Wow, simply beyond impressed in snow and ice - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
thooks
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

Wow, simply beyond impressed in snow and ice

I know there's an 900-post thread going on about the Ridgeline in Snow/Ice, but lemme condense all of that.

It's simply unbelievable how this vehicle performs in what many would call "un-drivable conditions". I TRIED to slip, slide, do donuts, spin out, whatever- on ice and snow in the past month.

Atlanta, if you haven't seen any national news, got some snow last Thursday, which melted Thursday afternoon and turned into ice-covered roads Friday. This has stuck around until late yesterday. I took one of my co-workers to lunch Friday and I showed him how it was so stable. Lots of times he was grabbing the grab bar, holding on for dear life, but then relaxed and said "WOW". That night, I took the wife out to dinner and we drove through a patch where she said "everybody was sliding"...it was empty that night.

I punched it, got on the ice and slammed on brakes. We stopped, and then I punched it, showing her that it simply bogged down until traction was confirmed and drove on. She was seriously impressed. We get near the house and I take some hills and curves. She said "you're just showing off, now."

Oh, and to the d00d driving on Circle 75 in a silver RL on Thursday at 6pm, sell that truck!! You didn't need to go 10 mph like all those other losers.
thooks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
hiPSI
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2010 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Mocha Metallic

Re: Wow, simply beyond impressed in snow and ice

Glad you enjoyed it. After 500 times in the snow with RL though you just accept it and go on.
ROC #935
hiPSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
chiph
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Steel Blue Metallic

Glad you had fun!

But remember that Mr Physics ultimately wins all arguments about traction.

Chip H.
chiph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
greenRTom
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RTS
Amazon Green / Olive

I know what you're saying. I could hardly make my RL spin out or slide on an ice covered road here in cen. OH. It's got to be one of the safest trucks on the road.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Jack
ROC Rank: Senior
2008 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Ditto! For all the little irs and quirks, the thing is a monster in the snow and ice. I've had people in those big ole Dodge rams and F's comment on it.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
Machog
ROC Rank: Freshman

Isn't it amazing. Last year at this time we had a ton of snow in the Seattle area and the Ridge went where a number of 'regular' 4x4's wouldn't. My neighbor was so impressed he went out and got one!

Its my understanding that even if the Ridgeline goes better in snowy/icy conditions, it won't stop any better.

When it comes to stopping, all ABS equipped vehicles, 4x4 or even 2x stop about the same. Or do I have this wrong, is there something special about the Ridge ABS and/or driving system that makes it stop better.

Machog
Machog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post
Isn't it amazing. Last year at this time we had a ton of snow in the Seattle area and the Ridge went where a number of 'regular' 4x4's wouldn't. My neighbor was so impressed he went out and got one!

Its my understanding that even if the Ridgeline goes better in snowy/icy conditions, it won't stop any better.

When it comes to stopping, all ABS equipped vehicles, 4x4 or even 2x stop about the same. Or do I have this wrong, is there something special about the Ridge ABS and/or driving system that makes it stop better.

Machog
Nope. Physics is physics. The Ridge just seems to go better in the slick stuff than many other vehicles. Stopping is always the problem.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #8
hiPSI
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2010 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Mocha Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post

Machog
If the brakes are properly sized then it's all about the grip of the tires.
ROC #935
hiPSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 07:20 AM   #9
thooks
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

I did slide some on snow/ice in Ohio, but I was flying up on a Stop sign.

The best thing you can do is leave 10x the amount of room you think you need. The ABS will stop you, it just takes longer.

Still, this is an amazing vehicle on ice. Most trucks with 4x4 are out there looking like a 35 year old who has never ice skated on a rink. All you have to do in a Ridgeline is wait until they are out of the way and just go around.
thooks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 09:46 AM   #10
TheDude
ROC Rank: Senior
2008 RTL
Formal Black

I like to say the ridgeline is invincible in the snow.

I have a steep driveway and it hauls ass up it with no slippage whatsoever and when the new subaru I have get's punched up the driveway, there IS SLIPPAGE.

Also, my dad has a disgustingly steep driveway in Vermont and I eat that thing for lunch in the winters and he is jealous because his chevy 2500 diesel doesn't handle it quite as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.