Tailgate will not open - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
brad karadimas
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RT
Billet Silver / Gray

Angry Tailgate will not open

My tailgate is locked in closed position.Yes it is completely closed.I took it to the dealership they said they have not seen this before and could not fix.I took the top rail off removed the torx screws off the tailgate and removed the side panel to get a good look.Everything seems to work except the top lock on top right from outside. I disconnected the rod from the plastic retainer and when i pulled it offered no resistance. It seemed to be connected to the locking mechanism but the arm was pulling freely and not disegageing the lock.I can not figure out how to get the tailgate off other than cutting off the top locking post. I hope there is a better option.
Thanks Brad
brad karadimas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
Ourfarm09
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2011 RTS
Bali Blue Pearl

Re: Tailgate will not open

Welcome to the club...

Try this link
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...28&postcount=4

If you use the google search at the top of your page and type "tailgate wont open", it will bring up more posts on this.

AVS ventvisors, ROC decal,
Ourfarm09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
MikeT
Mall Ninja Moderator
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

I did a google search on this forum and found the following for you:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ad.php?t=26004

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ead.php?t=1346

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ad.php?t=38162

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...d.php?p=583603
Old 07-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
CrowMagnumMan
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad karadimas View Post
I took it to the dealership they said they have not seen this before and could not fix.
Find a new dealership fast.
06 Steel Blue RTL/Nav - OEM fog lights, OEM hood deflector, OEM rear mudflaps, OEM all-weather Ridgeline front mats, OEM trunk mat, OEM 4.73 Nav. disc, 5S Dude's license plate frame/door sills, E&G grill, chrome pinstripes, Raptor 4" oval SS side steps, SportWing side protectors w/ Ridgeline badges, chrome hubcap skins, Weather Tech rear floor mats, AVS window visors, FastLane heavy duty bed mat, chrome door handles, tailgate handle, taillight covers, mirror covers, and side vent strips.
CrowMagnumMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
dbotr
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Question Re: Tailgate will not open

I find this forum a premier place to acquire information on my Ridgeline. My tailgate refused to open in either the normal or swing. Took it to my local dealer and of course they were not familiar with the problem. After talking with the service manager and using his computer on your site we came the conclusion that it was a problem. The real issue for me was the fact he wanted to charge me 130.00 dollars to determine what was wrong. I have hondacare and pushed hard saying that it should be covered. Long story short it ended up being 3 broken clips of which he said 2 were covered by the hondacare and the third is not. Bottom line is is will cost me approx. 6 dollars to have fixed. Of which I dont understand why the 3rd clip isnt covered

06 Ridgeline 04 Element 00 C-rv
dbotr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
Ourfarm09
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2011 RTS
Bali Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbotr View Post
I find this forum a premier place to acquire information on my Ridgeline. My tailgate refused to open in either the normal or swing. Took it to my local dealer and of course they were not familiar with the problem. After talking with the service manager and using his computer on your site we came the conclusion that it was a problem. The real issue for me was the fact he wanted to charge me 130.00 dollars to determine what was wrong. I have hondacare and pushed hard saying that it should be covered. Long story short it ended up being 3 broken clips of which he said 2 were covered by the hondacare and the third is not. Bottom line is is will cost me approx. 6 dollars to have fixed. Of which I dont understand why the 3rd clip isnt covered

06 Ridgeline 04 Element 00 C-rv
They should have paid you since you had to do the research for them.

AVS ventvisors, ROC decal,
Ourfarm09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
Top K
2012 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

I have the OEM Tonneau Cover installed, and twice I have had problems opening the tailgate (either way). Have only had the truck 3 weeks now. It's as if the latches were locked. Each time I had to push the top of the tailgate really hard to get it to latch properly. I guess the Tonneau cover is preventing it from latching tightly on occasion.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
FTM1
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Location: Washington, DC & Southern Maryland Pax River Naval Air Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top K View Post
I have the OEM Tonneau Cover installed, and twice I have had problems opening the tailgate (either way). Have only had the truck 3 weeks now. It's as if the latches were locked. Each time I had to push the top of the tailgate really hard to get it to latch properly. I guess the Tonneau cover is preventing it from latching tightly on occasion.
It's two different problems that can cause this. I have had the OEM cover lock jam the tailgate & then there is the tailgate cable itself. The last time I thought it was the OEM cover lock but it was the other & the tailgate handles won't work.
BED EXTENDER +BODY COLORED SIDE PROTECTERS 35% Tint 2 sides OEM Hood Air Deflector/ Covercraft model UV10938 HEATSHIELD/OEM Window Visors+Moonroof Visor+ Under-Seat Storage Tray/LRV ProTecta Heavy Weight Bed Mat #LV6968 /Wet Okole Hawaii Seat Covers

2000 ACURA 3.2TL Navi NighthawkBlack Ebony
FTM1/ FRED
FTM1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
cdepuydt
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

I had something very similar to this happen to me also. I had something (bungee cord hook) stuck in the back of the trunk lid. So, when the trunk lid was closed, it pushed the trunk lid forward enough to interfere with the tailgate closing properly. Since the tailgate would not close completely/properly, the tailgate handles would not "reset", and would become unoperable (I would grab them and would not feel anything there. Almost like they had become disconnected).

The fix was super-simple. Remove bungee cord hook from back of trunk lid opening. Close. Close tailgate. Tailgate handles reset properly. 1 trip to the dealership, and a $125 later...Problem solved. I sure felt stupid.

You may want to check your cover to make sure it is not interfering with closing of the tailgate. As I said above, it doesn't take much, because if the handles don't reset for whatever reason, you can't get the dang thing (tailgate) open in either mode.

RTL w/Nav and Sunroof, Running boards, Bug deflector, Leer Cap, OEM Hitch, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Weathertech Floor Mats, OEM Foglights w/Painted Bezels, OEM Side Door Protectors, '10 Pilot Touring Wheels, Kumho Road Venture KL61 Tires (New in Oct. 2012 and New Again in May of 2014), new Monroe OE Spectrum Struts (New in May 2013), RTX/Accessory Grill, and Figs Hood Prop Kit.
cdepuydt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.