Things Honda should change in 2012/2013 for the Ridgeline - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Dear Honda: (Feedback Forum)

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
MuddyCountryKid
ROC Rank: Freshman
2007 RT
Billet Silver Metallic

Things Honda should change in 2012/2013 for the Ridgeline

Honda should break off a piece of their best engineers and designers to transform the ridgeline from an SUT to just a truck. Yes the RL is quite versatile with the 2 way tailgate, under bed trunk, folding rear seats and its overall look but for someone who uses it as a SUT and needs a truck occasionally, it can't really compare to a full size pickup. I think and I'm sure many others would agree that the RL needs some upgrades. Such as a real truck frame. This would allow for more towing capacity of course. This upgraded frame would also allow for the much desired lift kit. A solid axle setup is not nessesary for offroading but surely would help for those consumers. To work with the frame it would need a V8, or a V6 comparable to fords ecoboost V6. And attached to that engine would be a stronger trans to work with that power. The drivetrain should include the standard 4x4 features most trucks have, instead of having power in the rear for 18 mph at a time. You might be thinking that this would be wasteful because it would be like any other truck now, but the thing that would still set this monster apart would be the "Honda Touch". Every other truck lacks a duel action tailgate, an under bed trunk, 40 cubic feet of storage in the rear of the cab with seats up, all the spaces for nic nacs, chargers, phones, food, drinks and other junk, so this would be in all the ultimate truck because of hondas innovations. The upgrade of the RL would put Honda in the truck market along side of Toyota and Nissan.
2007 RT, extang bed cover, 2 navigator driving lights(behind grille),OEM roof rack(black), 4 navigator spot/offroad lights on roof rack, black ice car freshener, 3rd infantry division window sticker, 2 metal relay switches for lights.
MuddyCountryKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Wicked
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2008 RTS
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Re: Things Honda should change in 2012/2013 for the Ridgeline

Wicked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Ourfarm09
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2011 RTS
Bali Blue Pearl

With those kind of changes, you don't want a Ridgeline, you just want a regular pick-up truck, ie Chevy, Dodge, or Ford. Maybe you bought the wrong kind of truck for your needs.

AVS ventvisors, ROC decal,
Ourfarm09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
larryr
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2009 *Former Ridgeline Owner
White / Beige

Honda would lose what Ridgeline customers it has. I do not want a truck like the big 3 make. I want a weekend warrior truck. Exactly what Honda Delivered.

The sad part is 95% of all pickup truck drivers do not need any more than the Ridgeline delivers.

It is not a work truck for hauling a trailer. It is ok for the once or twice that I need to tow a trailer 5 or 6 miles.

It is comfortable, and has plenty of pep. 10 years from now when all vehicles will only have 77 horsepower to meet the 2011 CAFE, we will have vehicles that everyone will want to own.

Go back and look what cars and trucks from the 1950's came standard with. Trucks did not come with V8 engines (you could order them with it), they came with a small 6 cylinder engine that had less than 100 hp.

If you need the power of a super duty ford - get one, don't ask Honda to make a Peterbuilt or Mack truck.

I like the size of my Ridgeline - it fits in the Garage just fine.

It is not the truck for my daughter, she needs an F350 dually and that is what she drives.

I love my Accord with a pickup truck bed - oops I meant to say Ridgeline as it is. I would love to see Honda remove the Macho front end and put something that would give me a few MPG more by being more Aerodynamic. the Brick front end makes the MPG suck. I think a longer sloping windshield and front end more like the Odyssey would help with the MPG on the highway.

I would love to see Honda lower the towing to 1000 lbs and give me 3 more MPG in the city with a CVT transmission.

Thank Goodness that Honda's manufacturing plants cannot make a vehicle larger than the current Ridgeline. I would not want anything bigger.

See opinions are line a**holes - everyone has one.

The 199 fill ups on my 2009 Ridgeline - I just had 8 wonderful years in the Ridgeline but the Electronics are too many generations behind.

