My loading ramps - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Racks, Hitches & Towing

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
bikerbudmatt
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Post My loading ramps (photos)

Thanks to several scattered threads (because it's hard to tell whether this item is an "accessory" or part of the "racks, hitches & towing" category) I got a lot of great information from ROC posters and found the pair of loading ramps that will work for me.

I got these from R.A.M.P.S. Inc., which carries a series of aluminum ramps for differing needs. I was looking for a relatively lightweight, compact ramp that could handle up to 1,000 pounds. (After manually unloading and loading a hydraulic posthole digger last month, there's no way I want to do something like that again, on safety grounds!)

I chose a "7.5 ft. plated arch" ramp, which will do well for any maintenance machines I need to get in and out of the bed. I liked the plated surface, which I think will be more useful with small wheels. And I particularly liked the light weight (16 pounds each) and small length when folded (3.25 feet long). The price was also right, and they offer free shipping (which although it was UPS ground, took only about four working days to my house).

Here's some photos of my ramps on and near the Red Ridge:

Out of the box. I have already attached the safety straps.

This shows a length comparison between folded and unfolded.

Here is one of the ramps, showing the black safety strap attached about two-thirds of the way up the ramp as the manufacturer recommends.

The manufacturer's label showing loading specifications.

Each ramp rests on the "top" of the tailgate on the aluminum extensions, which are capped with red plastic. Two things about the welds: Although the corner appears to be digging into my baby's plastic tailgate cap, it's actually smoothed out and it left no damage. And, you could think of the welds as either really rough-looking, or really reassuring because you can see them!

What I will use as an attachment point. Note that this is the FIRST safe attachment point forward of the bumper. There is what looks to be another, more logical one, but you'll find it's made of molded plastic.

Pretty close to the exhaust and muffler. But of course you're not operating the truck while these ramps are in place.

Here is the pair of ramps with safety straps installed. The buckle part of the strap is about 12 inches long and has a sewn in loop, so it attaches easily at the ramp end. The buckle has clear markings to show where the free end should be inserted. Nice touch!

Here is a side view of the installed ramps. Good look at the arching angle.

And a three-quarter view…

…and a straight-on rear view. I think the posthole digger might still be a challenge on weight grounds, but I don't anticipate any trouble with the snowblower, and smaller wheeled machines should be a breeze.

Once your machine is loaded, you have options for carrying along the ramps. Here is the pair, tucked into the front of the bed.

They also fit quite nicely in the cab. I did not try it with the seats down, but I think a single ramp would fit fine there.

I'm pleased with how easily these set up and store, and I feel I've added to the utility of my truck with this ramp set. Although the welds could look a little prettier, the price more than makes up for that detail.
2010 Ridgeline RTL, BakFlip G2 cover, USA Spec iPod interface, Lund AVS Vent Visors from Burtman Industries, Lund AVS Hood Deflector from Tonneau Covers World and how to install, plated arch folding ramps from AllRamps, and a ROC Decal (white) (here)

Are you paying the dealer beaucoup $$'s to change your cabin air filter? Check out this all-time great thread!

Last edited by bikerbudmatt; 09-24-2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: clarify title
bikerbudmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
H2O Buffalo
ROC Rank: Freshman
2011 RTL
Polished Metal Metallic

Re: My loading ramps

Nearly identical foldable ramps are also available at Lowes. I actually have four -- strapped together and strapped to the tow hitch chain holes makes a large and secure full width ramp. I frequently transport motorcycles, and when I have just a single bike to take, I use the bed of the truck. These ramps make it a snap. Good thread, bikerbudmatt!

2007 RTX Dark Cherry
2011 RTL Polished Metallic
1973 CB350F Candy Bacchus Olive
1975 CB360 Red
1976 CB360 Blue
1981 CB750 Black
1983 CB1100F Candy Pearl Kapiolani Blue
2003 ST1100P The White Rabbit
Two Honda Mowers
And, a Honda Emergency Generator. In a pear tree.
H2O Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
bikerbudmatt
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Thanks, H2O. I think there are some topics that seem like they are common knowledge, but really aren't. Ramps is one of them, because for most vehicles they aren't even a possibility, and for larger vehicles like box trucks they are most often built in. (Ambulances, of course, are a special case.)

I had to patch together information from several threads to understand what was involved for my RL.

