Tonneau cover or Topper - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Accessories


RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
egjoni
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RTX
Billet Silver Metallic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 138
Tonneau cover or Topper

Which one do you prefer/advise and why? Pics preferred
egjoni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-17-2009, 07:14 AM   #2
r-squared
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Steel Blue Metallic
 
r-squared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,306
Re: Tonneau cover or Topper

Quote:
Originally Posted by egjoni View Post
Which one do you prefer/advise and why? Pics preferred
I've had both - a tonneau (bakflip) on the RL and a topper (ARE Z)on a dodge Dakota.

Topper (ARE z-series):
Pros: Dry, secure, looked cool
Cons: If you need it to haul something that exceeds the dimensions under the cap, its cumbersome to remove.
Also, they are very expensive, it takes lead time to order then (At least by me) and if you go to sell it you take a hefty beating.

Tonneau (Bakflip)
Pros: Dry enough (a little gets in but no big deal), looks cool, removes in less than 2 minutes when you need full bed access. There are many tonneau solutions and they are a fraction of the cost of a topper.
Cons: Not as secure. On camping trips, its like playing tetris to get all the items to fit under there, but it can be done.

Do a search for the Softtopper on this site - I think its a cool solution.
r-squared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
DrZew
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RTX
Dark Cherry Pearl
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: western Mass.
Posts: 138
Re: Tonneau cover or Topper

I have the extang solid fold and love it. Looks great,installs a breeze,secure,removes very easy but a little expensive.
DrZew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
madsoufu
ROC Rank: Freshman
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1
Re: Tonneau cover or Topper

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-squared View Post
I've had both - a tonneau (bakflip) on the RL and a topper (ARE Z)on a dodge Dakota.

Topper (ARE z-series):
Pros: Dry, secure, looked cool
Cons: If you need it to haul something that exceeds the dimensions under the cap, its cumbersome to remove.
Also, they are very expensive, it takes lead time to order then (At least by me) and if you go to sell it you take a hefty beating.

Tonneau (Bakflip)
Pros: Dry enough (a little gets in but no big deal), looks cool, removes in less than 2 minutes when you need full bed access. There are many tonneau solutions and they are a fraction of the cost of a topper.
Cons: Not as secure. On camping trips, its like playing tetris to get all the items to fit under there, but it can be done.

Do a search for the Softtopper on this site - I think its a cool solution.


This is an interesting discussion. thank you for sharing
However I think you should vary more examples to your writing much more interesting !
madsoufu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
r-squared
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Steel Blue Metallic
 
r-squared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,306
Re: Tonneau cover or Topper

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsoufu View Post
However I think you should vary more examples to your writing much more interesting !
Its actually work for me to keep things concise - I'd bore you all the other way and not make much of a bigger point.

I use my RL to do a lot of home improvement stuff, especially landscaping type things where access to the bed is important. I take advantage of a local recycling center where they give out mulch and take in yard waste for free. Given the amount of time I need the bed accessible, a topper doesnt make sense for me.

When I had the topper on that previous truck, I didnt own a home ( a lot less work and projects, and a heck of a lot more disposable income), and I did a ton of road trips. The topper was great for that. I miss what it offers every now and then but I've been able to make it work with just the tonneau.

It all comes down to your needs. And your budget.
r-squared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 02:57 PM   #6
Sparkland
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2008 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Dark Cherry Pearl
 
Sparkland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thornton, Colorado
Posts: 2,165
Re: Tonneau cover or Topper

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-squared View Post
Its actually work for me to keep things concise - I'd bore you all the other way and not make much of a bigger point.

I use my RL to do a lot of home improvement stuff, especially landscaping type things where access to the bed is important. I take advantage of a local recycling center where they give out mulch and take in yard waste for free. Given the amount of time I need the bed accessible, a topper doesnt make sense for me.

When I had the topper on that previous truck, I didnt own a home ( a lot less work and projects, and a heck of a lot more disposable income), and I did a ton of road trips. The topper was great for that. I miss what it offers every now and then but I've been able to make it work with just the tonneau.

It all comes down to your needs. And your budget.
I am making a similar decision. The topper looks great, but if you ever need to take it off, I understand they are difficult to get sealed properly, especially on the RL. For the cost, I am going to stick with something similar to the Bakflip G2.

