Recommended oil - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Dear Honda: (Feedback Forum)

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
famaro
ROC Rank: Freshman
2008 RT
Steel Blue Metallic

Recommended oil

While my 2008 Ridgeline was under warranty I took it to the Honda Service Department in San Juan, Puerto Rico to perform the maintenance, but it was not until now that I noticed that they were using 10W-30 instead of the recommended in the manual 5W-20. I want to know if it is right and/or safe of the a Service Department to do that. NOT FOLLOWING THE MANUAL. I called my Service Dept. and they told me that they are using the recommended by Honda but when I call Honda of America they told me to follow the owner's manual. Which one is lying? Or are there other authorized recommended oil in Puerto Rico? Right now I'm at 40K miles on my unit (just passed warranty coverage) and I want to know who is going to held responsible if there is a problem associated to that? What am I going to do, follow the recommendations of Honda and the manual or the local Service Dept? It is safe to switch back to 5W-20? I understand it is supposed to be safe due to the mileage of the unit. What do you guys think?
famaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
larryr
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2009 *Former Ridgeline Owner
White / Beige

Re: Recommended oil

Most of us use Mobil One 5w20 - any 5w20 is the right oil. 10w20 or 10w30 will work but give you poor gas mileage - the engine was designed for 5w20. I would switch to it as soon as possible.

If you look at the oil filler cap it clearly states 5w20.

The 199 fill ups on my 2009 Ridgeline - I just had 8 wonderful years in the Ridgeline but the Electronics are too many generations behind.

larryr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
famaro
2008 RT
Steel Blue Metallic

That is what I think I'm going to do. TNX
famaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

5w20 is what you should use. I used 10w30 in a ford suv with 100k miles, I could hear and feel the difference in the engine, when I put the correct weight (5w30) it ran way smoother and the engine was quieter.
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by famaro View Post
That is what I think I'm going to do. TNX
Bring your own, you can even buy filters in bulk, and bring those too. They should be willing to give you a discount on the service each time you do.

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
Dekonick
ROC Rank: Junior
2010 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinhonda View Post
Bring your own, you can even buy filters in bulk, and bring those too. They should be willing to give you a discount on the service each time you do.
That is what I have done with our Honda Ody. I like knowing my car has always had mobil 1.

Now - what about the 0w20 oil? My dealer has it for sale...

AND what about the $7 a quart synthetic oil for extended use?

does using any of the above void warranty?
Dekonick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
HONDAFAN123456

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryr View Post
Most of us use Mobil One 5w20 - any 5w20 is the right oil. 10w20 or 10w30 will work but give you poor gas mileage - the engine was designed for 5w20. I would switch to it as soon as possible.

If you look at the oil filler cap it clearly states 5w20.
This information is correct. The engine was built to use 5w20 engine oil, but using a 5w30, 10w30 etc. will not harm your engine, but give you less performance, fuel economy etc. I have been using Royal Mfg brand for the past 3 years and have excellent results with the product. I have been using their full synthetic 5w20 (Monarch Synlube 5w20) in my 2010 Honda Ridge line. Check them out on their website at www.royalmfg.com
HONDAFAN123456 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
Ourfarm09
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2011 RTS
Bali Blue Pearl

The site says, " Meets requirements of API Services SH/CD, which replaces SG/CD, SF/CC and MIL-L-2104B"

But is it API certified?

AVS ventvisors, ROC decal,
Ourfarm09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
JimKden
2007 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourfarm09 View Post
The site says, " Meets requirements of API Services SH/CD, which replaces SG/CD, SF/CC and MIL-L-2104B"

But is it API certified?
I think you mean API Liscensed. API Liscensed simply means the brand has the same additive package and base stock as any other garden variety API Liscensed oils. It's an industry gimic to get you to think the oil has some magical properties, but is only so as to get mfrs to list that as a requirement and oil companies do not have to test their oils to be able to label as API Liscensed oils (it cheapens up the cost of producing an oil)
The better oils use their own additive package because they don't want to stoop that low. But they have to spend cash on expensive API tests to apply the API classification for the oil.

Last edited by JimKden; 12-31-2013 at 07:45 PM.
JimKden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
csimo
Administrator
2014 SE
White/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKden View Post
I think you mean API Liscensed. API Liscensed simply means the brand has the same additive package and base stock as any other garden variety API Liscensed oils. It's an industry gimic to get you to think the oil has some magical properties, but is only so as to get mfrs to list that as a requirement and oil companies do not have to test their oils to be able to label as API Liscensed oils (it cheapens up the cost of producing an oil)
The better oils use their own additive package because they don't want to stoop that low. But they have to spend cash on expensive API tests to apply the API classification for the oil.
The correct term is "API Certified" and Honda requires owners to use API Certified oil as a condition of the warranty.

I don't know of anyone that has said API Certified oil has any "magical properties", but I sure know that some snake oil non-API Certified oil manufactures absolutely make wild claims and imply magical properties.

Using an API Certified oil means that the product is certified to meet the minimum requirements for your engine health. The certification doesn't prevent an engine oil from exceeding the specifications... in other words a super premium synthetic oil would not be disqualified from being API Certified.

There are some oil companies that would have you believe they know more about what an engine requires than the people that actually designed and engineered the engine. As long as there are enough people out there to foolishly believe such outlandish claims they'll keep making the stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Dear Honda: (Feedback Forum)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.