Floor Jack Lift Points - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

//-->
RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
eh0013
ROC Rank: Freshman
2008 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

Floor Jack Lift Points

Searched high and low but could not find definitive answers and/or pictures. I just bought a new floor jack and a pair of jack stands as I was hoping to rotate tires myself. I know of the central jack points but also read that since I intend to raise only one side (left or right) at a time, it wouldn't be a good idea to centrally lift the truck and then lower it with only one jack stand in place - frame torsion etc. (and please, I don't intend to buy a second set of stands). So here's the question - where do I position the floor jack saddle for the front and the rear. I intend to position the jack stands (not the floor jack) right on the oem jack points. Thank you so much for any help. If it's not too much to ask, pictures would be helpful; "A-frames" and "subframes" are not in my vocabulary. If pictures aren't available, a 6th-grade level description might suffice. Thanks again!
eh0013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
e_piph_a_ny
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Re: Floor Jack Lift Points

Check these posts.

Definitive aftermarket jack solution?

Pics of the jack points

e_piph_a_ny is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
eh0013
2008 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_piph_a_ny View Post
I've read both and in fact, this was how I know where that central lift points are. Thanks for posting though but unfortunately, I think I need more help. Using the floor jack at the OEM lifting points will not give me room for the jack stands. An important detail is that I will be raising the vehicle only one side at a time.

Last edited by eh0013; 02-21-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
Lingered_I
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

I don't think there is a good answer. Look at this picture:

http://www.vtec.net/articles/article...ge_tov-030.jpg

Looking at the left side you can see the frame rail, so there is the possibility of jacking there provided you use something to spread the load along the rail. However, the right hand side has some cables crossing it so the same solution won't work. Working out to the edges of the vehicle, the area between the jacking point is unhindered on both sides, so that's also a possibility provided you spread the load as wide as you can. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable with that solution.

You mention frame torsion as a concern with jacking the center (say at the front) and putting one stand under the front oem jack point, and then repeating the same with the rear. If you lower the vehicle very slowly onto the jack stand, I wouldn't imagine the torsion to be much different to jacking there in the first place.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

One option (not necessarily the best one) is to use the central jack point and lift either the entire front or entire rear of the RL and put one jackstand on either side. Lower the vehicle onto the j/s so that either the front or the rear wheels are off the ground. Move the floor jack to the other central jack point and jack it up to get all 4 wheels off the ground. I used to do this before I bought enough j/s to go all around. My floor jack has a very slow leak down, if at all, so it worked ok for this quick job.

The best thing to do is get 4 j/s total so you don't have to depend on the floor jack to both lift and support the vehicle while you rotate the tires. This is what I do now. Make sure your jack stands have enough lift to allow for the suspension. You'll also need 4 j/s when you bleed/change the brakes too.

I definitely would *not* want to be under the vehicle if supported only by the floor jack.

Pics of all the jack points, side and central are in that linked thread above.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
eh0013
2008 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

Lingered_I, thanks for the photo and the reply....a part of me did not really buy the "torsion" argument knowing that one corner is oftentimes lifted while the others are not. Fortunately, I do have a jack that can lower very slowly so I think your idea might work. Speedlever, thanks for your reply as well. A reason other than me not wanting to spend for a second pair of j/s is that somewhere in the safety literature of my craftsman j/s it stated that only one pair of j/s should be used at a time, keeping a pair of wheels on the ground at all times. I realize that people, e.g., youtube and forums, do the 4 jackstands all the time but that seems a little hairy for my liking. Again, I will say I haven't done this so all this is just gut and assumptions on my part. One last thing, I surfed other forums as I google this topic and it seems it is a common question for other vehicle owners and the definitive answer is quite elusive. I was hoping that someone out there had an answer to the one-side-at-a-time tire rotation using a floor jack.

Last edited by eh0013; 02-21-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
silveridge
ROC Rank: Junior
2007 RTX
Billet Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eh0013 View Post
Using the floor jack at the OEM lifting points will not give me room for the jack stands.
Consider getting a floor jack with a higher lift capability to allow you to use the fore and aft center jack points for tire rotation. I've got a Torin 3-Ton SUV Service Jack with a 'high height' of 20-7/8 inches that lifts either end of the RL sufficiently to allow jack stands to be placed under the 'normal' jack locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eh0013 View Post
An important detail is that I will be raising the vehicle only one side at a time.
If you find some way to do this, I don't think it would be as safe as lifting one end at a time.
silveridge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #8
schwejo
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

its not a safe situation to use jack stands on one side of any vehicle. The bases of most jack stands are not wide enough to provide a stable situation with flexibility of most tire sidewalls, and the saddle of the jackstand can shift when the vehicle lift point is at an angle as would be if you only lift one side.

Personally I use a piece of stout 2x6 on the lift cup of my floor jack and lift at the lower cross member, the heavy cast or forged piece. The the piece of wood bites into the jack and the cross member and provides a very stable lift. Then I use another sissor jack that I have on the rear side lift point, but you could use the oem jack as much as I dislike that thing.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
allmotormike
2006 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

When I rotate my tires I'll use a 2X4 or 4X4 piece of wood on my floor jack and jack it up in the center of the RL on the frame rails. (careful to watch for the wires on one side) then use the jack stands on the corner pinch welds. I've been doing this on all my honda's for many years and is safe as long as you do this on a level area.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:44 AM   #10
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

I am not aware of any safety issue using 4 j/s at the pinch weld lift points. What is the reason?

I have also used a 2x4 or similar on the floor jack saddle and lifted one side or the other via the frame rails. No issues with that either. But there are times when you need all 4 wheels off the ground... or at least it's much more convenient when you can do so. Brake bleeding and pad changing comes to mind.

Also, if I'm doing a B136, I like to get all 4 wheels off the ground. That provides a pretty level stance for fluid draining and gives me more room to get to the transfer assembly drain and refill plugs and makes rotating the tires easier. The down side is that draining fluid tends to splash more.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.