Front brakes make grinding sound when stopping. - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 08-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
Tnridgeliner
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Front brakes make grinding sound when stopping.

Every time I come to a stop, my front brakes make a grinding sound as if the rivets in the pads are rubbing against the disks! The pads are only 8 months old and just 10% worn. Any suggestions?
Tnridgeliner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
RustyH
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Re: Front brakes make grinding sound when stopping.

Stop driving immediately, pull both tires off and do a complete inspection of the pads, rotors, mounting brackets and calipers. Report back what you find. I'm guessing either a separated brake pad or loose caliper bracket bolts.
06 RTL, 2011 ROTY billet cubby cover, door sills and license plate frame. Polished Billet Grills, Custom paint, 275/45R/20 Yokohama tires on Rozzi Octane wheels. caliper covers, custom airbag suspension. Kenwood DVD Player, Rockford Power T15004 Amplifier, Six Rockford Power 6.5" speakers and 2 10" downfiring subs. Custom 3 color Wet Okle seat covers. Airraid CAI, throttle body spacer, Magnaflow muffler, Truxedo Pro Tonneau Cover, Hidden Hitch, smoked head and taillights.
RustyH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #3
kevin_stevens
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 RTS
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Is it a rotational, once-per-wheel-turn kind of noise, or a constant grinding based on how hard you're pressing the brake pedal?

KeS
kevin_stevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
CUinaRidge
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Where the slides lubricated?

Small rock or pebble wedged in there??
CUinaRidge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 05:52 AM   #5
Tnridgeliner
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

My initial post may come across a bit exaggerated. The brakes work fine. When coming to a slow stop (2-5mph) there is a faint grinding sound when pressing pedal.

Its definitely coming from the front (both sides) and is constant when brakes are applied in forward or reverse. Sounds like metal to metal rub!

The sound is NOT present while driving down the road or braking from higher speeds, just when coming to a complete stop. Disks appear smooth and pads pretty new.

I gotta get a jack that will lift this beast in order to check caliper bolts and if slides are lubed good. I just bought this 06 RTL 4 months ago with 90k miles.
Sorry for not completely explaining.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:54 AM   #6
Tnridgeliner
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_stevens View Post
Is it a rotational, once-per-wheel-turn kind of noise, or a constant grinding based on how hard you're pressing the brake pedal?

KeS
The second one Kevin.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:24 AM   #7
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

I have a long frame floor jack that I use on the central jack points to lift the RL high enough to put jackstands under the side jackpoints. Once I have all 4 corners on jackstands, it's time to get down to business!

Sitting on two jackstands:

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

That looks so much easier than doing one wheel at a time. I have a 2 1/4 ton jack, though. I don't think it's heavy-duty enough to lift the entire front or back of the truck at the same time. One wheel at a time might be the only method I'll be able to follow. The one I have works just fine for our Accord, but I have yet to have to jack up the Ridge. I'm planning on doing it over the next few weeks to replace the pads and do a brake fluid change.

Anyways, Tnridgeliner, does this grinding noise still happen even after you've been driving for a while? Usually, if the truck sits overnight and there is any moisture in the air, you'll get some oxidation on the rotors that will rub off after the first few applications of the brakes. Has this just started happening, or has it been going on since you first put the brakes on? As was asked before, did you make sure the slide pins were lubed? That seems to be a commonly overlooked thing that can affect braking performance/sound. I'm not quite sure if it would cause the grinding sound like you're describing though...
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
kevin_stevens
2008 RTS
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnridgeliner View Post
The second one Kevin.
Ok, different than mine then, I'm no help.

KeS
Old 08-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
kevin_stevens
2008 RTS
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRTL View Post
That looks so much easier than doing one wheel at a time. I have a 2 1/4 ton jack, though. I don't think it's heavy-duty enough to lift the entire front or back of the truck at the same time. One wheel at a time might be the only method I'll be able to follow. The one I have works just fine for our Accord, but I have yet to have to jack up the Ridge. I'm planning on doing it over the next few weeks to replace the pads and do a brake fluid change.
Why not? You're only picking up half the truck, that's almost exactly half of your jack's *working* capacity. Usually the only problem with the jack is if the handle angle is too low to pump effectively.

KeS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.