Timing belt job - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 07-31-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
thooks
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

Timing belt job

DONE!!! I did mine yesterday at 106,500 miles...

Man, what a long job. For a desk jockey, it was a great experience. I learned a lot and do NOT want to do that job again for a very long time. I will probably wait until 225K to do the next one.

The most valuable tool: The 3/8" flex head ratchet I bought Friday. Runner up- my 3/8" air ratchet. And I guess honorable mention goes to the
http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648796-Crankcase-Pulley-Removal/dp/B0000TMLWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312159933&sr=8-1 http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648796-Crankcase-Pulley-Removal/dp/B0000TMLWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312159933&sr=8-1
Crankshaft bolt removal tool. Well worth the $36 it took to get it in my hands.

Anyway, this was the most in-depth mechanical work I've done on my own. All by myself, except when my wife held the crankshaft tool while I put the pressure on the 19mm socket to break it free and she helped get the drive belt back on at the end.

There's a LOT of BS in this job as far as the crap you have to do, remove, snake around, etc. I guess that's the deal with working on cars today. I guess there's a lot more room in this truck than some of the cars with the V6 engines, tho.

All in all, I'm pretty darn proud of myself. I hit some gotchyas...the worst was realizing the back camshaft had rolled off of TDC when I was threading the new timing belt on. It did it three more times.

I've still got to replace the spark plugs and open the valve covers up to check the valves (I don't think there's anything wrong with the clearance, but just might go through the exercise for the fun of it.

Was it worth the $500 savings? Yeah. I'd still be wondering if I could do it. Now I know.
thooks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
thooks
2006 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

Re: Timing belt job

Oh yeah...

I will say that the Honda V6 video from Eric is the Car Guy was a great help ($10), Looking through my Honda service manual about 800 times over the last year was a fair help, too. The video is on an Accord V6, so it is not exactly the same as the Ridgeline/Pilot/Van, but it is close enough to get by. That and the manual will get'er done.

The tools needed for the job*:

10, 12, 14, 17mm sockets- in both short (reg) and deep 3/8" drive.
19mm deep, 1/2" drive
3/8" extension- 1" or 2", 3", 6", 20"
1/2" extension- 20"+
12mm and 14mm ratcheting, flex head wrenches
Long pattern 14mm wrench
An offset 14mm wrench is helpful also
3/8" ratchet (Flex head is valuable)
1/2" breaker bars (2 needed)
Plastic trim retaining screw/clip removal tool
Deadblow or Ball Peen hammer (helps nudge the water pump along)

Like I said, an air ratchet allows you to take a little break when putting the fasteners back in.

Flexible 10mm, 12mm and 14mm sockets would help. The 3/8" U-joint wasn't that great of a help, but I used it 2-3 times.

All variations of the tools above can be helpful.

*The Job includes:

Removing drive belt
Removing drive belt tensioner, timing covers, engine mount, power steering pump, cable connections, timing belt tensioner, crankshaft bolt/pulley, water pump.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
Mtnman
2006 RTS
Billet Silver / Gray

Congratulations

Did you do the CPK clear and learn(camshaft position) procedure? If so how?

I've been wanting to due mine but don't have access to a HDS black box.

Last edited by Mtnman; 07-31-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 05:25 AM   #4
thooks
2006 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

Yes. It's a simple procedure of getting it up to speed/rpm on a clear, flat road and letting it wind down.

I will get the procedure tonight out of the service manual for you.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:53 AM   #5
hawkeye16
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2006 RTS
Amazon Green / Olive

Congrats. I wouldn't know where to begin.
hawkeye16 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
twowheeled
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2006 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

awesome, how hard was the crankcase pully bolt to remove? I am hoping my 220ft/lb impact will be able to knock it off. A friend had to use a breaker bar with a fence post slipped over it on his integra motor!
twowheeled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Congrats on the TB replacement thooks. Great job.

Mtnman, here are both the Crank Pattern Learn (CKP) and Idle Learn Procedure (ILP) from the 2006-2008 FSM.

CKP:

ILP:

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #8
thooks
2006 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

twowheeled,

You aren't going to break the bolt loose with an impact...unless it is a 1" gun hooked to one of those large trailer-mounted compressors...in my opinion.

I had a 1/2" breaker bar on a 20" x 1/2" extension. On the breaker bar, I had a 28" long piece of 1-1/4" black iron pipe and it took a LOT of weight on it with about half of the pipe pulled off of the breaker bar. That had the length of the cheater assembly at about 3'.

I had the extension laying on a jack stand and my wife was down holding the big hexagon tool and 1/2" breaker bar with a piece of 1" pipe on it.

There was a loud *POP* when it came loose.

I would say at least 400 lbs of torque was on it.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
twowheeled
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2006 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

dang!! now I see why my friend used a fence post as a cheater bar. What is the bolt torqued back to, hopefully not over 200ftlbs??
twowheeled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeled View Post
dang!! now I see why my friend used a fence post as a cheater bar. What is the bolt torqued back to, hopefully not over 200ftlbs??
The FSM says 47 lb-ft... and then another 60* turn... whatever that number is.

I wonder what the actual number would be?

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.