Check Engine/VTM-4 light on... - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
CrowMagnumMan
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

Check Engine/VTM-4 light on...

Just had the little engine icon light up and the VTM-4 light come on at startup. They stayed on. Interesting to note that last Wed. I had my oil/oil filter, air filter, and VTM-4 oil changed. The RL also sputters when slowing down to stop and when stopped but does not stall. Thoughts?
06 Steel Blue RTL/Nav - OEM fog lights, OEM hood deflector, OEM rear mudflaps, OEM all-weather Ridgeline front mats, OEM trunk mat, OEM 4.73 Nav. disc, 5S Dude's license plate frame/door sills, E&G grill, chrome pinstripes, Raptor 4" oval SS side steps, SportWing side protectors w/ Ridgeline badges, chrome hubcap skins, Weather Tech rear floor mats, AVS window visors, FastLane heavy duty bed mat, chrome door handles, tailgate handle, taillight covers, mirror covers, and side vent strips.
CrowMagnumMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Re: Check Engine/VTM-4 light on...

Engine light and sputtering.... bad gas?

VTM-4 light comes on... problem with the VTM-4 system.

Recent maintenance? It all sounds too coincidental to me.

Sorry... not much help here.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
CrowMagnumMan
2006 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

Gas is a possibility. I was running out of gas, needle was on E, starting sputtering a bit, filled it alittle. Went home. Had to run right back out, started it up, and the engine icon came on.

VTM-4 - who knows.

However, you are right. Way too coincidental. Just got it serviced last Wed. and 6 days later, problems.

Goes in today at 2:30PM. We shall see.

Thanks!
06 Steel Blue RTL/Nav - OEM fog lights, OEM hood deflector, OEM rear mudflaps, OEM all-weather Ridgeline front mats, OEM trunk mat, OEM 4.73 Nav. disc, 5S Dude's license plate frame/door sills, E&G grill, chrome pinstripes, Raptor 4" oval SS side steps, SportWing side protectors w/ Ridgeline badges, chrome hubcap skins, Weather Tech rear floor mats, AVS window visors, FastLane heavy duty bed mat, chrome door handles, tailgate handle, taillight covers, mirror covers, and side vent strips.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
thefinks13
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RT
Billet Silver / Gray

Thumbs up Re: Check Engine/VTM-4 light on...

engine light def from air getting in system no big deal may need dealer to clear light at least i had to...twice...no history with other light i have changed that fluid a few times i used small motorized pump to remove old fluid and make sure you use honda vtm4 fluid. no other.
good luck.
keep me informed.
thefinks13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
CrowMagnumMan
2006 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

Would air cause the sputtering? Easy to turn the light off, but, it is sputtering.

VTM-4 service was done by the Honda shop.

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #6
shovelhd
ROC Rank: Comma Club HOF 10,000+
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

I hope they filled the differential back up.

The engine sputtering could be from running the fuel down to empty. Mash the gas a few times.
Kenwood DDX8019*Garmin KNA-G510 Nav 2009 Maps*KCA-BT200 Bluetooth*KTC-HR100 HD Radio Tuner*KTC-V500N TV Tuner (RIP)*KCA-iP200 iPod Adapter*SIR-KEN1 Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner with Lifetime Subscription*Webb OEM XM Antenna Conversion*PPI DCX-730 DSP*Eclipse XA4000 Mains Amp*Rockford-Fosgate T1500bd Sub Amp*Rainbow SLC 265 Front Components*Rainbow 165 SL Rear Coaxials*(2) Diamond Audio D610D4 Subs in Custom Subthump Box*KP Technologies Rollup Modules
shovelhd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #7
CrowMagnumMan
2006 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

Well, this is going to cost me $220. Went today. They told me it was the EGR valve. It was clogged and I need a new one. Cost $146. They charged me for an hour's labor today - $74. Told me it is NOT under warranty. Hmmmm. 2006 with 32,900 miles on it. Thought it was an emission part which would be covered to my knowledge.

Anyway, it is what was causing the engine to sputter. It inturn caused the engine light to go on which in turn make the VTM-4 light go on because according to them, when there is something wrong with the engine, it shuts down the VTM-4 because the engine is unable to supply power to it, etc.

I am just curious why I was charged for them to run the codes and "clean" the EGR valve, yet, I need a new one. When I started it up, both lights were out. Took it about a mile and the truck still sputtered so I turned right back around and told them about it. They pulled some type of plug and it runs better than it did before????? Engine light and VTM-4 light came back on though. Part is ordered.

Thoughts?
Old 12-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
Nga_and_Phu
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

I just had my 30K maintenance over a month ago on my 06 Rigdeline. check engine and VTM light came on as I was pulling out of the driveway. Got to the corner, turned off the engine and started back up again. The VTM light disappeared but the check engine light still on.

Taking into the dealer to diagnosis -- It's going to be at least $100 for the diagnostics. Interesting how this happens just as the the 3yr/30k warranty runs out.

03 Galant -- Back to Honda
97 Accord LX (wife's)
95 Accord LX
90 Accord LX
87 Prelude Si
85 Prelude
Nga_and_Phu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #9
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nga_and_Phu View Post
snip
Taking into the dealer to diagnosis -- It's going to be at least $100 for the diagnostics. Interesting how this happens just as the the 3yr/30k warranty runs out.
That would be 3 year/ 36k warranty.

Or 5 years/60k for the drivetrain.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
Nga_and_Phu
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Yip it was 3yr/36K warranty. The service was a for B36 code, performed at 41K. The check engine light came on at 42.6K

Dealer checked it out and reported Code P0116 Coolant Temp Sensor Range Performance. A software update cleared the check engine light.

Software updates should be covered by the manufacturer as a service bulletin. If you release software that buggy and needs to be updated, the update shouldn't cost the consumer. In the in the information technology industry, software updates to fix bugs or patch an issue are released as free updates. The auto industry should do the same. At least provide a longer warranty period for software updates. Maybe 5yr/60K warranty on software updates.

It feels like stuff starts to break soon after manufacturer's warranty expires for me all the time. Guess I'll be investing in extended warranties more often.

03 Galant -- Back to Honda
97 Accord LX (wife's)
95 Accord LX
90 Accord LX
87 Prelude Si
85 Prelude
Nga_and_Phu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.