Ridgelines CAN'T tow - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Racks, Hitches & Towing

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 06-25-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
AndrePS
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2007 RT
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Ridgelines CAN'T tow

Before I get all of you hating on me...I do Love my truck for general use. but towing......its not there. Sorry guys, its a thirsty dog.
I took my 16ft, deep V aluminum boat with 40horse, 2 kids, 2 adults inlcuding me and fsihing gear to Big Bear lake CA from Palm Springs. I think its about 80 miles each way. I went the back way through yucca, where its mostly flat and then one good hill climb for 18miles..
over 160 mile round trip I used 15 gallons. roughly 10.5 miles a gallon on a boat/trailer weighing maybe litle over 1000lbs? I dont know, I was hoping 14-16 with those long stretches of open road. I kept it at 60-65 and never pushed too hard.
thats just sad. Everything is fine. tires. oil, etc...
but the truck just can't tow. One word of advice for Honda trucks....Diesel
AndrePS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
TarheelGrad1998
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2008 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

Re: Ridgelines CAN'T tow

It CAN'T tow? Because it used more gas than you'd like??? Being a little melodramatic, are we?

I've never towed, so I can't judge from experience. But I notice you didn't complain about power, comfort, or any of the rest. So it does sound as though you just want to start a fight.
TarheelGrad1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
AndrePS
2007 RT
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Not starting a fight, and you never towed. Power is fine when not towing/hauling. thats it. Not going to sugar coat it or make up excuses to cover the fact its a dog.
I am complaining that it has such a bad gas milage for towing such a light load. I knew it was going to drop. but cutting the gas milage in half? 10mpgs? serious?
It is just pathetic. I can't Immagine towing a 3k-5k trailer. I will not be using RL to tow any more.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
Ian Brantford
2009 VP
Sterling Gray Metallic

Did you use premium fuel? I get about the same mileage as you... towing my 23' 5000 lb boat/trailer with the boat's tower up.

Many threads about towing here on the ROC make it boil down to mostly an issue of wind resistance over weight (if you are on mainly level ground). You might want to check to see if you are also dragging an open parachute.

Seriously though, what kind of fuel were you using? What is your usual highway mileage on this route at this speed when not towing?
Ian Brantford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
AndrePS
2007 RT
Nimbus Gray Metallic

I was using regular (87 octane). if got 3 more mpgs out of premium maybe I can justfi the extra cost. I get high teens when not towing.
I know what your saying about wind resistance, I just cant get over the fact its such a light load.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
mevers
2008 RTL
White / Beige

I've got a boat of similar size, a 17' aluminum bass boat that I trailer pretty regularly. I usually get 13-15mpg while towing with me and a buddy and all our gear, mostly through the flat midwest. It's unfortunate and who knows what the actual cause could be but it sounds more like you are an exception and not the rule. Maybe try switching gas as others have suggested. I always use 87octane but tend to get it from the same place around the corner, not even sure what the brand is but I do know not all gasoline is created equal.

"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." George S. Patton
mevers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
SpartanML
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Other

If only the truck had just 50 more ponies and about 60 more pound feet of torque, it could probably make a huge difference for these basic tow loads. I am pretty comfy when I say the truck is underpowered and it could use alot of extra oomph.
SpartanML is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
AndrePS
2007 RT
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanML View Post
If only the truck had just 50 more ponies and about 60 more pound feet of torque, it could probably make a huge difference for these basic tow loads. I am pretty comfy when I say the truck is underpowered and it could use alot of extra oomph.
and truck weight about 500 lbs lighter
Old 06-25-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
Elkhunter
2007 RTS
Aberdeen Green Metallic

Maybe if you weren't trying to tow 40 horses too

Full Size Spare, USA-Spec iPod adaptor, Westin powdercoated sidesteps, OEM tow hitch & harness, 2009 camera handle, Back-up camera, 3.6-inch Boyo Monitor (with second camera on rear of teardrop trailer), Trunk carpet, Trunk dividers, Billet Grill, Infinity Reference 1031t Tweeters, Full-time power to front and rear 12V outlets, Fumoto oil drain valve, FIGS G2 hood prop kit. Rhino 360B Hitch step, Rear Splashguards, 255/65/17 MS2's
Elkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
Ahab
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RT
Steel Blue / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePS View Post
I was using regular (87 octane). if got 3 more mpgs out of premium maybe I can justfi the extra cost. I get high teens when not towing.
I know what your saying about wind resistance, I just cant get over the fact its such a light load.
So use your Dodge Cummins. My good buddy has one too. We both can get 12-16 mpg running the same coarse towing the same load. I pay $3.50 a gallon, he pays $4.09 and we both get to our destination at the same time.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Racks, Hitches & Towing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.