VTM4 Fluid Alternative? - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 02-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
FirstShirt
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

VTM4 Fluid Alternative?

The Army has brought me to the beautiful country of South Korea, and I brought the Ridge with me. I recently replaced the VTM4 Fluid which I purchased at the local Honda dealer for the sweet sum of just under $100.00! Yes, that's right. The local dealer charged me just under $100.00 for one gallon of VTM4 fluid. I thought I was buying liquid gold, but it was just the regular VTM4 fluid.

What are my alternatives to being gouged by this Honda dealer? I have vowed never to go back as I see no reason to pay for his nice new BMW. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
csimo
Administrator
2014 SE
White/Black

Re: VTM4 Fluid Alternative?

Sorry, but there is no alternative fluid.

All content i publish is Copyright © at the time and date published by Joe Wolf. Opinion is not subject to Copyright.
csimo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
Jet Pack
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2006 *Not a Ridgeline Owner
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstShirt View Post
The Army has brought me to the beautiful country of South Korea, and I brought the Ridge with me. I recently replaced the VTM4 Fluid which I purchased at the local Honda dealer for the sweet sum of just under $100.00! Yes, that's right. The local dealer charged me just under $100.00 for one gallon of VTM4 fluid. I thought I was buying liquid gold, but it was just the regular VTM4 fluid.

What are my alternatives to being gouged by this Honda dealer? I have vowed never to go back as I see no reason to pay for his nice new BMW. Any help is greatly appreciated.
How much would it cost for shipping from US to SK?
Either way, you're paying for somebody's new BMW.
Jet Pack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
MikeT
Mall Ninja Moderator
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Talk to a supply Sargent and have them fly some over for you.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #5
bikerbudmatt
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Are you doing a lot of miles? If not, you may not need to do this again until you are out of SK and away from that dealer. If on the other hand you're going through that much of it…I'm not sure what the ins and outs of FPO mail are in terms of shipping stuff like fluids, but if it's a possibility, you can plan ahead. $100 seems excessive, no doubt.
2010 Ridgeline RTL, BakFlip G2 cover, USA Spec iPod interface, Lund AVS Vent Visors from Burtman Industries, Lund AVS Hood Deflector from Tonneau Covers World and how to install, plated arch folding ramps from AllRamps, and a ROC Decal (white) (here)

Are you paying the dealer beaucoup $$'s to change your cabin air filter? Check out this all-time great thread!

bikerbudmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #6
hawaiianpool
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2010 RTS
Polished Metal Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstShirt View Post

wow that's a ton. You can try this out. Idemitsu Lubricants (the one and only mfgr of VTM-4 and ATFZ1) has a location in Seoul you should be able to find them on google.
Go Army
Old 02-14-2011, 06:53 AM   #7
chiph
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Steel Blue Metallic

I'm surprised you could take a POV to Korea. Back in the mid-80's it was an unaccompanied tour (no car, no spouse).

Not sure if the APO/FPO system will let you ship fluids through them, but can't hurt to try.

Chip H.
chiph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
Ourfarm09
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2011 RTS
Bali Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiph View Post
I'm surprised you could take a POV to Korea. Back in the mid-80's it was an unaccompanied tour (no car, no spouse).

Not sure if the APO/FPO system will let you ship fluids through them, but can't hurt to try.

Chip H.
I was stationed in Korea from Aug 97- Aug 99 and you couldn't take your POV. But I find it odd that nothing else will work or is good for the VTM, Talk about cornering the market.

AVS ventvisors, ROC decal,
Ourfarm09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourfarm09 View Post
I was stationed in Korea from Aug 97- Aug 99 and you couldn't take your POV. But I find it odd that nothing else will work or is good for the VTM, Talk about cornering the market.
The Honda VTM is not like any other differential. That's why it does not use conventional differential fluid. It has been that way since it's inception some 10 years ago.
Since only a few models of Honda use it (MDX, Ridgeline, Pilot) there is not likely a lot of incentive for other mfg. to come out with an equivalent fluid.

Actually, to a large extent this is true for the transmission fluid used on all Honda automatics (Z1) although there are a couple of universal synthetics out there that claim to be equivalent.

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
tigertom1965
ROC Rank: Junior
2007 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

This was off of H and A Accessories web page.

"We are not able to export any of the items. Honda restricts the export of any US market parts and accessories."

So they won't ship APO/FPO.

I would try Honda America and see if there is an alternative source for the fluid. I would guess you will need the Honda tranny fluid as well.
tigertom1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.