Last edited by larryr; 08-10-2011 at 09:19 PM.
larryr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
Embo_9
ROC Rank: Junior
2010 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyCountryKid View Post
Honda should break off a piece of their best engineers and designers to transform the ridgeline from an SUT to just a truck. Yes the RL is quite versatile with the 2 way tailgate, under bed trunk, folding rear seats and its overall look but for someone who uses it as a SUT and needs a truck occasionally, it can't really compare to a full size pickup. I think and I'm sure many others would agree that the RL needs some upgrades. Such as a real truck frame. This would allow for more towing capacity of course. This upgraded frame would also allow for the much desired lift kit. A solid axle setup is not nessesary for offroading but surely would help for those consumers. To work with the frame it would need a V8, or a V6 comparable to fords ecoboost V6. And attached to that engine would be a stronger trans to work with that power. The drivetrain should include the standard 4x4 features most trucks have, instead of having power in the rear for 18 mph at a time. You might be thinking that this would be wasteful because it would be like any other truck now, but the thing that would still set this monster apart would be the "Honda Touch". Every other truck lacks a duel action tailgate, an under bed trunk, 40 cubic feet of storage in the rear of the cab with seats up, all the spaces for nic nacs, chargers, phones, food, drinks and other junk, so this would be in all the ultimate truck because of hondas innovations. The upgrade of the RL would put Honda in the truck market along side of Toyota and Nissan.
I disagree. A real frame will bring a real rough truck ride. Like all the rest. Honda has to refine the RL not copycat all the rest.

Former owner '06 Ridgeline RTL Redrock Pearl
'10 Ridgeline RTL Crystal Black
'06 VW Touareg Colorado Red
Embo_9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
SpartanML
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Other

Sounds like the F-150 Ecoboost is the truck for you.
SpartanML is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
Rock-Cop
ROC Rank: Senior
2010 RTL
Alabaster Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyCountryKid View Post
Hopefully you didn't actually believe this opinion would be well received on the ROC. Let the flames begin.
Rock-Cop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
SSNOS
2011 RT
Polished Metal Metallic

I just picked up my 2011 RL tonight. I traded in a Nissan 350z and a Nissan Titan. I chose the RL because it had the best of the two I traded in. I wanted the utility of a truck for the bed and towing. I also wanted something in the midsize suv class that's smaller than a fullsize truck and still had decent gas mileage for longer trips.

The RL was just that. I can't tow 7000+ pounds like my Titan, but my titan only got 13mpg and was too big to find parking when I went into the city.

If they redesigned the RL to what post#1 and #4 suggest, I would not have chosen the RL at all.

On another note. A truck frame does not always mean a rougher ride. My Titan was pretty smooth, in fact I think it's smoother than my new RL.

OP, you sound like you want to undo evolution kill off a very mild mannered refined suv/truck.

Last edited by SSNOS; 08-10-2011 at 10:20 PM.
SSNOS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
MuddyCountryKid
ROC Rank: Freshman
2007 RT
Billet Silver Metallic

No, I expected such reaction, but there are some things I would have changed if I were the ridgeline engineers and designers that work well for others. I don't use my RL as a work truck but it would be nice to keep the look of the RL with the offroad and work capabilities of a larger truck. I didn't by any means intend to bash the RL, just wanted to share ideas.
2007 RT, extang bed cover, 2 navigator driving lights(behind grille),OEM roof rack(black), 4 navigator spot/offroad lights on roof rack, black ice car freshener, 3rd infantry division window sticker, 2 metal relay switches for lights.
MuddyCountryKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #10
SSNOS
2011 RT
Polished Metal Metallic

Muddy, I dont see you as bashing at all. Just think that the reccomended changes would nearly kill off all the features that make the RL what it is now. I like the SUT idea.
SSNOS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Dear Honda: (Feedback Forum)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.