Help with idle on Craftsman snowblower - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > ROC Member Central > The Ridge - Off-Topic Discussions

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
MooseMan
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTS
Alabaster Silver Metallic

Help with idle on Craftsman snowblower

Hey backyard motorheads...

I have this Craftsman snowblower I got from a neighbor moving out. Model 247.888160. Works fine, except the idle is terrible. Revs up and down at any throttle preset. Engine speed normalizes and runs fine when under load (auger engaged and throwing snow). Here's a video so you can hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWZQMjoMGI4

Any suggestions?

I live at ~7500 feet. Wouldn't expect altitude to be causing this sort of flux.

Thanks!

Old 01-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
Goodview
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 *Not a Ridgeline Owner
Other

Re: Help with idle on Craftsman snowblower

Most motors that size are governed by a 'wind vane' that connects by a spring to the throttle. If somebody has gotten some lube on the shaft of the vane, or if the spring is just dragging against something, the idle will go wild. It's probably a Tecumseh, but the throttle part is much the same on Briggs & Scrapiron. My Craftsman about 24 years old and was owned by a guy who claimed he only blew snow on Sunday.

Yeah, I know.....

If a visual proves the spring is OK (don't stretch it) six or so screws and the blower cover is off, then remove the little shaft and clean it as well by running a Q-tip through the plastic vane's hole. Use WD-40 as a solvent or maybe just alcohol cuz it should be un-lubricated when you're done. Use a heavy toothbrush, air hose and various poking tools (bicycle spoke) to clean out any oily debris that's down in between the engine's cooling vanes.

Goodview is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
MooseMan
2006 RTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodview View Post
Most motors that size are governed by a 'wind vane' that connects by a spring to the throttle. If somebody has gotten some lube on the shaft of the vane, or if the spring is just dragging against something, the idle will go wild. It's probably a Tecumseh, but the throttle part is much the same on Briggs & Scrapiron. My Craftsman about 24 years old and was owned by a guy who claimed he only blew snow on Sunday.

Yeah, I know.....

If a visual proves the spring is OK (don't stretch it) six or so screws and the blower cover is off, then remove the little shaft and clean it as well by running a Q-tip through the plastic vane's hole. Use WD-40 as a solvent or maybe just alcohol cuz it should be un-lubricated when you're done. Use a heavy toothbrush, air hose and various poking tools (bicycle spoke) to clean out any oily debris that's down in between the engine's cooling vanes.

Thanks! I will look into that.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
MooseMan
2006 RTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodview View Post
OK. I've located the spring, which looks to be in decent condition. So assuming you are correct and that the vane is in need of cleaning. When you say take the blower cover off, do you mean the flywheel cover where the pull-start is attached? Or are you referring to something else?

Here's what I'm looking at

Old 01-15-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
qlake
ROC Rank: Junior
2007 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

That is a very common issue with the Tecumseh engines. Under a load they usually work well. Live with it or try replacing the carburetor.
qlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Ourfarm09
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2011 RTS
Bali Blue Pearl

If the above suggestions don't work, try some stabil in your fuel. Ethanol really messes with small engines.

AVS ventvisors, ROC decal,
Ourfarm09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
bikerbudmatt
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

I notice that kind of fluctuation on idle with my Craftsman (looks pretty much identical to the one in the video; purchased 2003), but not to that degree and only for a minute or so while warming up. And the issue disappears under load. Once it's warm, the idle is steady as a rock.

I would endorse the Stabil suggestion. Maybe a 1/4-ounce in the tank with a fill-up. It's a good idea to have your fuel Stabil-ed in the gas can anyway.
2010 Ridgeline RTL, BakFlip G2 cover, USA Spec iPod interface, Lund AVS Vent Visors from Burtman Industries, Lund AVS Hood Deflector from Tonneau Covers World and how to install, plated arch folding ramps from AllRamps, and a ROC Decal (white) (here)

Are you paying the dealer beaucoup $$'s to change your cabin air filter? Check out this all-time great thread!

bikerbudmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
MooseMan
2006 RTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbudmatt View Post
I notice that kind of fluctuation on idle with my Craftsman (looks pretty much identical to the one in the video; purchased 2003), but not to that degree and only for a minute or so while warming up. And the issue disappears under load. Once it's warm, the idle is steady as a rock.

I would endorse the Stabil suggestion. Maybe a 1/4-ounce in the tank with a fill-up. It's a good idea to have your fuel Stabil-ed in the gas can anyway.
Good advice all around. I'll throw some of that in there... I've also put some (sea-foam?) through. But am going to try and locate the vane. Not that it really matters, the darn thing works. But it's the principal of the matter!!!

While I'm in there it's half tempting to tweak the arm that connects the carb and get a few more RPM's out of the thing for those big snowfalls. Got to be careful, but hey that's what the Amsoil is for, right?
Old 01-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
07inny
ROC Rank: Junior
2007 RTS
Aberdeen Green Metallic

Send a message via AIM to 07inny

It could also be a clog in one of the jets in the carb. If you can remove the carb and take the bowl off of the bottom and take a paper clip or a pin and try to clean them out. Also try some carb cleaner and blow some air through them. That might work also.... Good Luck
2007 Pilot EX Bought New 11/14/06
My Toy
1986 300 ZX 2+2GLL 54000 Original Miles Fair Weather Car
07inny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #10
Goodview
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 *Not a Ridgeline Owner
Other

After seeing the photo, I think yours has the governor inside the crankcase, not it the air stream.

I can spot the lever on the right side of your float bowl, which loads the spring. If you're low on oil you may have the same idle problem.

Goodview is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > ROC Member Central > The Ridge - Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.