Plate frame... (sort of)... - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Accessories

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 10-29-2005, 04:33 PM   #1
scottIN
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Amazon Green / Olive

Plate frame... (sort of)...

Since those wacky engineers @ Honda apparently don't feel that Ridgeline Owners deserve to be able to use plate frames, I had to come up with something. Having the edge of the frame exposed just irked me.
So...
My first thought was to get black air-line tubing for aquariums, slit it, and then wrap the edge of the plate. Well, Walmart only had clear air-line tubing...which would kind of defeat the purpose of hiding the edge. Time to stroll the aisles and see what else I could find.
In the automotive aisle (of all places!) I found door edge guards. They're U-Shaped channels that have legs that extend about 1/8". Not quite as flexible as I would have liked, but I figured I could make them work. One piece was just long enough to wrap the top and sides of the plate. The kit I bought was by Bell and contained two pieces.
Install went like this:
Center channel on top edge of plate with equal lengths extending on each side. Make 45 degree release cuts on the back side at the corners to help the bunching. Heat the channel with a hair dryer to make it bend around the corners easier. Push the channel onto the sides. I also put a couple dabs of epoxy on the back of the plate just to make sure it didn't come off, but the channel already has an adhesive in it.
Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the solution ($2.88 & 4 minutes work) for now. There are slight puckers in the corners on the front, but not noticeable from 3 feet away. I'd snap a few pictures, but my camera is @ work. I'll try to get some beginning of the week.
scottIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2005, 04:55 PM   #2
nighthawk
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Re: Plate frame... (sort of)...

I was able to find a plate frame that fits the Ridgeline front and rear.

Chrome low profile from Pep Boys.
Attached Images

nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2005, 05:01 PM   #3
RAND
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTL
Redrock Pearl / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottIN
In the automotive aisle (of all places!) I found door edge guards. They're U-Shaped channels that have legs that extend about 1/8". Not quite as flexible as I would have liked, but I figured I could make them work. One piece was just long enough to wrap the top and sides of the plate. The kit I bought was by Bell and contained two pieces.
Install went like this:
Great idea! I installed the door edge guards on the truck. Now I've learned another use for it. Thanks.
RAND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2005, 06:42 AM   #4
scottIN
2006 RTL
Amazon Green / Olive

Well, I did find an actual frame that will fit the back. Found it at Target, it's by 'MG' (Mobile Gear). The sides are extremely thin-maybe 1/8 of an inch. They were available in black and chrome (got black myself) and were $6.99.

I had to insert the bottom first and then tilt the top up toward the holes to get it in, but it does work. Now, it would be nice if (a) my holes were drilled straight and (b) Honda left a little more room for the bottom holes and reinforced them like most car makers do.
scottIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2005, 06:45 PM   #5
bonerep
2006 RTL
Amazon Green / Olive

Looks good.. Where di you get the chrome tailpipe???
GROC #7
Burtam Dash kit, tomtom700, Infinity 6012 speakers in front and Eclipse in rear, Ridgeline license plate covers, MagnaFlow dual exhaust, ROC decal, Ridgeline door emblems, Retraxx bed cover, Door sills by 5S Dude, XM, ScanGaugeII, Nighthawk Pearl Body Mouldings.
bonerep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2005, 04:19 PM   #6
JOZ RIDG
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Redrock Pearl / Beige

I found this plate frame at PEP Boys also. $2.99 ea.

It fits down into bumper slot with no problem. Not real fancy but at least gives a little chrome look.

PEP Boys had literally a hundred different types of frames. Look for one with a border size of about 3/16" thick and 1/4" wide.

The brand name on this one is "Cruising Accessories"
Attached Images

JOZ RIDG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Accessories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.