Brad
Sparkland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
squigusti
ROC Rank: Freshman
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1
Re: Tonneau cover or Topper

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-squared View Post
I've had both - a tonneau (bakflip) on the RL and a topper (ARE Z)on a dodge Dakota.

Topper (ARE z-series):
Pros: Dry, secure, looked cool
Cons: If you need it to haul something that exceeds the dimensions under the cap, its cumbersome to remove.
Also, they are very expensive, it takes lead time to order then (At least by me) and if you go to sell it you take a hefty beating.

Tonneau (Bakflip)
Pros: Dry enough (a little gets in but no big deal), looks cool, removes in less than 2 minutes when you need full bed access. There are many tonneau solutions and they are a fraction of the cost of a topper.
Cons: Not as secure. On camping trips, its like playing tetris to get all the items to fit under there, but it can be done.

Do a search for the Softtopper on this site - I think its a cool solution.

Yes , It is the best choice!
I strongly agree with you !
squigusti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #8
ridgerunning
ROC Rank: Junior
2009 RTL
Sterling Gray Metallic
 
ridgerunning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Alberta
Posts: 322
Re: Tonneau cover or Topper

Here is my 2 cents, I have an extang trifold with a locking tailgate, which provides security for carrying equipment for my business. Removal is easy withing a couple of minutes if necessary to carry taller things.
Toppers are ok, they are lockable and secure, but you dont have a rear windshield wiper, and can lose visibility really easy in rain or snow. Depending on what you haul in the back maybe the Pilot is the better option.
Soft toppers are like convertable cars with rag tops, anyone with a knife can cut it open just to have a look, as I have seen happen.
And of course the roll and lock ones can remove some of your bed length, and I dont like that, although they are a really cool idea.
So for me the trif-fold is the way to go.
__________________
mahna-mahna
ridgerunning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2009, 07:53 AM   #9
BruceRTL
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray
 
BruceRTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 1,733
Re: Tonneau cover or Topper

I agree with the Tonneau cover! I just ordered a Bakflip yesterday. It was difficult to sell my wife on the idea but using my incredible negotiation skills and powers of persuasion, I was successful!
__________________
Thanks
BruceRTL

Meets attended: Sedona IV in AZ - 2008, Tempe, AZ -2008, Phoenix, AZ - 2008, Sedona V in AZ - 2009, San Diego, CA - 2009 - Phoenix, AZ - 2009, Sedona VI in AZ - 2010, Sedona VII in AZ - 2011

2008 RTL /Navi
Purchased Dec 2007
Bug Deflector, Trailor Hitch, Dash Mat, ScanGauge, Rear Splash Guards, Westin Bed Xtender, Pop & Lock, BakFlip G2
BruceRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2009, 08:47 AM   #10
RustyH
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige
 
RustyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 4,562
Re: Tonneau cover or Topper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceRTL View Post
I agree with the Tonneau cover! I just ordered a Bakflip yesterday. It was difficult to sell my wife on the idea but using my incredible negotiation skills and powers of persuasion, I was successful!
So, how many nights a week do you need to do the wash AND massage her feet for the next year?
__________________
06 RTL, 2011 ROTY billet cubby cover, door sills and license plate frame. Polished Billet Grills, Custom paint, 275/45R/20 Yokohama tires on Rozzi Octane wheels. caliper covers, custom airbag suspension. Kenwood DVD Player, Rockford Power T15004 Amplifier, Six Rockford Power 6.5" speakers and 2 10" downfiring subs. Custom 3 color Wet Okle seat covers. Airraid CAI, throttle body spacer, Magnaflow muffler, Truxedo Pro Tonneau Cover, Hidden Hitch, smoked head and taillights.
RustyH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Accessories

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tonneau Cover Companies patr_1_8 Accessories 176 04-26-2011 06:25 AM
Broken BakFlip Tonneau Cover mrcicero Exterior 15 03-13-2011 08:16 AM
LEER Topper with Tonneau Cover MNUser Racks, Hitches & Towing 4 01-15-2008 08:31 AM
Bed extender and Honda tonneau cover... Nicholas Accessories 4 07-15-2006 11:20 AM
Bakflip Tonneau cover option to the Retrax rcbnet Accessories 5 06-07-2006 08:03 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:39 PM.



Views and opinions expressed on this forum are not necessarily those held by Autoforums, Inc. or forum management.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.