Replacing Spark plugs Question - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mods, Installs and How-To's

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 08:26 AM   #1
tigertom1965
ROC Rank: Junior
2007 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Replacing Spark plugs Question

I know I have between 66500 and 67000 miles on my 07 and some of you will be questioning me doing this now but on a severe service life schedule the plugs, timing belt, and check of the water pump should be done at 60000 miles. I think I read that right.

On my last couple of GM vehicles I was told to use a tool that helped me remove the plug boots without damage as I kept breaking the plug wires right near the boots.

Is there such a tool for the Honda vehicles? Or is there any trick to getting the boots off without damage? Or should I just replace the wires now while I am in there? Do you use the anti sieze compounds on your plugs?
tigertom1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
07_rtx
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2007 RTX
Dark Cherry Pearl

Re: Replacing Spark plugs Question

There are no plug wires, its coil packs. You take out a allen bolt and pull the coil pack with the spark plug attachment out in one pull up. If you look under the hood you can see 3 black boxes and the allen bolts i am talking about. There are 3 identical ones on the back side of the engine. Pull the engine cover off and replace the plugs. Its very simple, buy you will need a long extension on the socket since honda puts spark plugs deep in the heads. Because they are coil packs you have no need to replace them for a long long time. I dont use anti seeze, but some do. Good luck!

Last edited by 07_rtx; 12-09-2009 at 08:45 AM.
07_rtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
07_rtx
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2007 RTX
Dark Cherry Pearl

Here is a pic. Look just beside my oil cap and under the 3 turn tabs on the engine cover. You will see the front 3 coil pack boxes that i am talking about
Attached Images

07_rtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
csimo
2014 SE
White/Black

FYI, even on the severe maintenance schedule the service schedule for the spark plugs and timing belt both remain at 105,000 miles. No change from the normal service schedule.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
CrowMagnumMan
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

Joe,

It would not hurt anything to change them earlier, correct? I am nowhere near that but was thinking of changing around 75K. Thoughts?
06 Steel Blue RTL/Nav - OEM fog lights, OEM hood deflector, OEM rear mudflaps, OEM all-weather Ridgeline front mats, OEM trunk mat, OEM 4.73 Nav. disc, 5S Dude's license plate frame/door sills, E&G grill, chrome pinstripes, Raptor 4" oval SS side steps, SportWing side protectors w/ Ridgeline badges, chrome hubcap skins, Weather Tech rear floor mats, AVS window visors, FastLane heavy duty bed mat, chrome door handles, tailgate handle, taillight covers, mirror covers, and side vent strips.
CrowMagnumMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
csimo
2014 SE
White/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowMagnumMan View Post
Joe,

It would not hurt anything to change them earlier, correct? I am nowhere near that but was thinking of changing around 75K. Thoughts?
I've only seen about a dozen sets of plugs out of Honda 3.5 liter engines changed at the 100k - 105k mile range. Virtually all of them were in excellent condition except for one bank on one engine that had an obvious mechanical problem. The factory plugs are iridium and if I hadn't seen them myself I would never have believed it.

In other words I don't think you'll hurt anything by changing them sooner than recommended, but I don't think you'll gain anything either.

I would change them at the same time the timing belt is changed out at 105k miles. Change the water pump, idler and tension pulleys, serpentine belt, thermostat and hoses. You'll be good to go for another 105k miles.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
CrowMagnumMan
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

Thanks bub!
06 Steel Blue RTL/Nav - OEM fog lights, OEM hood deflector, OEM rear mudflaps, OEM all-weather Ridgeline front mats, OEM trunk mat, OEM 4.73 Nav. disc, 5S Dude's license plate frame/door sills, E&G grill, chrome pinstripes, Raptor 4" oval SS side steps, SportWing side protectors w/ Ridgeline badges, chrome hubcap skins, Weather Tech rear floor mats, AVS window visors, FastLane heavy duty bed mat, chrome door handles, tailgate handle, taillight covers, mirror covers, and side vent strips.
CrowMagnumMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
tigertom1965
ROC Rank: Junior
2007 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Quote:
MM Code 4

Replace spark plugs
Replace timing belt and inspect water pump
If you drive regularly in very high temperatures (over 110F,
43C), in very low temperatures (under-20F, -29C), or towing a
trailer, replace every 60,000 mile (U.S.)/100,000 km (Canada
Inspect valve clearance
According to my 2007 RTL owners manual page 242.
tigertom1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
kthi7
ROC Rank: Freshman

there are some posting on which brand to use bosch fusion, ngk laser irridium, pulstar be1...least to most expensive, respectively.

i found a set (6 plugs sold in 3 packages) of pulstar for 75 at autozone. not sure why they are so inexpensive (comparatively)...perhaps they mistakenly label 24.99 for one plug, but each package comes with 2. every where else its 49.99 for 2 plugs.

i leaned toward using ngk laser irridium (13.99 each) until i found the pulstar deal.

they will be installed in my 06 rt with 100k on a new second set of tires. thanks for the clues on where the other 3 plugs are located.
kthi7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
happyjoey
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2006 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Angry Re: Replacing Spark plugs Question

My pul stars failed with only 13 k miles on them. not happy.
47 modifacations.Cat back magnaflow.AFE air intake.side bumper strips.bull bar.running boards.lite bar strip.hid headlight system.gps Sony 4.8.back up vidio.cb radio and P.A.chrome wheel skins.led backup lights.tonneau cover.bug deflector.chrome mirror, door and trunk handles skins. drilled sloted rotors. larger tires. Fox hood ornament. 42 feet of stick on chrome, and roof rack, to name some of the expensive ones. most modifications inspired by ROC.
happyjoey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mods, Installs and How-To's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.