo cable and some time.

Quote:
10. Disable that stupid back window alert or at least mute it. I like a little fresh air circulating when it is parked.
Yeah, I find it kinda funny that it alerts you that the back window is open, but doesn't tell you if the moonroof is open. If the moonroof is open, then rain can come inside while you are parked.

Whatever. I love my truck!

'09 Ridgeline RTL Bali Blue Pearl.
'04 Honda CRV EX. Black. (Wife's).
'05 Honda Civic
KrisRidge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
Jack
ROC Rank: Senior
2008 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Automatic headlights

Wipers that fold forward for easier replacement

A real clock

Seperate the headlight control from the dash lights
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Ian Brantford
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2009 VP
Sterling Gray Metallic

1. Telescoping steering column. The fixed one probably loses half the potential customers who take a test drive.
  2. "Snow mode" for VSA. Rather than cutting all power when there is too much wheel spin, accept the fact that floored throttle means that the driver is merging into traffic and really, really needs those wheels to turn. The current logic is fine for mud, where there is no solid bottom and spinning the wheels only makes things worse. On the road, it's taking too much control from the driver.
  3. Windshield wipers that do not clog in heavy snow.
  4. Properly investigate (and publicly document) the exploding rear window issue. If it's real, fix it. Don't wait until you get sued by someone whose baby got hurt.
  5. Cylinder deactivation, or whatever other non-radical change in technology is required to eke out better fuel efficiency.
  6. AC fan should run for a few minutes after turning off vehicle, to dry it out and prevent mildew.
  7. Console vents with vertical direction adjustments that actually work. The current ones always blast air at eye level. Both front and rear vents need this fixed.
  8. Stronger or better air supply. The current one is insufficient to keep all windows clear in cold weather with five adults in the cab. In particular, there is no way to keep the rear window clear without using the rear center vent, which again blasts hot air into passengers' eyes.
  9. More kneeroom for the driver. The bottom of the dash is impeding ingress and egress. We are hitting our knees on it (and often on the controls found there, which should be elsewhere).
  10. Much smaller key. All it really needs to do is talk to the engine, so ditch the mechanical spine and make the fob a tiny thing the size of a quarter, or a fingernail. Maybe a thick quarter, for the remote lock.
  11. Remote start from the standard fob.
  12. Seat material that doesn't stain/wear quickly.
  13. Seat heaters available for cloth seats.
  14. Heated seats for all seats.
  15. Redesign rear seat with more tolerance for articles under the seat and seatcovers over the seats.
  16. Roof rack that has virtually no wind noise. The Pathfinder has it. The Ridgeline can too.
  17. Locking front differential.
  18. Sensor for rear axles to indicate if either or both fail to engage for any reason (rather than just thermal failure).
  19. Make downshifting more responsive to moderate-to-strong pedal input. It does not need to be as strong a response as the Sprint Booster gives, and the 2009 model improved matters over previously... but it still needs a tweak. Get rid of that delay in response.
  20. Highway-speed gear shifting, especially under heavy load or on hills, also needs more tweaking. Either adjust the computer firmware to shift less or offer a D4 lock. Make this effective when cruise control is on, too.
  21. More range of travel in suspension system.
  22. Levelling system for rear suspension. Some of us actually carry heavy things and don't want to have to adjust the headlights.
  23. Tailgate swing mode open to 90 degrees, not 80 degrees.
  24. Lockable access hatch in side of trunk (to fetch things after bed is loaded).
  25. Rain-sensing windshield wipers.
  26. Windshield wipers that actually wipe well. I had to replace the passenger-side one with a 3rd-party teflon one within a week because it simply did not apply pressure correctly along the blade's length.
  27. Tie-downs mid-way along the bed's sides.
  28. Cable that can optionally be fastened on the right side of the tailgate when it's down for heavy loads. Hopefully this would allow the rating to increase from 300 lbs to 400.
  29. Rear window redesigned so that broken glass can be less expensively replaced. Currently, rolling an ATV too far forward in the bed is a thousand dollar mistake.
  30. Side mirrors with extending mounts (for towing).

The usual disclaimer: despite all of the above, I really like my Ridgeline. It's the best mid-size truck by far. Even with the three safety-related issues 2-4, it is the overall safest vehicle among those owned by all my family and friends.

