$189.00 2010 DVD Map Update for Honda Nav system is a huge ripoff - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-15-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
jMoMo
ROC Rank: Freshman

Angry $189.00 2010 DVD Map Update for Honda Nav system is a huge ripoff

Today I received in the mail a notice about a 2010 DVD Map Update being available for the low low price of $189!

Wow, what a huge ripoff. The whole original Honda nav system isn't worth $200, never mind the $2000 that I originally paid for it.

Are you flat-out offended at the insulting price of the Honda nav system and the cost of updates? If so, post a simple, "Yea, me too!" below.

To be fair to the entire industry, I am under the impression that all vehicle OEM nav systems are terrible compared to an iPhone, Google/Android phone, or any basic $200 Garmin or TomTom nav system.

Friends don't let friends buy OEM Navigation systems in new vehicles. They are always a ripoff. Know someone shopping for a vehicle? Be sure to tell them what you think.

FYI, I have a Android/Google phone, so I use that for navigation. It's far superior.

Sorry for being so negative about the Honda nav system, it really does suck. I enjoy my Ridgeline over all, and it's a good vehicle, but the nav system is a ripoff, in my opinion.

Last edited by jMoMo; 11-15-2009 at 08:30 PM.
jMoMo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
MikeT
Mall Ninja Moderator
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Re: $189.00 2010 DVD Map Update for Honda Nav system is a huge ripoff

Welcome to the reason that I never selected to the NAVI in my RTL.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
Nimbus1
ROC Rank: Senior
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

It's convenient for the backup camera, which was the main reason I got it, but I have to agree. Honda is charging an obscene amount of money for a DVD upgrade. I just ordered the 2010 version as the first update to my 2007 original and I'm rationalizing that if I only upgrade every 3 years, it's $60/year. Still, I wasn't happy with the purchase price and I'm not happy with the price of the upgrades.

2007 Nimbus Grey RTL with Navi, camera, Honda towing package, rear splash guards, RTX front grill, Truxedo Lo-Profile QT, Full-size spare, Weathertech mats
Nimbus1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
BruceRTL
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Yea I got that offer in the mail. I threw mine away. I wasn't insulted. I refuse to let business manipulate my emotions. As I've said many times, I like the NAV in my RTL but I agree it's to much money for just a Nav system. Good thing it does more then just GPS. 189 bucks for the update! Can you believe it. When I'm out of town using a rental, I find myself using "Motion X Drive" on my Iphone. It's pretty good and only costs me 3 bucks for 30 days. I only activate it when I need it.

Meets attended: Sedona IV in AZ - 2008, Tempe, AZ -2008, Phoenix, AZ - 2008, Sedona V in AZ - 2009, San Diego, CA - 2009 - Phoenix, AZ - 2009, Sedona VI in AZ - 2010, Sedona VII in AZ - 2011

2008 RTL /Navi
Purchased Dec 2007
Bug Deflector, Trailor Hitch, Dash Mat, ScanGauge, Rear Splash Guards, Westin Bed Xtender, Pop & Lock, BakFlip G2
BruceRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #5
Truckin'
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

It's too expensive for us. We've never updated and I'm not sure we ever will. I still like the old fashioned fold up maps for when we're out of familiar areas so if Nav isn't completely up to date I can fall back on my maps and hope between the two (or more) we don't end up hopelessly lost.

We bought Nav for the back up camera in dash too. I don't regret the purchase for all the times it's helped BIGGUY not back into things.
'06 Steel BLUE RTL with NAV, OEM roof rack, running boards, backup camera, hitch, rear mud guards, air deflector, underseat storage, body side moldings, pin stripes, decals, Doggie Deck, Retrax, vent visors, bull bar, dash plate, tubular hitch step, XM!!
Truckin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
jailor1
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2009 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

My wife insisted that we update her Honda Accord navi - so we did. The good part ? We sold her old navi DVD for $85 on EBAY. Not such a bad deal. When I want navi - I will buy the $200 Garmin, thank you very much !!
jailor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2009, 04:32 AM   #7
kwoodman
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2007 RT
Aberdeen Green Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailor1 View Post
My wife insisted that we update her Honda Accord navi - so we did. The good part ? We sold her old navi DVD for $85 on EBAY. Not such a bad deal. When I want navi - I will buy the $200 Garmin, thank you very much !!
I bought a high end Garmin a couple of years ago. It's great. It's my handsfree device for my cell, I took it on holidays for my rental vehicle, and the updates are around $90, which I will do every 3 years for a cost of $30 per year.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:39 AM   #8
shovelhd
ROC Rank: Comma Club HOF 10,000+
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

The Kenwood/Garmin updates for my unit are about $110.00 and come on an SD card.
Kenwood DDX8019*Garmin KNA-G510 Nav 2009 Maps*KCA-BT200 Bluetooth*KTC-HR100 HD Radio Tuner*KTC-V500N TV Tuner (RIP)*KCA-iP200 iPod Adapter*SIR-KEN1 Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner with Lifetime Subscription*Webb OEM XM Antenna Conversion*PPI DCX-730 DSP*Eclipse XA4000 Mains Amp*Rockford-Fosgate T1500bd Sub Amp*Rainbow SLC 265 Front Components*Rainbow 165 SL Rear Coaxials*(2) Diamond Audio D610D4 Subs in Custom Subthump Box*KP Technologies Rollup Modules
shovelhd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2009, 07:23 AM   #9
SRQRIDGE
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceRTL View Post
When I'm out of town using a rental, I find myself using "Motion X Drive" on my Iphone. It's pretty good and only costs me 3 bucks for 30 days. I only activate it when I need it.
Bruce
thanks for ther tip and this find....My last vacation I packed my Garmin....I will give this a try instead.

Chuck Norris commerical is my favorite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mg8EMmOWQI&NR=1

ROC Member
AKA: Dan

73 and counting Mods/add ons, see profile and pictures on photobucket
SRQRIDGE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
TexnNC
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jMoMo View Post
Today I received in the mail a notice about a 2010 DVD Map Update being available for the low low price of $189!

Wow, what a huge ripoff. The whole original Honda nav system isn't worth $200, never mind the $2000 that I originally paid for it.

Are you flat-out offended at the insulting price of the Honda nav system and the cost of updates? If so, post a simple, "Yea, me too!" below.

To be fair to the entire industry, I am under the impression that all vehicle OEM nav systems are terrible compared to an iPhone, Google/Android phone, or any basic $200 Garmin or TomTom nav system.

Friends don't let friends buy OEM Navigation systems in new vehicles. They are always a ripoff. Know someone shopping for a vehicle? Be sure to tell them what you think.

FYI, I have a Android/Google phone, so I use that for navigation. It's far superior.

Sorry for being so negative about the Honda nav system, it really does suck. I enjoy my Ridgeline over all, and it's a good vehicle, but the nav system is a ripoff, in my opinion.
Unfortunately, that's standard for manufacturers with built-in navigation. Honda is actually the cheapest I've heard of for updates. That is for an oem unit, not a stand alone aftermarket device. You're dealing with a built-in unit that wasn't made in the tens of thousands so you've got higher costs involved. Technology is rarely cheap (for anything worthwhile) and nobody likes to pay for updates, me included.

I love (not) spending money every 1 to 2 years to update my OS for my computer, virus software - tech software, updates for any software for that matter. I can think of $700.00 in the last year updating stuff.

I received the same card and I'm not updating anytime soon. I have to pay for my other updates first.
-Honda lawnmower

Last edited by TexnNC; 11-17-2009 at 07:51 AM. Reason: addition
TexnNC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.