BASICKONCEPTS Bed Cover Review - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Accessories

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-10-2005, 09:37 PM   #1
ridgelinewannabe
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTS
Steel Blue / Gray

BASICKONCEPTS Bed Cover Review

Here is my review of the BasicKoncept Bed Cover that I ordered from http://basickoncepts.com.

The cover is constructed of Marine Plywood sandwiched top and bottom with fiberglass, over which vinly is applied. Some would call it homemade. I prefer to think of it as hand crafted.

The cover took about two hours to install, of which probably 30 minutes was spent removing from the box, and preparing the garage floor and gathering tools. It was a one person job, but two people would have made it easier.

This cover looks great. Several of my enginering buddies at work gave it the once over, and all have complimented it. The vinly is stretched very taught, and provides a nice rich texture. While it may not have the perfected, polished look, of a manufactured cover, it does have a one of a kind "Custom" look to it. I am very proud to wear it on my Ridgeline. It gives it a much smoother flowing look, in the back end. I like how the mounting rails follow the slope of rear of the truck.

I washed the truck last weekend, and had just a few drips of water in the bed when I finished. I would not say it is waterproof, but it is probably as water-tight as the other hard cover's that are out there on the market that cost a lot more.

Becuase of its hardness it offers security of your cargo, assuming that you also purchase and install the Tailgate Lock. I plan to install mine soon. (Review to follow).

It weighs about 60 pounds. By lifting the built in handles, it can be removed with one person. It takes all of two minutes. After removal it can be stowed in the passenger cargo area of the truck if need be. This featue makes it nice, when your caught with the cover on and you need to haul your latest aquisitions that you just picked up at the local auction, flea market, yard sale, home depot, etc.

I have the Honda Bed Extender Accessory and it is still usable with the cover installed.

One of the nicest features, is that it does not interfere with opening of the In-Bed Trunk. It retains it's full range of motion. All you have to do, is fold back the rear panel upon itself.

It does not seem to make any wind noise that I can tell. I am anxious to see how it does with a little snow and ice on it.

For $260.00 plus shipping, it is a very good value. I wouldn't want to try to build it myself, for that amount of money. Once I get the chance I'll post some photos.
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2005, 10:37 PM   #2
zero
Green With Envy Moderator
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Amazon Green / Olive

Send a message via AIM to zero
Re: BASICKONCEPTS Bed Cover Review

Thanks for posting that review. Of course, photos are always appreciated.

I am still up in the air about whether or not I want to get a cover. And then which one?
Old 11-11-2005, 12:14 AM   #3
rms56
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RTL
Redrock Pearl / Gray

Great post RLW. I thought about the value of this product when I decided to purchase.....so its good to know that Brian's desire to produce quality will be worth the wait.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:49 AM   #4
Long Gone

So far, Brian's Concept is at the top of my list. I really need waterproof and so far it sounds like his is the best.
Thank you so much for the review and please post pictures as soon as you are able.
Long Gone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2005, 07:03 AM   #5
brian1972ct
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2006 RTL
Amazon Green / Olive

Great review! How long did it take to be delivered? How exactly is it held down to the rails?
Amazon green, RTL SR/Nav, fog lights, nosemask over 3m clear bra, Vent Shades, Underseat Storage, rear mud flaps, Infinity 6012i speakers, Alpine MRP-F240 amplifier, AudioVox Pro-9800 Alarm/Remote Starter, Retrax, Murdock trunk liners/Bed mat
brian1972ct is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2005, 04:03 PM   #6
ridgelinewannabe
2006 RTS
Steel Blue / Gray

Here are some pics. As I'm sure you will all agree Steel Blue is the best!!

Ladyridge, I wish I could have showed it off in Cleveland...

The rails are pre-drilled in four places. Brian provides two throw away guides, formed out of sheet metal, that position the end of each rail where it needs to be at the tailgate area on both sides. The other end of each rail, goes right up to the top, front tie-down on each side. Self tapping screws are provided, that can be driven in with a cordless drill. Go slow so that you don't strip any. I applied a bead of silicone on the backside of each rail before attaching. The silicon, also makes it easier to work with, by holding the rail steady while drilling. This makes it doable by one person.

I now believe Brian is pre-drilling in 6 places and supplying more screws, to make sure that the rail doesn't go anywhere.

It took me approximately two weeks to get my cover.

Enjoy the pcis!
Attached Images

Last edited by ridgelinewannabe; 11-11-2005 at 04:18 PM.
ridgelinewannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2005, 07:32 PM   #7
brian1972ct
2006 RTL
Amazon Green / Olive

Thanks for the pics! Looks like the handles are on the side so its easy to fold back and forth? Also, how exactly is it held in? I read something about locking pins?
Amazon green, RTL SR/Nav, fog lights, nosemask over 3m clear bra, Vent Shades, Underseat Storage, rear mud flaps, Infinity 6012i speakers, Alpine MRP-F240 amplifier, AudioVox Pro-9800 Alarm/Remote Starter, Retrax, Murdock trunk liners/Bed mat
brian1972ct is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2005, 07:55 PM   #8
Basickoncepts
2006 RTS
Nighthawk Black / Beige

If you look at the pic below you can see the pins. The pins lock it under the rails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1972ct
Thanks for the pics! Looks like the handles are on the side so its easy to fold back and forth? Also, how exactly is it held in? I read something about locking pins?
Attached Images

Basickoncepts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2005, 08:20 PM   #9
Long Gone

Brian....I love it. It's incredibly sturdy looking and the lines are perfect. I'll be contacting you soon as soon as I can convince the boss I should have one more accessory on Ridgena for the winter.

Ridgelinewannabe...I sure wish you could have been there to show off that bed cover. I bet Brian would have made you a salesman. Nice pictures.
Long Gone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2005, 09:52 PM   #10
BassBud
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

ridgelinewannabe,

Thanks for the great post..... great pics and great detail on installation and practical usage! I'm also "steel blue" and am looking hard at this cover.

By the way, I see you are in Louisville. I grew up outside of Lexington and went to grad school at UofL. I just watched part of a football game on TV where UofL was thrashing Rudgers (it was like 45 to 5 with 9 minutes to go in the 4th)! I went to undergrad at UK.... I'm glad that at least one of my teams can win a football game!

Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Accessories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.