Your application seems more "wieldy" than a wide motorcycle ramp that folds lengthwise. Good show!
2010 Ridgeline RTL, BakFlip G2 cover, USA Spec iPod interface, Lund AVS Vent Visors from Burtman Industries, Lund AVS Hood Deflector from Tonneau Covers World and how to install, plated arch folding ramps from AllRamps, and a ROC Decal (white) (here)

Are you paying the dealer beaucoup $$'s to change your cabin air filter? Check out this all-time great thread!

Old 09-25-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
H2O Buffalo
2011 RTL
Polished Metal Metallic

You are quite correct; they are more 'wieldy', but it's worth it to mo for the flexibility. There are occasions that I only need a single ramp, or two. And, I can loan two of them to my brother-in-law (who now owns my 2007 RTX) when he needs them without shorting myself.

And, you're right in that there are some topics that are 'obvious' -- but only after someone thinks of them first. Good show!

2007 RTX Dark Cherry
2011 RTL Polished Metallic
1973 CB350F Candy Bacchus Olive
1975 CB360 Red
1976 CB360 Blue
1981 CB750 Black
1983 CB1100F Candy Pearl Kapiolani Blue
2003 ST1100P The White Rabbit
Two Honda Mowers
And, a Honda Emergency Generator. In a pear tree.
H2O Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
ccmath
2006 RT
Steel Blue Metallic

Question Re: My loading ramps

Good to see this old thread here -- I have been looking for folding ramps for a while. If you mount your ramps side by side, can you load a dolly that's about 20'' wide on it? I am thinking of getting a pair like yours for moving furniture/appliances, etc. I also have a light motorcycle that I can use the ramp to load as well.

Thanks!
ccmath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
bikerbudmatt
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmath View Post
Good to see this old thread here -- I have been looking for folding ramps for a while. If you mount your ramps side by side, can you load a dolly that's about 20'' wide on it? I am thinking of getting a pair like yours for moving furniture/appliances, etc. I also have a light motorcycle that I can use the ramp to load as well.

Thanks!
I don't see any issue with that. You mount the ramps as close or as far apart as you'd like, and I believe the lip on each edge is just enough to keep a wheel from sliding off the side (with some care from the operator, of course!) without interfering with the axle on a dolly. The key is to make sure you strap each ramp tightly. A loose ramp will cause all kinds of havoc, and possibly slip right off the tailgate along with your appliance. (See H2O Buffalo's entry, #2, about four ramps. My comment about "wieldy" means that I think his setup is more versatile and flexible than a single wide ramp.)

Good luck, and post back with what you actually do, whether it's this or something else.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
kevin_stevens
2008 RTS
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmath View Post

Thanks!
You have to be sure that any lip on the edge of your ramp is not higher than the axle of your dolly.

KeS
kevin_stevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
Uconn411

Have you had any trouble loading / unloading a snowblower? Just wondering how slippery those ramps are with snow/slush. I have a pair of ladder style loading ramps that are very slippery...
Uconn411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
bikerbudmatt
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn411 View Post
Have you had any trouble loading / unloading a snowblower? Just wondering how slippery those ramps are with snow/slush. I have a pair of ladder style loading ramps that are very slippery...
I loaded dry (for getting to the repair shop and back) with no problem. A little tricky keeping the wheel clutches disengaged because they end up so high off the ground as the blower goes up the ramp.

If you were running a snowblower around to do contract clearing (say), I would think this would not be the best way to do it. I have a hard time imagining all the fun it would be to get under the Ridge four times (two each for setting up and taking down the ramps) in the snow/slush/mud each time a blower needed to be unloaded and packed up again. If it's part of a crew effort, better to have two strong guys lift the machine in and out.

And yeah, the slippery factor would apply provided you went ahead and tried it anyway.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
kevin_stevens
2008 RTS
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbudmatt View Post
I loaded dry (for getting to the repair shop and back) with no problem. A little tricky keeping the wheel clutches disengaged because they end up so high off the ground as the blower goes up the ramp.

If you were running a snowblower around to do contract clearing (say), I would think this would not be the best way to do it. I have a hard time imagining all the fun it would be to get under the Ridge four times (two each for setting up and taking down the ramps) in the snow/slush/mud each time a blower needed to be unloaded and packed up again. If it's part of a crew effort, better to have two strong guys lift the machine in and out.

And yeah, the slippery factor would apply provided you went ahead and tried it anyway.
Maybe one of those hitch-mounted platforms, depending on how big/heavy the blower is. Or a 4x4 tilting trailer, depending on how deep the snow is.

KeS
kevin_stevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Racks, Hitches & Towing

Tags
loading , machines , utility ramps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.