How to change wheel bearings. - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
Qxtreem
ROC Rank: Junior
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

How to change wheel bearings.

Hi gang.
I have tried a few different searches. And Not sure if this belongs here or in How To's so please forgive.

I am starting to hear a clicking noise on the highway. It is not every time and comes and go's. I am thinking it is a bad wheel bearing.

Is this something I can do myself? I searched DIY sites and it seems kind of easy. Has anyone done this themselves?

Honda Navigation/XM. OEM: Rear View Camera, Sunroof, Roof Rack, Auto D/N Mirror, Tow Package, Honeycomb Grill, and Fog Lights. Skyjacker Lift Kit. 245/70/17 GoodYear AT Adventure w/ Kevlar tires. Scangauge II. Truxedo Low Pro Tonneau. 50% Tint(over factory) on the front, rear and back windows, and 8% Limo on the sunroof. Protecta bed Mat. KP Technologies Windows Up Module. Figs Props. Royal Purple 5w-20 Oil. ROC Decal. Built 10/06, bought 11/06.
Qxtreem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
Uconn411
ROC Rank: Freshman

Re: How to change wheel bearings.

If it's a clicking noise, it's more likely a bad CV joint. A bad wheel bearing produces more of a constant hum that changes with speed. This page explains everything on more detail: http://www.dnd-automotive.com/chassis/bad-cv.htm
Uconn411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
Skeeter7424
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

Re: How to change wheel bearings.

im with uconn on this one. i clicking is usually not a wheel bearing. a wheel bearing will be a hum that changes pitch with speed. also, if you jerk the truck back and forth (on a road that is empty ) the noise will change from side to side, at least if only one is bad.

i cannot see there being any way for you to do a wheel bearing at home. they are pressed into your front knuckle. most people take the whole front knuckle off and put it in a hydraulic press. there are however some of us that have made tools to replace them on the truck without taking the hub apart other than the axle and lower ball joint, however this still requires 2 different special tools, and a SERIOUS impact gun.

i would still shy away from this being a wheel bearing problem, however without driving the truck myself, i cannot be a ton of help

...skeeter...

Any Honda help that you need in the Boston, MA area, please feel free to ask!!
2006 RTS Steel Blue Matallic - Borla exhaust, custom test pipe, intake...blower in the works ...
Skeeter7424 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.