TPMS rebuild with new tires? Needed or Scam? - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

//-->
RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
zuhl
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

TPMS rebuild with new tires? Needed or Scam?

I am getting rid of my Cooper Zeon LTZs tomorrow. One has a huge bolt through it and another has a small hole in the sidewall. Getting two replaced so I am gonna swap them all out since they ride loud as hell on the highway. I am considering 265/60/R18 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos. I want something a little smaller and more highway freindly and they look like they will fill the bill without looking too wussy. These coopers look awesome, but they are loud and they drop my fuel economy by 4 mpg.

Anyway, Discount wants to charge $60 to rebuild the TPMS sensors with the new tires. Apparently they just started doing this. They act like it is mandatory. I think that sounds like a big pile of crap. Nothing is wrong with them and they are not ever touched so why should they go bad? This sounds like a scam to me. Anyone else have experience with this.
Mods: Access Soft Tonneau Cover, Curt Hitch, Avalanche bed mat, Aftermarket Fogs mounted in grill, GE Nighthawk bulbs, 2" Rancho Lift, 18" Black Chrome Ruff Racing Wheels, 265/60/R18 Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo II Tires, Pop N Lock (manual), 12" Pioneer Shallow Sub behind rear seat, 300W Eclipse Amp, Polk db650s all around.
zuhl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
ProHonda
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 *Not a Ridgeline owner
Billet Silver / Gray

Re: TPMS rebuild with new tires? Needed or Scam?

Firestone just charged me $16 for the kit with $12 labor

Sounds like more BS to me.................
Old 12-28-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
ChrisM
2006 RTL
Redrock Pearl / Beige

They tried to sell me this "rebuild" when I went in for my tire swap. I finally caved after I told them that I had already had the stems (TPMS) out of the wheels when I had them powder coated.

Long story short, they didn't even have the "rebuild" kits in stock for my truck.

The tire shop put the new tires on the rims without rebuilding the TPMS sensors and (drum roll please)

Absolutely nothing out of the norm happened. The tires held air and the TPMS sensors TPMS'ed. The tires have since not lost any air after several months other than the normal tire pressure that you lose when it gets colder outside. The TPMS are still TPMS'ing today just as good as they did the day I got the truck.

I would ask your tire dealer if they would upgrade you to a king sized tub of Vaseline if you purchase both the TPMS rebuild AND the Nitrogen tire fill.

ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
SteelCity
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
Long story short, they didn't even have the "rebuild" kits in stock for my truck.

The tire shop put the new tires on the rims without rebuilding the TPMS sensors and (drum roll please)
At least your shop was honest. Most of them would have acted like they rebuilt them and still charged you.
SteelCity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
zuhl
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

I am thinking it is BS. I am probably gonna fight them if they try to force it on me. I have taken these TPMS out of my factory wheels 30k miles ago and put them in my current 18" aftermarkets. They were not rebuilt then and there were no problems.

Thanks!
Mods: Access Soft Tonneau Cover, Curt Hitch, Avalanche bed mat, Aftermarket Fogs mounted in grill, GE Nighthawk bulbs, 2" Rancho Lift, 18" Black Chrome Ruff Racing Wheels, 265/60/R18 Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo II Tires, Pop N Lock (manual), 12" Pioneer Shallow Sub behind rear seat, 300W Eclipse Amp, Polk db650s all around.
zuhl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
ChrisM
2006 RTL
Redrock Pearl / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCity View Post
At least your shop was honest. Most of them would have acted like they rebuilt them and still charged you.
I don't think that they would have been honest if I hadn't told them that I was one of the few people in the world that actually knew what TPMS sensors were and that I knew that service was BS but I would get it anyways because they offered it to me for next to nothing.

ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
Discount Tire
Site Sponsor

The TPMS rebuild kits run around $10.00 per wheel so I would have them double check for the right part number. Most TPMS Sensors have rubber pieces in the stem, which like regular valve stems, dry up and crack. If you do not rebuild your sensors each time you put new tires on, you will eventually develop a slow leak in the stem which can ultimately lead to tire failure.

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price?

Useful Links:
Tire Size Calculator
Current Promotions
Interactive Wheel System
Wheels & Tires 101

Last edited by Discount Tire; 12-29-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Discount Tire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
SteelCity
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discount Tire View Post
you will eventually develop a slow leak in the stem which can ultimately lead to tire failure.
Isn't the entire point of TPMS to let us know when there is low tire pressure so it never gets far enough to lead to tire failure?
SteelCity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
Discount Tire
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCity View Post
Isn't the entire point of TPMS to let us know when there is low tire pressure so it never gets far enough to lead to tire failure?
Absolutley but a slow leak can turn into a blow out very quickly.

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price?

Useful Links:
Tire Size Calculator
Current Promotions
Interactive Wheel System
Wheels & Tires 101
Discount Tire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
larryr
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2009 *Former Ridgeline Owner
White / Beige

If the rubber seal is cracking and leaking - it won't be long until the Lithium Battery in the TPMS will fail - I would not spend 30% of the cost of a new TPMS ( ebay special ) on a rebuild kit ( the battery is not replaceable per the honda shop manual ) Lithium Batteries in a TPMS module should last 7 to 9 years - less in cold northern Canada and hot California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas Desert areas. In real cold or real hot for a long period without a normal temperature return they could fail as soon as a year.

If the rubber seal is cracking it is time to replace - not rebuild the TPMS.

Also if the Schrader valve is replaced it cannot be a regular brass one - it has to be nickle like the one that was there originally. The wrong one can cause false readings.

Also the screw cap cannot be metal - it has to be plastic - the metal ones corrode and cannot be removed.

The picture of the rebuild kit seems to show a metal screw cap.

Here is a link to a $33 new Ridgeline TPMS

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...Q5fAccessories

Here are 4 for $120 new Ridgeline TPMS ( hint they say ok for 2009 - WRONG )
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Orang...Q5fAccessories

The 199 fill ups on my 2009 Ridgeline - I just had 8 wonderful years in the Ridgeline but the Electronics are too many generations behind.

Last edited by larryr; 12-29-2009 at 04:22 PM.
larryr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.