Tire replacement question - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

//-->
RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 04-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
bbriscoe
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Tire replacement question

I just bought a Ridgeline with new rear tires but the front tires are almost worn out. Can I replace just the front tires on a RL? I remember that some shops would only replace all 4 at once when I had a 4x4 Chevy, but I don't want to waste the good rear tires.

Also what is the best price out there on RL tires? I have the original wheels on my 06 RTL.
bbriscoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
chiph
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Steel Blue Metallic

Re: Tire replacement question

The Ridgeline is primarily a FWD vehicle, so I'd want the good tires on the front for handling reasons.

Ideally, yes, they should all be replaced as a set. But since the 4WD system is only part-time, you shouldn't have any problems with driveline binding as long as the circumference of the front & rear tires is reasonably close.

Run the new tires on the front wheels (don't rotate) until they wear down to about the same diameter as the rears, then start the usual rotation pattern per the owner's manual. Also make sure the alignment is correct -- if the previous owner only replaced 2 tires, that's an indication that the alignment could have been off.

I have Michelin LTX tires on mine, and I'd give them a "B" tending towards a "B-". Other tires I would consider are the Goodyear Fortera Tripletreds -- they're noisy, but have excellent dry & wet pavement traction (don't know about them off-road - maybe someone else does).

Chip H.
chiph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
Bajan
2006 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

It is recommended that even with a front wheel drive the rear wheels are the ones to be replaced with the newer tires. most tire manufactures recommend this. check with your repair facility.
Bajan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
Jet Pack
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2006 *Not a Ridgeline Owner
Other

If the rears are new then just buy the same size for the fronts.
If the rears are slightly worn you may get away with two new tires but put the new ones in the rear and the "older ones" on the front. Ideally, you want four tires the same circumference.
If you ever buy tires in pairs you should always put the new tires on the rear axle, doesn't matter if it's a front, rear or all wheel drive vehicle.
Jet Pack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
Discount Tire
Site Sponsor

I would recommend contacting your local Discount Tire or America's tire. They would be happy to help you with your tires. If you don't have a Discount Tire or America's tire locally we have an excellent mail order division as well. Discount Tire Direct can be reached at 1.888.459.4080.

For reference check this video out:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTiresRear.dos

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price?

Useful Links:
Tire Calculator
Current Promotions
Interactive Wheel System
Wheels & Tires 101
Discount Tire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
Mrobb98
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Smile Re: Tire replacement question

Hi ROC,
I am considering buying tires from Costco Tire Center for my 2006 RTL. Costco carries the following:
Michelin - LTX A/T2
Michelin - LTX M/S
Michelin - Latitude Tour
LTX A/T2
Most of my driving is in the City but sometime in the forest (Boy Scouts a few times a year). OEM is the LTX M/S, but I am considering the Latitude for better mileage. Any thoughts? They are all within about $10 each in price from Costco.
thanks,
Mike
Mrobb98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.