Local Dealer's Timing Belt Change Deal - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
atoyota4x4
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2006 RTL
White / Olive

Local Dealer's Timing Belt Change Deal

My local Honda Dealer has a coupon currently for the Timing Belt and Water pump to be changed for a cost of $270.00 for V6's. I called to confirm that my Ridgeline qualified for that and was told that it did as the coupon stated in fine print "most V6's".

My question is, what else would you suggest I confirm is included before making the decision on whether to let them do it or do it myself. I have no doubt I could do it since I did the one on our Pilot. The cost of the belt, pump and antifreeze alone would run me $150 or so and a decent day completing the job. I'm more than happy to pay a dealer $100 more bucks to save me the hassle.
atoyota4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
rappkim
ROC Rank: Freshman

Re: Local Dealer's Timing Belt Change Deal

Sounds like a come-on. My dealer quoted me a price of $1150 for timing belt and water pump.
rappkim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
RustyH
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Find out what exactly is included in the dealer offer. If you want a complete job, including tensioner, pulleys, new gaskets, ect, I'll bet you find that will cost a bit more. Still it might be a good deal and at least the repair will be covered by the dealership.
06 RTL, 2011 ROTY billet cubby cover, door sills and license plate frame. Polished Billet Grills, Custom paint, 275/45R/20 Yokohama tires on Rozzi Octane wheels. caliper covers, custom airbag suspension. Kenwood DVD Player, Rockford Power T15004 Amplifier, Six Rockford Power 6.5" speakers and 2 10" downfiring subs. Custom 3 color Wet Okle seat covers. Airraid CAI, throttle body spacer, Magnaflow muffler, Truxedo Pro Tonneau Cover, Hidden Hitch, smoked head and taillights.
RustyH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

That's an incredible deal if it's on the up and up.

I've had a couple of local quotes in the 900-940 range to include the TB, WP, serpentine belt, spark plugs, and then it varies with the higher quote covering both tensioners, and seals, etc. One dealer price and one local indie shop price.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
thooks
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

I had nearly $300 in parts, all Honda OEM and at a significant discount from the local dealer (I ordered the parts through an online dealer).

All told, I had about $500 in parts and a few new tools. I did the timing belt, serp belt, water pump, tensioner, spark plugs and 2 gallons of coolant.

Priced out at the local dealers in Atlanta, that was $1600.
thooks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
atoyota4x4
2006 RTL
White / Olive

After really asking a lot of questions to the dealer, it turns out to be what I would call a scam. Did you know that refilling with antifreeze is extra? WOW! Isnt that part of the job? Oh well, I will do it all myself. They are such crooks.
atoyota4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
lovestheh2o
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

$1600!!!! wow, thats well over $1,000 in labor.. waaaaaayyyy too much.
lovestheh2o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
lovestheh2o
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

here's my question, what does this valvetrain adjustment entail? like if I were to change everything myself and I dont know what/how to adjust the valvetrain? is it something down with the timing belt removed?
lovestheh2o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
FTM1
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Location: Washington, DC & Southern Maryland Pax River Naval Air Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestheh2o View Post
$1600!!!! wow, thats well over $1,000 in labor.. waaaaaayyyy too much.
That price sounds about on the mark. I had the samething done to my 2000 Acura TL at the dealership
back a few months ago. It should be about the same for the Ridgeline.
The platinum spark plugs were not part of the package so that was about $300 extra. The Timing Belt package total was $1,132.
BED EXTENDER +BODY COLORED SIDE PROTECTERS 35% Tint 2 sides OEM Hood Air Deflector/ Covercraft model UV10938 HEATSHIELD/OEM Window Visors+Moonroof Visor+ Under-Seat Storage Tray/LRV ProTecta Heavy Weight Bed Mat #LV6968 /Wet Okole Hawaii Seat Covers
Honda Ridgeline Truck Utility with Crossover DriveAbility
2000 ACURA 3.2TL Navi NighthawkBlack Ebony
FTM1/ FRED
FTM1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #10
thooks
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

I was quoted roughly $900 for "the timing belt job", which did not include a new timing belt tensioner. They wanted another $140 or so for that. It's an $85 part and they wanted $55 in pure profit. Yes, all you dealership mechanics, it's pure profit. You take the old one off anyway, or you should, according to the service manual.

I was quoted $550 or so for the spark plug replacement. The plugs are $13-15 each at the retail parts houses (yes, the same exact plugs the dealers sell for +$23 each.) It took me roughly an hour to replace the plugs.
thooks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.