I did not ask for a hybrid or diesel or V8. Most of what is above can be done by revising or enhancing what is already there. If there is going to be a big change, such as redesigning the whole vehicle to improve fuel economy, it might was well wait until Honda can copy/improve on the drive system in the Volt or any train (modest powerplant charging an electric drive system with high-torque motors on the wheel hubs). When that happens, I'll get on the list to upgrade.
Ian Brantford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
chisoxjim
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RT
Other

1) a dually option
2) smoke stack exhaust
3) hood scoop
4) turbocharger

twitter: @GrubSeeker
chisoxjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
tigertom1965
ROC Rank: Junior
2007 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

1) A trunk with a flat floor instead of having a ledge on the right.
My golf clubs sit at a weird angle in the trunk and I am worried I might bend my clubs and since club prices are outrageous I won't be able to afford new ones.
2) A hard tonneau cover that doesn't leak.
3) Work with aftermarket companies to get more accessories available when the truck comes out. Would love to see a lift kit, or a tent that fits the back, would like a cap but I can't find anyone that keeps them around or wants to deal with them.
4) Full size spare tires. No mini spares please.
5) Replace that rear seat plastic gear that keeps breaking, with metal so the rear seats don't have an erection problem and cost so much to fix them out of warranty
6) A regular 4x4 system like all the other trucks have would be a nice option. 7) This way a V8 or Diesel engine could be added.
8) A VTM+4 button that locks all four wheels to spin at the same time (If this is possible) instead of just the rear two wheels.
9) More tow capacity. This includes more power for towing down lower in RPMs.
10) Get rid of the auto locking front doors if they are not opened within a set time period. When I am loading the car in my driveway it is a royal pain to constantly be unlocking the doors all of the time when my hands are full. Or at least give me a much longer time period before they lock on their own like 10-15 minutes.
11) An engine that shuts down at highway speeds (Unless you are towing) to help save on gas usage.
12) A new auto delaer setup so we can get dealers that are actually out to help customers instaed of rip us off. Like the 5 star dealers or something. Give us a way to report a bad dealer without them knowing about it so there is no pay back down the line.
13) Lower prices!!!! For vehicle and maintainence items.
tigertom1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
rebturtle
2007 RTS
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertom1965 View Post
1) ...Would love to see a lift kit...
There are several 2" lifts available. Don't pay over $300 for them though, because they are just strut spacers. Search the forums for threads on lift kits. I would love to see something better though, like custom coilovers that would give us more travel instead of just lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertom1965
6) A regular 4x4 system like all the other trucks have would be a nice option.
Basically, this system is much better than a traditional 4x4 system for the intended market (suburban drivers who want a mild truck). There are trade-offs. It might not get you up a rutty hill in the mud, but it is less likely to put you into a ditch on a rainy day.

Quote:
7) This way a V8 or Diesel engine could be added.
This truck has a transverse-mounted engine. This allows them to shorten the nose slightly, as well as design a lot of safety features like the way the powertrain will roll beneath the passenger compartment in a front-end collision. Having a transverse-mounted engine produces a lot of technical hurdles when you start asking for bigger engines. First there is a lot more mass, physical dimensions, and torque to deal with. Secondly, there is a physical limit to just how much power a transverse transmission can handle. If you've ever had to remove one, you realize how compact they are. Back in the 90's there were a lot of developmental problems with CV joints not holding up to 150HP. Now we have a truck w/250HP and a transverse engine. Any diesel option will more likely be a small, economical one rather than a Cummins-style diesel. The unibody frame just isn't meant for the heavy workloads that a motor like that would encourage.

That said, I thought I read in one of the Off-Road magazines recently that a V8 is in the works for 2011. I found a blurb about it here, but it doesn't show the publishing date. The article appears at least a couple years old.

Quote:
10) Get rid of the auto locking front doors if they are not opened within a set time period. When I am loading the car in my driveway it is a royal pain to constantly be unlocking the doors all of the time when my hands are full. Or at least give me a much longer time period before they lock on their own like 10-15 minutes.
You can disable this. Check your owner's manual. It was the first thing I looked for when I read it.

Quote:
11) An engine that shuts down at highway speeds (Unless you are towing) to help save on gas usage.
This was investigated by Honda long ago, but they have stated that due to increased weight and aerodynamic profile (compared to Pilot) that variable displacement would be ineffective. It will supposedly be available for the V8 version.

Last edited by rebturtle; 10-26-2009 at 12:12 AM.
rebturtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 12:03 AM   #8
rebturtle
2007 RTS
Nimbus Gray Metallic

My measly request is to add some detents on the center console armrest so it doesn't slide forward and back every time I actually try to rest my arm on it! Maybe 3 or 4 positions that it would lightly "click" into while you moved it.
rebturtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 06:24 AM   #9
noy65
ROC Rank: Freshman
2009 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

i like all your wish list,, but does it means more $$$$$$$?
noy65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #10
Ian Brantford
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2009 VP
Sterling Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by noy65 View Post
i like all your wish list,, but does it means more $$$$$$$?
There are a few items above that ask for a lot (like significantly different engines or suspension). However, most of them are on par with the 50 changes that came with the 2009 "refresh" of the Ridgeline. If takes time to assess, approve and design any changes. If we want at least some of them to be integrated into another refresh 2 or 3 years down the line, it's time to start piping up now.

This section of the forum is called "Dear Honda". Does anyone with influence at Honda read it? I doubt that they'd answer for themselves here, but maybe someone else can. If not, can anyone say what Honda does for customer consultation?
Ian Brantford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Dear Honda: (Feedback Forum)

Tags
09 nighthawk black rtl , no mods but will soon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.