Battery disconnect /radio question - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 04-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
terryl
ROC Rank: Freshman
2014 EX-L NAVI
Crystal Black Pearl

Battery disconnect /radio question

Picked up a brake controller to install, recommended process is to disconnect the negative batt cable before doing the connection. From what I've read, Ill lose my radio presets and my trip odo data (no biggie) , but will I also need to re do the radio security code? Bought this ridge used and the previous owner didnt save the code anywhere I can find, so want to check before I disconnect just in case
terryl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
Lingered_I
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Re: Battery disconnect /radio question

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryl View Post
Picked up a brake controller to install, recommended process is to disconnect the negative batt cable before doing the connection. From what I've read, Ill lose my radio presets and my trip odo data (no biggie) , but will I also need to re do the radio security code? Bought this ridge used and the previous owner didnt save the code anywhere I can find, so want to check before I disconnect just in case
Yes, you will need the radio code and nav if you have that. You may also need to reset the auto-up on the drivers window.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #3
Goodview
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 *Not a Ridgeline Owner
Other

You'll also be redoing your idle learn procedure, so you might want to search the word 'code' to learn how to retrieve the serial number from your stereo and how to get hooked up with the Ownerlink site.

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login....d%5Fhome%2Easp You'll also be able to view any Recalls or TSB's specifically for your vehicle.
Goodview is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
roakey
2007 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

...and you might get lucky. Many dealers put the radio code on the left OUTSIDE of the glove box. In other words, sitting the diver's seat open the glove box and then, sitting normally in the diver's seat, look at the side of the glove box and see if you see a white tag there.

Roak
Old 04-19-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
terryl
ROC Rank: Freshman
2014 EX-L NAVI
Crystal Black Pearl

Thanks, (re radio code)- I bought the car a few months ago and checked the glovebox door as well as called the original dealer to see if they'd saved it in their records but nada on either.
So, I know this is at my own risk and all, but whats the issue if I just hook up the controller lead to the harness without disconnecting the neg first? Since the controller (Tekonsha P3) is removable and unpluggable at the controller side anyway, how does that differ if I were to plug/unplug at the controller end vs plugging in the connector lead at the harness up above the e/brake cable? Certainly dont want to fry my electronics but Im not clear what would be diferent doing it on one end vs the other since its simply plugging it in. If it makes any difference, looking up under the dash appears the prev owner had installed one before as teh lead is already un-taped and at the lower dash there are two holes where it appears they mounted their controller.
Attached Images

terryl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
e_piph_a_ny
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

You can retrieve your radio code from Honda Owner Link, you need to register your RL.

http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/
Attached Images

e_piph_a_ny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

The code is a 5 digit number, the number on the side of the glove box I found on mine is an 8 digit number, this is the serial number, with this number and your I'd or proof of ownership any dealer can give you the code at no charge.

Last edited by laserguy; 04-19-2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: xtra info
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
Goodview
2006 *Not a Ridgeline Owner
Other

To avoid some of these hassles, you can buy a gizmo at WalMart.

Keep in mind you have to plug it into a SECOND vehicle, or maybe a portable battery booster.

Attached Images

Goodview is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: Comma Club HOF 10,000+
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Yup, those work fine, this one uses a 9volt battery so you don't need another car and is cheaper. I think you can find these locally and not pay for shipping.

Amazon Amazon

You get a plug and wire up your own with a 9 volt battery. Generally a good idea to use a diode in the circuit so when you reconnect the car battery it does not overheat the 9volt. But generally that's only a problem if you forget the 9v is still plugged in.

Don't forget you need your ignition ON since the outlets do not work with it OFF.

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!

Last edited by rollinhonda; 05-27-2011 at 12:27 PM.
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
Elkhunter
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2007 RTS
Aberdeen Green Metallic

Just went to Radio Shack, picked up a couple lN4001 diodes (2 for $1.19) and will make one like

Not bad for about $0.60 and recycling some crap (in the form of an old car recharger from a dead cell phone)...instant computer memory saver!!!!

Full Size Spare, USA-Spec iPod adaptor, Westin powdercoated sidesteps, OEM tow hitch & harness, 2009 camera handle, Back-up camera, 3.6-inch Boyo Monitor (with second camera on rear of teardrop trailer), Trunk carpet, Trunk dividers, Billet Grill, Infinity Reference 1031t Tweeters, Full-time power to front and rear 12V outlets, Fumoto oil drain valve, FIGS G2 hood prop kit. Rhino 360B Hitch step, Rear Splashguards, 255/65/17 MS2's
Elkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.