Pimp Your Factory Sound In 15 minutes - Page 62 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 04-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #611
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

Re: Pimp Your Factory Sound In 15 minutes

That's right. Any brand under $60.00 either JBL infinity is a guaranteed fit without cutting the grill. There is a new set of JBL 4 ohm tweeters on Amazon for like under $30.00 that should be a good set.
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #612
purt
ROC Rank: Freshman
2013 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

I just installed a set of the Infinity 1031t tweeters.
After only listening for a couple minutes in the garage, they sound really good. Quite an improvement over the cheapo chinese oem ones

Took me a bit longer than 15 minutes though

I used one of the included mounting rings and used electrical tape to secure it to the grill. Seemed pretty secure.

Thanks to all in this thread for all the help and suggestions.

purt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #613
RockyMtnRoc
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

I have what I expect to be a quick question for the veterans here. Is the general consensus that 4ohm tweeters are ok? I have my eye on some Polk db1001s since I liked how my old db651s sounded. I just want to make sure that they'll match in fine and not have an affect on the new head unit. Or should I be looking at 2ohm tweeters? And are there any significant pitfalls to using the Polks? And finally, if so, what is another solid recommendation for cheap? I do see the JBLs and Infinity come up a lot. Since they're the same company is there a real difference between them in terms of sound? I'm just trying to think ahead in the event that I upgrade the front speakers to Polks as well.

Thanks!
RockyMtnRoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #614
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnRoc View Post
I have what I expect to be a quick question for the veterans here. Is the general consensus that 4ohm tweeters are ok? I have my eye on some Polk db1001s since I liked how my old db651s sounded. I just want to make sure that they'll match in fine and not have an affect on the new head unit. Or should I be looking at 2ohm tweeters? And are there any significant pitfalls to using the Polks? And finally, if so, what is another solid recommendation for cheap? I do see the JBLs and Infinity come up a lot. Since they're the same company is there a real difference between them in terms of sound? I'm just trying to think ahead in the event that I upgrade the front speakers to Polks as well.

Thanks!
You will be just fine with the Polks. One of the only reasons that Infinity and some other manufacturers make their speakers 2 ohm is to mate in with factory audio systems. Obviously, factory head units are not as powerful as aftermarket ones and factory audio systems do not typically have any high-power amplifiers. Basically, by using a 2 ohm speaker, there is less resistance which means higher power handling which means the speaker will play a little louder than a 4 ohm speaker with the same power input. If you were ONLY going to replace your tweeters and not do anything else to your audio system, I would recommend the Infinity's. Being that you said you wanted to upgrade your speakers and possibly even your head unit at some point, I would recommend the Polks. Plus, I very much like the sound of Polk speakers over nearly any other brand. They use soft silk dome tweeters which provides very smooth and mellow highs without being too harsh. Whatever you decide to do, it will be light years better than the stock tweeters that are pretty much just there for show.
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #615
laserguy
2006 RTL
Other

The only issue with the Polk tweeters is having to be top mounted cutting the factory grill.

Either Polk or some fresh jbl will bring pretty much the same, if money is an issue get the jbl gto10T at half the price. If you want a set that will blow pretty much any set you compare it to except some in the $200 and up range, get the JBL P26T. Both 4 ohms, you can match them with either a 2 ohm coax or 4 ohm coax. Both will fit, no cutting and it would be easier and faster. The thing you may not want to do is get 2ohm coax and 2ohm tweeters. You can 2 ohm tweeters and 4 ohm coax, it is the bass driver that can risk the load and overheat on the HU amp.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #616
RockyMtnRoc
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Ok Laserguy, you talked me into it. I pulled the trigger on the JBL p26t. Shipping today. And because I like to torture myself, is there really a significant difference between these and the Infinity 1031ts? They were about $20 more. Just wondering if they're really that much better. (And yes, of course I pay attention to that AFTER I submitted the order). It's through Amazon, so they can always go back easy enough!

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #617
laserguy
2006 RTL
Other

Quote:
Ok Laserguy, you talked me into it. I pulled the trigger on the JBL p26t. Shipping today. And because I like to torture myself, is there really a significant difference between these and the Infinity 1031ts? They were about $20 more. Just wondering if they're really that much better. (And yes, of course I pay attention to that AFTER I submitted the order). It's through Amazon, so they can always go back easy enough!

Thanks!
Sure, 3 significant differences maybe 4

1. the crossover, it is a real crossover not just a capacitor.
2. smother sound with textile dome tweeter
3. 94 db sensitivity, higher spl
4. Possible better resale value
Old 05-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #618
RockyMtnRoc
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Laserguy,

Based on what I've found, I knew about one and three. Sorry, I should have mentioned that. I thought they were also both textile domes, so I guess what I'm saying is if the sound is really that much better in one vs the other? I know it's subjective, to be sure. I didn't know if anyone had experienced both. Honestly, I'm sure I'd have been happy with either. I do like that the JBLs have a sensitivity switch and a real crossover though. They'll be driven by a JVC hu with 20 watts rms and 50 max. On that side, I know that they're more sensitive, but according to JBL, they're either 4 or 6 ohms. I'm honestly not sure which, since they have it listed differently in different places on their site. You'd think they'd make sure that stuff was right....

Anyway, assuming they're 6 and 94db....how does that compare to 2 ohms and 92 for the Infinity in terms of effeciency? That part is mostly for my own curiosity because I'm a numbers junky.

The knowledge floating around this thread is amazing. You're a great group of guys and glad to be in the club!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #619
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Unless you actually have both of them hooked up side by side, there is no point in trying to compare them. As you said, it's all subjective. Both have pros and cons but the ones you bought are better quality IMO. No matter what their ohm rating, they will provide great sound for you and will only get better as they are broken in. Don't let buyers remorse hit you. The extra $20 was worth it!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #620
laserguy
2006 RTL
Other

Quote:
Laserguy,

Based on what I've found, I knew about one and three. Sorry, I should have mentioned that. I thought they were also both textile domes, so I guess what I'm saying is if the sound is really that much better in one vs the other? I know it's subjective, to be sure. I didn't know if anyone had experienced both. Honestly, I'm sure I'd have been happy with either. I do like that the JBLs have a sensitivity switch and a real crossover though. They'll be driven by a JVC hu with 20 watts rms and 50 max. On that side, I know that they're more sensitive, but according to JBL, they're either 4 or 6 ohms. I'm honestly not sure which, since they have it listed differently in different places on their site. You'd think they'd make sure that stuff was right....

Anyway, assuming they're 6 and 94db....how does that compare to 2 ohms and 92 for the Infinity in terms of effeciency? That part is mostly for my own curiosity because I'm a numbers junky.

The knowledge floating around this thread is amazing. You're a great group of guys and glad to be in the club!
A 2 ohm load can bring distortion faster for both amp and drivers at loud levels. I prefer a higher sensitivity spec with an easy load, although there might not be huge differences.

I agree with Ian about the buyers remorse and the higher quality you are getting, .

Those tweeters are part of a $300.00 retail component set. They are designed to handle more power and to be driven at louder levels if you decide to expand or give them more power.

There are rumors about driving tweeters with just the HU's active crossovers for some crystal quality and plenty of power with just 15-20watts, getting better results than using the passive xovers and 50-80w rms. But that is a different subject and maybe complex for the average user, and a capable HU or sound processor
is needed to do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.