Catalytic Converter Heat Shield Replacement $560???? - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
shanew
ROC Rank: Freshman

Catalytic Converter Heat Shield Replacement $560????

So I have had a weird screeching sound at around 2000 RPMs on my 2006 Ridgeline. After searching the forum it looked like the problem was related to TSB 07-028 (intermediate shaft heat shield is loose) so I took it to the dealer to get the heat shield replaced. After diagnosing my Ridgeline they are telling me the Catalytic Converter Heat shield rusted and causing the problem. I had both of my catalytic converters replace about a year and half ago, but I guess they didn't replace the catalytic converter heat shield. Now this dealer wants to charge me $560 total to replace a $40 part. Does this sound right or are they gouging me? Is it going to take that labor to remove the exhaust and catalytic converters and replace the heat shield?
shanew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
Skeeter7424
2006 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

Re: Catalytic Converter Heat Shield Replacement $560????

Shane

This all depends on which CC you are talking about. There are front and rear cats (I'm guessing the ones u had replaced) and a lower CC. Also, the shields arent $40 from Honda. I don't have prices in front of me, but I can confirm on what we get for them tomorrow if you would really like. Anyways, the lower CC we get an hour to replace the shields, which is way less that $560...the front or rear ones however, are such a PITA to get out, that actually doesnt sound too unreasonable. However, if it were my vehicle, I would go to an auto parts store and grab a metal hose clamp (the screw types), and put it around the shield and CC. Taking those out is not my idea of a good time , or a good job for that matter in our shop.

Hope this helps you!

...Skeeter...

Any Honda help that you need in the Boston, MA area, please feel free to ask!!
2006 RTS Steel Blue Matallic - Borla exhaust, custom test pipe, intake...blower in the works ...
Skeeter7424 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
chiph
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Steel Blue Metallic

The hose clamp trick is also used in the CR-V community when the heatshield mounting points rust out. Use a stainless-steel clamp.

Chip H.
chiph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
ridgelinematt
ROC Rank: Senior
2009 RTL
Mocha Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiph View Post
The hose clamp trick is also used in the CR-V community when the heatshield mounting points rust out. Use a stainless-steel clamp.

Chip H.
Ditto with my 04' Pilot

09' RTL Mocha w/Black Interior - OEM Air Deflector, Mud Guards, Black Roof Rack, Running Boards,
Torza Hard Hat Premier Tri-Fold Tonneau, Protecta Bed Mat, WeatherTech Black Digimats, Pop & Lock

04' Honda Pilot EX Sagebrush Pearl
02' Mazda Protege5
99' Honda Shadow Ace 1100C2
ridgelinematt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
shanew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter7424 View Post
Shane

This all depends on which CC you are talking about. There are front and rear cats (I'm guessing the ones u had replaced) and a lower CC. Also, the shields arent $40 from Honda. I don't have prices in front of me, but I can confirm on what we get for them tomorrow if you would really like. Anyways, the lower CC we get an hour to replace the shields, which is way less that $560...the front or rear ones however, are such a PITA to get out, that actually doesnt sound too unreasonable. However, if it were my vehicle, I would go to an auto parts store and grab a metal hose clamp (the screw types), and put it around the shield and CC. Taking those out is not my idea of a good time , or a good job for that matter in our shop.

Hope this helps you!

...Skeeter...
Thanks for the information Skeeter. So, the CC heat shields that are a PITA to get to are on the CCs that are mounted up to the Cylinder Heads (I was looking up Honda parts and think I found them)? I put my Ridgeline up on ramps today and looked underneath it and the heat shields on the lower CC looked okay and didn't seem to be loose. So I guess my dealer is talking about either the front or rear CC heat shields. I may look for them tomorrow to see if that is what they are talking about. I am also still concerned that this problem is related to TSB 07-028. If they miss diagnosed it and I still have the problem $560 later I am going to be very annoyed. Also, how would I use the hose clamp on the front or rear CC? I can't imagine that I will even be able to get to it.
shanew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.